Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Has this been posted before?

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/could-this-orioles-trade-package-land-white-sox-ace-cease-brad9

Discusses a proposal that “Chicago White Sox trade Dylan Cease to the Baltimore Orioles for Joey Ortiz, Kyle Stowers, Justin Armbruester, Trace Bright, and Jud Fabian” and opines that “[t]his package is something that Chicago should jump all over.”

Thoughts?

This would be hysterical if this or something like this happened. 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This would be hysterical if this or something like this happened. 

I don't think that's too far off from what it would take, in terms of prospect value. I think the Sox will likely prefer a package that's more pitching oriented, but I don't see them getting something like Cowser+ for a guy a year removed from his only truly outstanding year. Cease's 2023 negated a lot of value, and I'll be surprised if the WS successfully pry away a prospect more highly rated than Ortiz from anybody. 

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

Has this been posted before?

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/could-this-orioles-trade-package-land-white-sox-ace-cease-brad9

Discusses a proposal that “Chicago White Sox trade Dylan Cease to the Baltimore Orioles for Joey Ortiz, Kyle Stowers, Justin Armbruester, Trace Bright, and Jud Fabian” and opines that “[t]his package is something that Chicago should jump all over.”

Thoughts?

Would jump all over that. Can't imagine the Sox will.

8 hours ago, deward said:

I don't think that's too far off from what it would take, in terms of prospect value.

I don’t think it’s impossible that a 5-player trade headlined by Ortiz could work, assuming the White Sox’s relative valuation is favorable.  However, the other four pieces would need to be MUCH higher quality than players such as Armbruester and Fabian.  At least 3 of our top 15 and inclusion of high-upside international talent (e.g., De Leon, Tavera, Liranzo, etc.).  

Any deal that works will be controversial on this board rather a slam dunk for us.

2 hours ago, Warehouse said:

I don’t think it’s impossible that a 5-player trade headlined by Ortiz could work, assuming the White Sox’s relative valuation is favorable.  However, the other four pieces would need to be MUCH higher quality than players such as Armbruester and Fabian.  At least 3 of our top 15 and inclusion of high-upside international talent (e.g., De Leon, Tavera, Liranzo, etc.).  

Any deal that works will be controversial on this board rather a slam dunk for us.

It really depends on how the Sox value those players, but I would argue that 3 of the top 15 plus other pieces is too rich for Cease. I think something like Ortiz/Norby/++ or Ortiz/Povich/++ could very well get it done. Assuming Elias thinks Cease is the right guy for the one big deal he can swing without eating into the potential future lineup. 

17 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I would definitely rather do Fabian plus than Cowser but I think I would still do Cowser Ortiz. That is pretty much my absolute limit offer but still maybe not enough if Sox are set on Mayo.

You can successfully argue that one of Cowser/Kjerstad and Ortiz are talented but nonetheless surplus; objectively it's a solid basis for a trade even so.  The O's MiL pitching isn't a surplus and right now the O's top three look like they're too valuable to part with.  So if the WS insist on one of Holliday, Mayo or Basallo, and won't budge, then there simply isn't a match and Elias should move on.  Lot's of flexibility before that point though.

MLBTR Chat

Up in the air

8:38

Who says no? Westburg, Stowers, Pham, and Wagner for Cease or

Mark P

8:39

That's a pretty good offer, even if the White Sox are reportedly/seemingly looking to add pitching.  They'd probably want a higher-tier pitching prospect than Pham.

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

MLBTR Chat

Up in the air

8:38

Who says no? Westburg, Stowers, Pham, and Wagner for Cease or

Mark P

8:39

That's a pretty good offer, even if the White Sox are reportedly/seemingly looking to add pitching.  They'd probably want a higher-tier pitching prospect than Pham.

Why would Elias trade Westburg?