2023 #13 Prospect Cade Povich - LHP

Tony-OH

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Here's a highlight video I put together as a test. If you like it please like it, comment and subscibe to our You Tube channel.

Thanks.

Liked and subbed.  Good stuff!

Only a few bad chasing swings in there.  I enjoyed the mix of pitches used to finish out hitters too.

9 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Based on that video, he strikes everybody out. 😉

By my count, which could be off by one or two, that video shows 49 of Povich’s 171 strikeouts from 2023.   Where are the other 122?  C‘Mon, @Tony-OH, put some work into this and stop slacking off!

Seriously, great work, Tony.  What you can see from this video is that Povich has a pretty easy delivery, a nice array of pitches, and they all seem to look the same coming out of his hand.  All that is very good.  What you don’t see on this video, obviously, are the times where he misses badly with his location, hangs an offspeed pitch, etc., and how he handles things when he’s not on top of his game.   So, you can see the potential for Povich to be a very good starting pitcher here, but by its nature a highlight reel paints a somewhat misleading picture.  

Anyway, I love this idea.  Here’s what I’d love to see in other videos:

1.  Similar one for McDermott.  
2.  Videos showing defensive abilities/deficiencies of Ortiz, Mayo, Holliday and Norby.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I liked these quotes:

“I think I definitely learned a lot about myself and, when things are going good, what my mindset was like and how I took that game, versus the times that were going bad or not as good,” Povich said this week. “Just kind of sitting down and looking over stuff throughout the year.”

“My last month was probably my best month of the year," he said. "Before that month started, I sort of sat down and looked at everything. I was like, ‘I’m just going to take this new month like a new season and just restart and go game by game,’ and I think that really helped change my mindset. I think it turned out to be one of the best months of maybe the two years I’ve been in pro ball.”

From his agent:

“This offseason he’s really just focused on getting more physical, getting a little bit stronger, putting on some weight. As you can tell, he’s a wiry guy. Kind of looks like Max Fried, in my opinion. He’s worked really hard on refining his pitches, as well, over the last couple years, and continuing that. But he’s really dedicated on getting more mass in his body.”

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“This offseason he’s really just focused on getting more physical, getting a little bit stronger, putting on some weight. As you can tell, he’s a wiry guy. Kind of looks like Max Fried, in my opinion. He’s worked really hard on refining his pitches, as well, over the last couple years, and continuing that. But he’s really dedicated on getting more mass in his body.”

One wonders if the inconsistencies are fatigue related. Great to hear that he is working to get stronger.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Here's a highlight video I put together as a test. If you like it please like it, comment and subscibe to our You Tube channel.

Thanks.

You put all of that together, Tony? That's a ton of work. It's incredible. Thanks!

As for Povich, he's a tantalizing talent. You can really tell that he's an uncomfortable at bat. He works well at the top of the zone. I imagine that he's tunneling the FB and Curve well. Guys are guessing. I guess if all I watched were people's highlights, they'd all look pretty nice, but this kid has the upside to be in our top 5, IMO. As a lefty, he'll fit beautifully in OPACY.

On 12/22/2023 at 12:28 PM, LookinUp said:

You put all of that together, Tony? That's a ton of work. It's incredible. Thanks!

As for Povich, he's a tantalizing talent. You can really tell that he's an uncomfortable at bat. He works well at the top of the zone. I imagine that he's tunneling the FB and Curve well. Guys are guessing. I guess if all I watched were people's highlights, they'd all look pretty nice, but this kid has the upside to be in our top 5, IMO. As a lefty, he'll fit beautifully in OPACY.

Thanks, but I really just pieced together highlights from the MLB filmroom and did a little editing. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks, but I really just pieced together highlights from the MLB filmroom and did a little editing. 

Loved the highlight video. My first thought was he was thin especially his upper body. Good to hear that he is focusing on getting stronger. Maybe he adds a few ticks to the velo.

• 1 month later...

Good blurb from Kiley McDaniel at ESPN on Povich, who he has always liked. He has him ranked at #119 overall and the #7 Orioles prospect behind Bradfield.

Povich made last year's Top 100 and largely held serve on the field but moved down a bit because I thought he'd have a breakthrough and he merely made just some progress. His walk rate isn't very indicative of his command, more of his style of pitching as some advanced metrics of rival teams give him average big league command right now. He has a bevy of slightly to clearly above-average pitches but not many true plus qualities -- look for a 2024 debut from him.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Definitely got the good version of Povich today. He was consistently hitting 93 with the fastball (threw some slower too, so probably averaged 92) and got a number of whiffs up in the zone with it. Used the cutter a lot too and it looked effective, as well as the offspeed. Not pinpoint command but good enough. Wasn’t facing a MLB lineup pitching at the end of the game, but looked like a MLB SP today. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Wasn’t facing a MLB lineup pitching at the end of the game, but looked like a MLB SP today. 

At the beginning of his outing though, back-to-back Ks of Olson and Ozuna were pretty eye-catching.