Naoyuki Uwasawa Offer Being Prepared?

Can_of_corn

Naoyuki Uwasawa, who turns 30 in February, has been posted by the Nippon-Ham Fighters of Japan’s Nippon Professional Baseball, and some Japanese media are citing U.S. sources as saying the Orioles are prepared to offer him a multi-year deal to work as a fourth or fifth starter. One post on the former Twitter said that he’d “settle” for a spot in the back end.

Good to know.

The 45-day window to sign with a major league club ends on Jan. 11 at 5 p.m., if you want to track the countdown.

Meanwhile, the Orioles are seeking a starter to insert near or at the top of their rotation. They have some depth with their returnees, even after losing Gibson and with Jack Flaherty a free agent.

Per Roch

Edited by Roll Tide

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Barring an injury, trade or some unforeseen awful ST performance/loss of velo/look like complete garbage, it’s basically a guarantee that Perez, Cano and DC are in the pen.

Wells is basically a guarantee to make the roster, with reliever being the most likely spot for him. It’s not definite he will be a reliever but that seems to be the way this is headed.

Maybe Hall is sent back to the minors to start. Agree that’s possible. Is it probable? We don’t know that yet.

Not really sure why Irvin would go back to the minors but again, I guess it’s possible. 

Webb? I wouldn’t have him on the team but they tendered him a contract and pitched him a lot last year. I think it’s fair to say that they like him enough that we should assume he is part of the pen as of today.

Obviously Tate isn’t some sure thing but they felt good enough about him to say we will give you gtd money, so odds are in favor of him making the team.

The acknowledgment by the FO is that they essentially need to replace Bautista (or if you want to look at it as replacing Cano, that’s fine too).

Where is the spot for this guy unless you feel he is that replacement?  Again, guys will be moved around but let’s face it, if these guys stay healthy, these aren’t guys they move down. Last year, for example, Perez was a guy who looked to verge of DFA but they stayed with him and he righted the ship. Cano, DC and Wells are not going to be guys you just shuffle back and forth.

So, while it’s easy to talk about adding depth and the importance of that, blah blah blah, the reality is that depth isn’t the issue for this team.

We talk about how they can just find guys, like they have done so often in recent years. So, to be worried about back end depth seems foolish to me. I feel quite comfortable that Elias will be able to get those players and we will be fine filling in those last 2-5 spots on the roster.

The concern, which is clearly shared by Elias considering what he has publicly stated (unless people want to say he’s lying) is he wants/feels the team needs legit go to guys in the rotation and pen. 

Let’s say this Japanese pitcher will have options. Are we really paying 2-4M for him in part because he can go to AAA? Is that how we want them spending the limited amounts of money they have to spend?

It’s just a very head scratching thought imo. A low strikeout guy who doesn’t likely miss bats and doesn’t possess great command…it’s just not the profile of a player that the Os are saying they are looking for yet, here they are, allegedly involved in discussions with him for gtd money and likely a gtd roster spot.

Maybe he ends up being good. I’m not really trying to judge the player outside of the scouting reports of him not being overly favorable but there are at least some things that could give you hope. It’s more about the process of this and the idea of why.

So far, Elias has done an excellent job in finding scrap heap guys. His actual trades and FA signings for the ML team have been a mixed bag at best. The scrap heap guys haven’t really been much different than the guys he has signed or traded for. I would rather see him continue to go the non gtd deal/roster spot route with these guys and save the money and gtd roster spots for the difference making guys.

The offseason is making SG talk to himself.  Responding to his own posts.

I equate Uwasawa as a righty to Irvin as a lefty.   Finesse pitchers.  Irvin's fastball was a little above 90 mph with Oakland in 2022.  The O's got him to 92 mph.  

The O's have Bradish, GRod, Means and Kremer as the top 4 starters.   If Uwasawa is all they add to the starters then  Wells, Hall, Irvin and Uwasawa would be battle for the 5th spot.     Irvin is best as a long man.  Hall is probably better in 2024 as a reliever until he gets some more major league experience.  

Wells is probably going to beat out Uwasawa for the 5th spots.  But only for half a season.   Uwasawa would begin the season in the pen. Uwasawa gives them more starting options in the 2nd half  and by that time McDermott  may be ready.

If Elias signs Uwasawa he fills the holes in the rotation and give him a base to work from.   Then he can try to sign a better starter.   He tried last year and could not sign the 1-3 level starter.   Hope he can do better this year but I am not counting on it.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I equate Uwasawa as a righty to Irvin as a lefty.   Finesse pitchers.  Irvin's fastball was a little above 90 mph with Oakland in 2022.  The O's got him to 92 mph.  

The O's have Bradish, GRod, Means and Kremer as the top 4 starters.   If Uwasawa is all they add to the starters then  Wells, Hall, Irvin and Uwasawa would be battle for the 5th spot.     Irvin is best as a long man.  Hall is probably better in 2024 as a reliever until he gets some more major league experience.  

Wells is probably going to beat out Uwasawa for the 5th spots.  But only for half a season.   Uwasawa would begin the season in the pen. Uwasawa gives them more starting options in the 2nd half  and by that time McDermott  may be ready.

If Elias signs Uwasawa he fills the holes in the rotation and give him a base to work from.   Then he can try to sign a better starter.   He tried last year and could not sign the 1-3 level starter.   Hope he can do better this year but I am not counting on it.

If this is the plan today, that’s awful. You could be right but it’s an awful plan and if they are already throwing in the towel on bringing in a real option for the rotation, that’s very poor on the part of Elias.

Luckily, I don’t think so little of him that I buy any of this.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think it’s just as simple as Uwasawa would be another Brian Baker for next year. A vet middle reliever with options. That on the open market costs 2-3 million. We’ll have to see what happens in ST.

If Wells is our closer then this might wrap up the bullpen signings other than waiver claims and a rule 5 arm. 

RH - Wells*, Cano*, Webb, Baker*, Tate*, Uwasawa*

LH - Coloumbe, Perez, Hall*, Zimmerman*, Akin*

* = 2024 option

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Barring an injury, trade or some unforeseen awful ST performance/loss of velo/look like complete garbage, it’s basically a guarantee that Perez, Cano and DC are in the pen.

Wells is basically a guarantee to make the roster, with reliever being the most likely spot for him. It’s not definite he will be a reliever but that seems to be the way this is headed.

Maybe Hall is sent back to the minors to start. Agree that’s possible. Is it probable? We don’t know that yet.

Not really sure why Irvin would go back to the minors but again, I guess it’s possible. 

Webb? I wouldn’t have him on the team but they tendered him a contract and pitched him a lot last year. I think it’s fair to say that they like him enough that we should assume he is part of the pen as of today.

Obviously Tate isn’t some sure thing but they felt good enough about him to say we will give you gtd money, so odds are in favor of him making the team.

The acknowledgment by the FO is that they essentially need to replace Bautista (or if you want to look at it as replacing Cano, that’s fine too).

Where is the spot for this guy unless you feel he is that replacement?  Again, guys will be moved around but let’s face it, if these guys stay healthy, these aren’t guys they move down. Last year, for example, Perez was a guy who looked to verge of DFA but they stayed with him and he righted the ship. Cano, DC and Wells are not going to be guys you just shuffle back and forth.

So, while it’s easy to talk about adding depth and the importance of that, blah blah blah, the reality is that depth isn’t the issue for this team.

We talk about how they can just find guys, like they have done so often in recent years. So, to be worried about back end depth seems foolish to me. I feel quite comfortable that Elias will be able to get those players and we will be fine filling in those last 2-5 spots on the roster.

The concern, which is clearly shared by Elias considering what he has publicly stated (unless people want to say he’s lying) is he wants/feels the team needs legit go to guys in the rotation and pen. 

Let’s say this Japanese pitcher will have options. Are we really paying 2-4M for him in part because he can go to AAA? Is that how we want them spending the limited amounts of money they have to spend?

It’s just a very head scratching thought imo. A low strikeout guy who doesn’t likely miss bats and doesn’t possess great command…it’s just not the profile of a player that the Os are saying they are looking for yet, here they are, allegedly involved in discussions with him for gtd money and likely a gtd roster spot.

Maybe he ends up being good. I’m not really trying to judge the player outside of the scouting reports of him not being overly favorable but there are at least some things that could give you hope. It’s more about the process of this and the idea of why.

So far, Elias has done an excellent job in finding scrap heap guys. His actual trades and FA signings for the ML team have been a mixed bag at best. The scrap heap guys haven’t really been much different than the guys he has signed or traded for. I would rather see him continue to go the non gtd deal/roster spot route with these guys and save the money and gtd roster spots for the difference making guys.

When you can upgrade your roster, you do it.  And that’s what they’ve been doing slowly and methodically.  See O’Hearn.  There are many ways to do it.  You can add a guy that figures to be a top 10 talent on your 40, everyone moves down a slot, and bottom guy gets jettisoned = roster improved.  You can also upgrade your roster by adding a guy that figures to be in the 25-35 talent level and guys 35-39 move down and 40 get jettisoned = roster improved.   Getting a stud talent to put at the top of the 40 to push all the talent down is not the only way to upgrade a roster.  

Pretty sure this guys isn’t someone they are looking to stick at the top of the rotation or back of the bullpen.  Sounds to me like they are doing due diligence on a guy who could potentially be a 40 man roster upgrade.  Not sure why anyone would think that’s going against their stated goals for the off-season:  

• Upvote 1

I get a feeling that teams want one of our top 3 prospects for a legit starter. We probably don't want to do that, so it becomes a question of whether Elias 1) is willing to and 2) can get someone to bite for a quantity trade involving like 3 of Ortiz, Westburg, Cowser or Kjerstad. Might even need a good 4th/5th piece with like Wagner, Stowers, Norby or some of our international guys.

If we offered Cowser, Ortiz, Norby and Wagner, I wonder if we could get a legit #1-2 starter with 3+ years of control. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If this is the plan today, that’s awful. You could be right but it’s an awful plan and if they are already throwing in the towel on bringing in a real option for the rotation, that’s very poor on the part of Elias.

Luckily, I don’t think so little of him that I buy any of this.

I am not saying he will not try to add better than Uwasawa.  Just that it didn't happen last year.   There is a high demand for FA starters.    And trading high quality prospects is something that Elias has resisted.   I think Norby, Urias and Stowers will be traded this off season.  But that will not get a top starter.   It probably gets pitching prospects instead.

I think we have to remember that the O's are a development organization.   McDermott is the next starter in line and he did well last year especially at AAA.  If he does well for 7 or 8 starts he may be ready for a promotion as a starter.   That could be when Means goes on the IL for a month or when Wells runs out of gas in the 2nd half.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

When you can upgrade your roster, you do it.  And that’s what they’ve been doing slowly and methodically.  See O’Hearn.  There are many ways to do it.  You can add a guy that figures to be a top 10 talent on your 40, everyone moves down a slot, and bottom guy gets jettisoned = roster improved.  You can also upgrade your roster by adding a guy that figures to be in the 25-35 talent level and guys 35-39 move down and 40 get jettisoned = roster improved.   Getting a stud talent to put at the top of the 40 to push all the talent down is not the only way to upgrade a roster.  

You're right of course, and I'm sure everyone would agree, but SG's constant response for the last two decades is that we need to do what it takes to add top flight talent. That means trades AND spending.

I'm sure he wouldn't hate the proposed move in this thread if he didn't believe that it's a move that will be made in lieu of getting a real TOR starter, closer or MOO bat. 

That's the rub. It smells like Frazier and Odor.

16 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Pretty sure this guys isn’t someone they are looking to stick at the top of the rotation or back of the bullpen.  Sounds to me like they are doing due diligence on a guy who could potentially be a 40 man roster upgrade.  Not sure why anyone would think that’s going against their stated goals for the off-season:  

Well it’s highly debatable if this guy is an upgrade and it’s also very debatable whether these cheap contracts are worth signing at all. I would rather get non gtd, league min guys vs pay guys like this guy and givens, for example…especially since Elias is proving that he can find those players.

And I’m not sure what’s so difficult to understand here. The roster spot matters. The Os will have 13 pitchers.

Barring something unforeseen, the pitchers look like this:

Grod, Bradish, Means, Kremer, Cano, DC, Perez and Wells

That is 8 no doubt about it guys.

Webb, Tate and Irvin are 3 guys all making 7 figures who will likely make the team but I would agree they are not definites.  You then also have Hall, who could go in different directions.

Thats a total of 10-11 guys with several other depth pieces in the mix as all possible guys…and that is before (again not sure why this is so difficult to understand) you talk about the guys that they view as must gets for this offseason…the types of players that they have viewed as “these are our targets”.

Thats 2 more pitchers. That gets us to our limit on our roster for pitchers and this guy still isn’t part of it.

So, unless the money doesn’t matter and they are basically buying this guy to store in AAA (which doesn’t sound like something he would come here to do), I don’t see how it makes sense on any level.

We don’t need the back end rotation depth. We don’t know need middling BP depth. We don’t need to spend the small amount of salary when they have excelled at bringing in similar or better guys for less money and no gtd spot and we literally dont have room on the roster.

Sign all the depth guys you want. Go out and sign 100 guys just like this. I’m all for it. I’m not saying to ignore this depth per say…I’m saying don’t spend any real money on it and don’t do it in a way where you are basically going to be handing someone a roster spot.

This team is too good to be worried about that now. The focus, as THEY have stated, is to improve the top of the roster, especially pitching. 

11 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

You're right of course, and I'm sure everyone would agree, but SG's constant response for the last two decades is that we need to do what it takes to add top flight talent. That means trades AND spending.

I'm sure he wouldn't hate the proposed move in this thread if he didn't believe that it's a move that will be made in lieu of getting a real TOR starter, closer or MOO bat. 

That's the rub. It smells like Frazier and Odor.

Correct.

This is why I’m harping about the roster spot. People are asking the very odd question, how is this the opposite of what the Os have said they want to do. Well, besides the obvious reason that this guy just isn’t what they have said they wanted, it limits what else you can add to the team.

So, if the thought is that they are going to add 1 starter and you sign this guy to be a starter, that’s it…unless you are trading Kremer and that doesn’t seem likely.

If it’s not for the rotation, it will be for the pen. Well, you only have so many spots out there and you can argue that you only have 1. Well they want to add a legit high leverage reliever. This guy, at least according to reports, doesn’t seem to be that. Maybe the Os think he can be and this is a way of getting high leverage cost for very little money. I’m perfectly fine acknowledging that possibility. There is no evidence that he can be that guy (evidence in terms of production) but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen. But if they do view him, as the article is stating, as essentially a Cole Irvin guy, why in the hell do we think we even need to add a player like that? What is the purpose?  It can’t just be depth..we don’t need that.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Correct.

This is why I’m harping about the roster spot. People are asking the very odd question, how is this the opposite of what the Os have said they want to do. Well, besides the obvious reason that this guy just isn’t what they have said they wanted, it limits what else you can add to the team.

So, if the thought is that they are going to add 1 starter and you sign this guy to be a starter, that’s it…unless you are trading Kremer and that doesn’t seem likely.

If it’s not for the rotation, it will be for the pen. Well, you only have so many spots out there and you can argue that you only have 1. Well they want to add a legit high leverage reliever. This guy, at least according to reports, doesn’t seem to be that. Maybe the Os think he can be and this is a way of getting high leverage cost for very little money. I’m perfectly fine acknowledging that possibility. There is no evidence that he can be that guy (evidence in terms of production) but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen. But if they do view him, as the article is stating, as essentially a Cole Irvin guy, why in the hell do we think we even need to add a player like that? What is the purpose?  It can’t just be depth..we don’t need that.

A very simple explanation is that this move could happen in the context of other moves, making it perfectly reasonable.

Let's say, for example, that the Brewers will do a big trade but they want someone like Irvin or Cano or Coloumbe back in the deal. Now a move like this makes more sense. 

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

A very simple explanation is that this move could happen in the context of other moves, making it perfectly reasonable.

Let's say, for example, that the Brewers will do a big trade but they want someone like Irvin or Cano or Coloumbe back in the deal. Now a move like this makes more sense. 

Sure…but do you know how many times that has been said over the last 1-2 years?

People always throw this stuff out yet it never happens.

”Well we signed Frazier, so obviously one of the young guys is on the move for a starter”. Nope.

This isn’t likely at all to be a precursor to anything.  

I'm not going to hop up and down and say this is a terrible signing or whatever until it actually happens.  And even then, we still need to see how it stacks up with the rest of the moves in the offseason.  

I don't care that he doesn't have power stuff.  IMO, it's a tad overrated.  Movement, command, etc...always wins the day.  DC was a great reliever for us last year, he doesn't throw hard.  I get the kinky infatuation with high velocity guys for high leverage situations but batters today can turn around triple digits, too.