2023 #7 Prospect Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF

Tony-OH

9 minutes ago, now said:

It's not a bad thing; it just kind of undercuts the value of the stolen base, compared to getting into scoring position for a higher batting average guy like Holliday. Optimum would be Bradfield 9 Holliday 1, or Bradfield 1 Holliday 2. Then bring on the rest of murderer's row. :)

If the stolen base increases the chance of a walk I'm not sure that hurts it's value.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the stolen base increases the chance of a walk I'm not sure that hurts it's value.

That's kind of backwards from what I was suggesting. Just that that higher the walk rate of the batter, the less need for the runner on first to try to steal second. 

2 minutes ago, now said:

That's kind of backwards from what I was suggesting. Just that that higher the walk rate of the batter, the less need for the runner on first to try to steal second. 

Ahh, I thought you were suggesting that pitchers would pitch carefully to Adley or Gunnar with first base open thus increasing their chances of getting a walk.

14 hours ago, now said:

It's not a bad thing; it just kind of undercuts the value of the stolen base, compared to getting into scoring position for a higher batting average guy like Holliday. Optimum would be Bradfield 9 Holliday 1, or Bradfield 1 Holliday 2. Then bring on the rest of murderer's row. :)

I'm with @Can_of_corn. There really isn't any situational difference between Bradfield getting a walk/single/SB as opposed to a double.  The more people on base and in scoring position the better. 

• 2 months later...

I thought of another pretty good comp for Bradfield - Willie Wilson, former Royals CF who had a .285/.326/.375 line, stole 668 bases and was a plus CF.   I think Bradfield will have a bigger BA/OBP spread than Wilson, but otherwise that’s a pretty good fit.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought of another pretty good comp for Bradfield - Willie Wilson, former Royals CF who had a .285/.326/.375 line, stole 668 bases and was a plus CF.   I think Bradfield will have a bigger BA/OBP spread than Wilson, but otherwise that’s a pretty good fit.   

That’s a pretty good comp. Considering Holliday is going to our leadoff hitter for a longtime. EBJ looks ticketed for 9th, but that’s not a bad thing. After the first to around through the lineup he’d be better in front of Holliday each time. 

I also think he needs somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 seasons in the minors. Wanting faster than that is setting yourself up for disappointment. 

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I also think he needs somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 seasons in the minors. Wanting faster than that is setting yourself up for disappointment. 

No reason it needs to be faster than 1.5 seasons.   If Bradfield can have a Beavers-like progression this year, doing well at AA in the second half, I’ll be very happy with that.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That’s a pretty good comp. Considering Holliday is going to our leadoff hitter for a longtime. EBJ looks ticketed for 9th, but that’s not a bad thing. After the first to around through the lineup he’d be better in front of Holliday each time. 

If he needs 2+ years, he very likely will not be an everyday MLer(unless he has had some bad injuries that slowed his development).

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By this logic, I guess you think Cowser will be a bust?

I reworded it…bust wasn’t the right word.

Cowser is a little different in that he started at a time where the Os weren’t pushing guys through as fast as they did last year and likely will going forward if guys show they are ready to move.  

Bradfield also was drafted as a guy who could be a MLer right now in terms of defense at a premium position and his speed.

He also has an incumbent in front of him who is going to be on the wrong side of 30 soon and is a FA soon.

He also came from a far better baseball school and far better baseball conference.

In other words, it’s an apples to oranges comp.

That being said, Cowser could have been on the OD roster in 2023 and he certainly was ready within a few months of that. That is less than 2 total years from the day he was drafted, which would put Bradfield on track to starting OD of 2025 or shortly after , which is my prediction.

If Bradfield isn’t showing that he is ready for the majors within the next 2 years, he will be failing with the bat in the minors.  Zero doubt about that.,again, unless he has some bad injuries that take  away time.

Edited by Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cowser is a little different in that he started at a time where the Os weren’t pushing guys through as fast as they did last year and likely will going forward if guys show they are ready to move.  

Bradfield also was drafted as a guy who could be a MLer right now in terms of defense at a premium position and his speed.

He also has an incumbent in front of him who is going to be on the wrong side of 30 soon and is a FA soon.

He also came from a far better baseball school and far better baseball conference.

That being said, Cowser could have been on the OD roster in 2023 and he certainly was ready within a few months of that. That is less than 2 total years from the day he was drafted, which would put Bradfield on track to starting OD of 2025 or shortly after , which is my prediction.

If Bradfield isn’t showing that he is ready for the majors within the next 2 years, he will be failing with the bat in the minors.  Zero doubt about that.,again, unless he has some bad injuries that take  away time.

The way I see it, unless the O’s choose to trade Mullins, he’ll be our starting CF the next two years, so there’s no need to rush Bradfield.  I see him getting his feet wet sometime in the second half of 2025 and then stepping up to starting CF in 2026 if all goes well.   

It seems like Bradfield needs some work on his swing.  Sometimes players adapt to swing changes quickly, other times it takes a while.  I’m not going to panic if Bradfield doesn’t light the world on fire right away.   But on the other hand, I’ll be very excited if he does.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cowser, who went from Aberdeen to Norfolk in one season came before prospects were being aggressively promoted?    

Bradfield  on the OD 2025 man roster would be the quickest college draftee of the Orioles to make it to the majors.  Possible but extremely unlikely.  2026 is realistic and he would hardly be a disappointment if he did that.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The way I see it, unless the O’s choose to trade Mullins, he’ll be our starting CF the next two years, so there’s no need to rush Bradfield.  I see him getting his feet wet sometime in the second half of 2025 and then stepping up to starting CF in 2026 if all goes well.   

It seems like Bradfield needs some work on his swing.  Sometimes players adapt to swing changes quickly, other times it takes a while.  I’m not going to panic if Bradfield doesn’t light the world on fire right away.   But on the other hand, I’ll be very excited if he does.  

The only reasons to keep Mullins for 2025 are because he was really good in 2024 AND Bradfield is clearly showing he’s not only not ready for OD of 2025 but not likely ready until far into the 2025 season. 

He does have to work on his hitting…and if that’s successful, he will be in AAA sometime in August, if not before. 

So, if he’s hitting well through all 3 levels of the minors this year, it should become apparent that trading Mullins in his final arb year and not paying him big money is the right move.

The scenario that would really suck is if Bradfield really struggles and Mullins does as well. That puts the team in a very tough spot for CF in 2025.