Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I was hoping we would get an insider to pop into this thread and give us some backroom secrets on the offseason negotiations and plans.  I had no idea JA himself was going to pop in and give himself a pat on the back.  Welcome! :) 

Time for a digital kegstand!

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I was hoping we would get an insider to pop into this thread and give us some backroom secrets on the offseason negotiations and plans.  I had no idea JA himself was going to pop in and give himself a pat on the back.  Welcome! :) 

I guess the name Nashville O was already taken.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who of Cowser/Kjerstad is slated to be on the OD roster?

13 position players 

vs RHP

1. Mullins L CF

2. Adley S C

3. Gunnar L SS

4. Santa S RF

5. Mounty R 1B

6. O’Hearn L DH

7. Hays R LF

8. Westburg R 2B

9. Urias R 3B

Mateo, McCann, Hilliard, Hicks/Mckenna/Ortiz

Are you saying we will re-sign Hicks? And that Sam Hilliard will make the roster over Kjerstad?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

After doing such a deep dive on this the past month+, you start to see how the big national writers just throw stuff out there.  The Stroman to NYY talk started with Stroman basically calling the NYY and saying "I'm interested".  From there the story picked to interest -> mutual interest ->to now the NYY being the frontrunners.  haha.  We just gotta start following @Sports Guy's twitter for actual breaking news.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who of Cowser/Kjerstad is slated to be on the OD roster?

13 position players 

vs RHP

1. Mullins L CF

2. Adley S C

3. Gunnar L SS

4. Santa S RF

5. Mounty R 1B

6. O’Hearn L DH

7. Hays R LF

8. Westburg R 2B

9. Urias R 3B

Mateo, McCann, Hilliard, Hicks/Mckenna/Ortiz

Hilliard is 29 year old out of options waiver claim who was only healthy enough to play in 44 games last year and has a wRC+ of 78 in 717 career MLB plate appearances. He is purely a depth option and claimed because the Orioles like something about his profile, similar to O’Hearn last year, and if everyone is healthy in Spring Training they probably hope to stash him in AAA on Opening Day by him accepting the assignment so he doesn’t lose his arb MLB salary.

The biggest question is what they do about backup CF. If they need McKenna or some equivalent righty/defense option, that shortens the bench. I think they will decide they are ok with Hays (or even Cowser or Mateo) as the backup CF.

Assuming no trades, I think Holliday starts OD in AAA and the bench is Cowser/Kjerstad, Urias, Mateo and McCann, with Ortiz a starting IF with Gunnar/Westburg and Cowser/Kjerstad getting regular ABs from off days (or injuries) for Mullins, Hays, Santander, Mountcastle and especially O’Hearn.

Kjerstad/Cowser could also easily quickly earn a “starting” job away from O’Hearn by outperforming him, he’s not going to stand in the way of a top prospect getting playing time that shows they deserve it and he can be the bench bat.

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

JA wont spend money? I wont go to sleep on him just. Remember he was the one who hired Mike Elias, and has spent 10s of millions on internal modern analytics, scouting and player development. Thats part of it another part is the 10s of millions hes spent to bring the orioles into dramatic relevance (VS.  5 years ago) in the international player market. Another part is every ARB eligible Orioles was tendered (= pay raise) Has he extended anybody? not yet.What hes hasn't done (other than the early PA years) is do an Orioles specialty since the late 90,s handing one stupid ass FA contract right after the other> Hopefully those days are over for us. He should be applauded for that    

If this is John Angelos or one of his cronies:  Hi.  The vast majority of Baltimore strongly dislikes you.

• Haha 1

JA wont spend money? I wont go to sleep on him just. Remember he was the one who hired Mike Elias, and has spent 10s of millions on internal modern analytics, scouting and player development. Thats part of it another part is the 10s of millions hes spent to bring the orioles into dramatic relevance (VS.  5 years ago) in the international player market. Another part is every ARB eligible Orioles was tendered (= pay raise) Has he extended anybody? not yet.What hes hasn't done (other than the early PA years) is do an Orioles specialty since the late 90,s handing one stupid ass FA contract right after the other> Hopefully those days are over for us. He should be applauded for that    

John - great to see you here. Put your money where your mouth is and go sign Snell, putting an end to this Cease madness.

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

As a headliner, no, obviously not,  but he was the 4th player in a proposed 4 player package that also included Povich and Ortiz.

I guess…I would think the prefer a lottery ticket type guy.

It looks like the payroll including projected arb raises is close to $85 million or around $24 million more than 2023 and I I'll be very surprised if another pitcher isn't added.  Elias, Sig, player development improvements and an increased international presence have vastly improved the outlook for the O's moving forward.

Now all he needs to do is replace his PR firm with one that can convince him to keep his mouth shut in public.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I guess…I would think the prefer a lottery ticket type guy.

I'm not sure I would prefer an 18 year old Dominican lottery ticket over a guy with 5 years of control remaining who can reach 97 MPH on his fastball and has already had some success at the MLB level, and who can immediately take on some of their 2024 innings, but maybe the White Sox prefer that arrangement.

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Hilliard is 29 year old out of options waiver claim who was only healthy enough to play in 44 games last year and has a wRC+ of 78 in 717 career MLB plate appearances. He is purely a depth option and claimed because the Orioles like something about his profile, similar to O’Hearn last year, and if everyone is healthy in Spring Training they probably hope to stash him in AAA on Opening Day by him accepting the assignment so he doesn’t lose his arb MLB salary.

The biggest question is what they do about backup CF. If they need McKenna or some equivalent righty/defense option, that shortens the bench. I think they will decide they are ok with Hays (or even Cowser or Mateo) as the backup CF.

Assuming no trades, I think Holliday starts OD in AAA and the bench is Cowser/Kjerstad, Urias, Mateo and McCann, with Ortiz a starting IF with Gunnar/Westburg and Cowser/Kjerstad getting regular ABs from off days (or injuries) for Mullins, Hays, Santander, Mountcastle and especially O’Hearn.

Kjerstad/Cowser could also easily quickly earn a “starting” job away from O’Hearn by outperforming him, he’s not going to stand in the way of a top prospect getting playing time that shows they deserve it and he can be the bench bat.

Hilliard is the back up CF.  Mateo as well.  

Kjerstad and Cowser are in AAA until an everyday spot in the lineup opens up, or they come up for a short period of time because of injury.  

Honestly, that's why I say that we can afford to trade away Westburg and one of Cowser/Kjerstad if need be for Cease.  Westburg's role could be replaced by Ortiz until Holliday and Mayo are ready.  Cowser and Kjerstad are both ticketed for AAA if the lineup is healthy and performing.  Plus, adding Wells to the pen would likely give us just about the same value as a Stephenson, Neris, or Jordan Hicks would.  

Edited by sportsfan8703