2023 #15 Prospect Joshua Liranzo - 3B

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Because the person who told me worked out and saw both at the same age.

Fair enough.  But I think it’s a little easier to compare guys when they’ve actually competed in a pro league, as opposed to just doing workouts.  Both because of quality and intensity of competition, and the number of times you can have a look.  

Saying that, obviously these guys are being evaluated before they are signed.  Tatis only got a $700 k signing bonus, so it’s pretty clear he wasn’t seen as an all-world prospect until he got a little older.  After his first pro season (age 17), he wasn’t on any major top 100 list, but after his age 18 season, he was a top 10 prospect.  So, he was a little bit of a late bloomer, if 18 can be considered “late.”  
In that context, saying that Liranzo at 16 compares favorably to Tatis at that age perhaps isn’t as outrageous a compliment as it might have seemed.   Now, if someone said Liranzo compared favorably to Vlad Jr. at that age, it would be more noteworthy.  Not that I’m complaining about the Tatis comp!

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know how you’d tell if Liranzo is better than Tatis at this age.  Tatis didn’t play in the DSL, and didn’t play pro ball at age 16 at all.  

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Because the person who told me worked out and saw both at the same age.

I was going to say something similar like maybe the scout had seen both. Either way that is not a normal comment for any 16 year old to get, "yeah, you're more advanced than Tatis Jr was at 16."

18 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I was going to say something similar like maybe the scout had seen both. Either way that is not a normal comment for any 16 year old to get, "yeah, you're more advanced than Tatis Jr was at 16."

Well, as I posted subsequently, Tatis wasn’t that big a deal at 16.  He got a $700 k signing bonus, which is very solid but not what you pay a top guy in a class.  He didn’t really become a top prospect until he was 18.   

Don’t get me wrong, I still consider the statement a high compliment.  It would be great if Liranzo turned into half the player Tatis is.   I just think the statement is not quite as remarkable as it seems at first blush, if you actually look at Tatis’ history.  

• 4 weeks later...

@Frobby's buddy...Dude, I just won a million dollars!

@Frobby ...cool, but have you seen the taxes on this stuff yet? Oh man, they're paying it out over 20 years? Have you even considered the time value of money? And the family issues? Everyone will think you're rich. You'll never go to a bar or restaurant and not be expected to pay the bill again. And all for what, a few bucks after taxes? I'd rather we just find the next Hayden Penn, but with a better baseball name.

@Frobby's buddy...But did you hear about the Josh Liranzo kid? What a stud.

@FrobbyDon't even get me started man.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Josh Norris of Baseball America

”22 DSL Prospects Who Could Make Noise Stateside In 2024”

Joshua Liranzo, 3B, Orioles

The brother of Dodgers masher Thayron Liranzo, Josue opened eyes on Baltimore’s DSL club. He drew plenty of walks but still needs to tighten his command of the strike zone, especially late in counts. He’s a superb defender at third base and has enough range to play shortstop if needed. He’s got big-time power too and could provide thump and standout defense at the hot corner.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My goodness. MLB.com just posted write ups of their Orioles top 30. Man, hard to get a much more glowing report on someone at his age, let alone all the name drops used surrounding him.

I already liked Liranzo from what I’d read in Tony’s write up and elsewhere, but outside of the obvious guys at the top of our system, he’s THE guy I’m watching in 2024. 

MLB has him at 22. That’s too low for me. I like him where Tony has him inside the top 15. He’s likely to debut stateside and could really skyrocket very quickly (a la Basallo as MLB says). 

1 hour ago, George Zuverink said:

There are 11 on that list with a 2024 ETA.

Many of them are already on the 40 man and several of them will break camp and head north. 

Two of the ‘24 projections are likely to run their course and become minor league FAs (Haskin and Nunez). 

There’s 8 more projected for ‘25. That’s when the roster really starts getting interesting IMO, with just a sneak peak of crunches to come starting this year.