What is your realistic best case scenario?

Sports Guy

4 hours ago, One eyed Bird said:

Ol Pete bites the big one, the remaining Angelos dirt bags can’t afford the inheritance tax, the Orioles are sold to someone who actually cares about winning instead of raping the fans/state out of every $ they can. New ownership signs Mike and his crew to a 10 year contract extension. That would be a damn fine off season regardless of what else happens .

Team being sold is always best case scenario…but I was talking more on the field stuff.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Would Yamamoto count as ideal realistic? Trading Santander, Hays, Urias, and Mateo for salary relief to make it work?

What about Gray?

Or trade Norby for best available SP whoever that is.

Plus one of the bullpen arms like Neris or Hicks.

No, he’s not even remotely realistic.

The Os aren’t spending that.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

.As a starter he throws too many pitches, has an elevated era, and struggles to reach 5 innings. I believe it will be more of the same. Obviously everything he says doesn’t come to be. 

This was the exact book on Bedard until it wasn’t. Truth is we really don’t know. They have a pretty similar repertoire.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, he’s not even remotely realistic.

The Os aren’t spending that.

Figured. Maybe Gray or Stroman but even those guys are probably out of our range. But after those guys it's hard to defend anything as best case scenario. 

I would say realistic expectation would be a SP in the 2/$30M range or trade based on a Norby level prospect. Plus a bullpen arm.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Figured. Maybe Gray or Stroman but even those guys are probably out of our range. But after those guys it's hard to defend anything as best case scenario. 

I would say realistic expectation would be a SP in the 2/$30M range or trade based on a Norby level prospect. Plus a bullpen arm.

Well that’s why guys like Cease and Woo make for a more realistic target because the salary isn’t high and we have pieces to get both pretty easily.

I do think Stroman is possible though. I don’t feel Gray is.

Realistic?

1 free agent starting pitcher in the Wacha, Gibson, Giolito range.

1 significant trade for a starter or reliever

1 smaller trade, likely for a reliever.

No top name free agents will be signed. 

Trades could include Mountcastle, Hays or Santander plus Norby, Ortiz, Stowers and 1 of Cowser/Kjerstad.

Realistic vs Want/Need

Realistic

-Another Gibson type starter to add the bottom of the rotation

-1 bullpen piece that is "borderline" late leverage 

-Disappointment

Wants:

-#1,2, starter Corbin Burnes (No trade of Kjerstad)

-Back end reliever with closing experience. Plan A: Hader. (There is no assurance Bautista is same guy when he comes back) B) Bednar C) Robertson

-A lefty killer that can DH and spot start (Luplow, Renfroe, Senzel, XXXX))

-I would be trying to to sign Michael Fulmer for the pen as well. 

1. Package Santander, Mountcastle, and prospects (two in the 6-10 range) for a legitimate #2/3 SP with at least 2 years of team control.

2. Sign a veteran RP with some closing experience.

3. Sign stopgap fliers for depth/camp competition for RH 1B and OF, probably minor league deals.

4. Break camp with Kjerstad/Cowser regularly rotating into the OF, Holliday making the team in a starting combination with Gunnar and Westburg, and Mayo making the team in a platoon role at 1B with O’Hearn.

Realistic? I don’t know, but it’s how I’d like to see them manage their resources. I believe in getting those listed prospects into the majors sooner rather than later. 

The biggest move will be not signing another Frazier type contract.

Elias will make another Irvinesque starter trade for someone we never considered and don't like.

Finally, some R5 guy most of us have never heard of will be the big bullpen addition.

We will complain and the Orioles will win 94 games.

It's hard to know what is realistic when the front office has done such a good job of keeping things out of the press. We don't really know what the payroll target is. While there is definitely an increase coming given they offered every arb-eligible player a contract, I still believe there's at least some money there to spend. I'm not going to get deluded into thinking Snell or Yamamoto is possible, but I do think Gray or E-Rod is realistic. E-Rod probably gets more years while Gray gets a higher AAV. I think I'd prefer Gray, but E-Rod does give us a second (third if you count Irvin) LHP that can start which is notable given the wall in LF. 

Given that, I'll say: 

Sign E-Rod to a 4 year/$90M(ish) deal. And maybe add a reliever or two from the fringes of the market. 

Less realistic, but still (in my opinion reasonable): 

Sign either Gray or E-Rod.

Trade for a reliever top end reliever. I'd love to see the Orioles get either Williams or Bednar. The Orioles have the prospect surplus to swing one of those--but I think that is too big of a fish to be realistic. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

Realistic?  

Urias, Norby and Stowers are trade for a reliever and pitching prospects.  Wells is the 5th starter.

In July the O's trade Mountcastle or O'Hearn for a rental starter to make room for Mayo. 

^this as the highest probability of occurring.  I think the “upgrades” will more likely happen during the season via trade route when have more info on which young guys are performing, who has held up in rotation, etc. 

Based on what we saw last year, I think the chances of spending big (even like a EdRod deal) are pretty low. The good thing is the team is pretty well set-up already and doesn't need a ton of help except in starting pitching. I think the biggest acquisition is likely to come from a trade.

- trade prospects for a #2/3 SP. Santander, Mountcastle, Urias or Mateo could be included in this package.

- sign a #4/5 SP depth piece on a one-year deal, like a Gibson

- sign a RP depth piece for 1/5, like a Givens

Established, expensive relievers are not exactly a moneyball kind of play, so I doubt that will happen. The bullpen will continue to get innings from former starters like Wells and Hall, and I can see Elias being fine rolling with that.