Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

16 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/top100/

We can all agree - Joey Ortiz is not headlining a Jesus Luzardo or Dylan Cease deal now right? 

Did someone here suggest that?  if so, I think most people here understand that, in the marketplace, Cease is worth more than Ortiz as the headliner and it really doesn't serve the discussion to keep going back to that.

40 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Did someone here suggest that?  if so, I think most people here understand that, in the marketplace, Cease is worth more than Ortiz as the headliner and it really doesn't serve the discussion to keep going back to that.

Most do…but there has been some suggestion that he could/should headline a deal for Cease.  It’s not founded on anything realistic though and it’s not really worth mentioning because it’s that absurd.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Most do…but there has been some suggestion that he could/should headline a deal for Cease.  It’s not founded on anything realistic though and it’s not really worth mentioning because it’s that absurd.

In the end, Cease is worth what the marketplace says he's worth - it's still an auction in the end and right now my interest is turning to what Elias chooses to do as the offseason winds down.  If Getz doesn't trade Cease before Opening Day then he's a fool IMO but that's only the Orioles' problem if Elias lets it.  Elias says he's being aggressive and I believe him, but after last year's success it's completely fair to focus on actual improvements for 2024.  The O's still need another SP and he ought to be a difference-maker.

22 minutes ago, 24fps said:

In the end, Cease is worth what the marketplace says he's worth - it's still an auction in the end and right now my interest is turning to what Elias chooses to do as the offseason winds down.  If Getz doesn't trade Cease before Opening Day then he's a fool IMO but that's only the Orioles' problem if Elias lets it.  Elias says he's being aggressive and I believe him, but after last year's success it's completely fair to focus on actual improvements for 2024.  The O's still need another SP and he ought to be a difference-maker.

If Getz is smart he will trade Robert too.  It looks like Getz/WS are trying to retool instead of rebuild and O's fans know how well that usually works. 

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Getz is smart he will trade Robert too.  It looks like Getz/WS are trying to retool instead of rebuild and O's fans know how well that usually works. 

If it were me, that's what I would do as well, but at this point I find it hard to imagine what it would be like to root for a team in a division as weak as the AL Central.  Maybe there actually is a case to retool?  I think it would be short sighted at best, but I get the disappointment over how their last rebuild worked out.

Does anyone actually believe there is a better offer on the table for Cease than whatever the Orioles offer is? I highly doubt it. So let’s watch this thing play out.

I think if Elias knew there was another offer in play that he couldn’t or didn’t want to compete with he would have signed a FA by now. 

At the end of the day the WS could always just decide not to trade Cease but I think everyone knows what a big risk that would be. 

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

True, but the list of difference-makers who are actually on the market is Blake Snell, Jordan Montgomery and Dylan Cease.  We throw out names like Luzardo and Burnes and Valdez but there's no reason to think that they are actually on the market.   

The only question left is whether it's worth getting a SP like Lorenzen who is more of a space-occupier rather than a difference-maker.  

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No one worth listening too ever thought that.

But it is hilarious how much higher Ortiz is than Spencer Jones. 

What's even more hilarious is a few weeks ago they kept saying that Ortiz wouldn't even be in the top 100 when the list came out. Of course, they'll never eat crow, but they aren't that sharp over there.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

What's even more hilarious is a few weeks ago they kept saying that Ortiz wouldn't even be in the top 100 when the list came out. Of course, they'll never eat crow, but they aren't that sharp over there.

Well he’s not on all lists..that’s what they will point to. “He’s not a consensus top 100 guy”

I don’t  have a problem with them having an issue with his age though.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well he’s not on all lists..that’s what they will point to. “He’s not a consensus top 100 guy”

I don’t  have a problem with them having an issue with his age though.

Me neither, though, it's not his fault, he should have been given a real chance. It's not like he's been bad in MiL.

3 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Is it going to be a done deal that Cease will be an Oriole before ST starts? I see 287 pages posted about him, it must account for something?

I'd recommend you go back and read the thread about Teixeira, Mark.

5 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Is it going to be a done deal that Cease will be an Oriole before ST starts? I see 287 pages posted about him, it must account for something?

Rumor is that when this thread reaches 300 pages, the White Sox will have to trade Cease to O's for what the Hangout determines is a fair offer. 

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Rumor is that when this thread reaches 300 pages, the White Sox will have to trade Cease to O's for what the Hangout determines is a fair offer. 

Lol, Finding a fair offer here might be a challenge.