Orioles 2023 51-75 Prospects

Tony-OH

@Tony-OH, it looks like you had some serious quality time with Koby Perez this fall!  Lots of good information on our DSL/FCL guys both here and in the earlier writeups.    It certainly seems like our international program is fully up to par at this point.  Any intel about when the new Dominican facility will open?   I think Elias said it should be ready before next season, but he wasn’t too specific.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

@Tony-OH, it looks like you had some serious quality time with Koby Perez this fall!  Lots of good information on our DSL/FCL guys both here and in the earlier writeups.    It certainly seems like our international program is fully up to par at this point.  Any intel about when the new Dominican facility will open?   I think Elias said it should be ready before next season, but he wasn’t too specific.  

I do think the international program is certainly heading in the right direction. Most are still going to flame out, but if the keep finding some nuggets we're going to see the fruit of their labors help the big league club win ball games. 

I don't have any additional information on the facility, sorry.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Stallings and Peek are still hanging around from our trades with the Angels a few years ago.  It would be nice to see one of them turn into at least an up/down reliever for us.  

Considering Bradish came over in the trade, anything else that comes out of the Bundy trade is the proverbial icing on the cake. Stallings BTW came over with Jean Pinto for Alex Cobb, not the Bundy deal. He's one of the weirder pitching prospects I've seen in some time. He's about as Jekyll and Hyde as it gets from start to start sometimes. I do wonder if a move to the pen would benefit him though. He had a start on Sept 7th against the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp that probably got him on the list, even if it's way down at the end. He was quite impressive that day missing bats with a variety of pitches and I believe he hit 95 MPH in that game (94.7). 

Strangely, while Peek has much better command and gives off Spencer Watkins vibes, Stallings to me may have a better chance of becoming someone of value in a relief role. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I do think the international program is certainly heading in the right direction. Most are still going to flame out, but if the keep finding some nuggets we're going to see the fruit of their labors help the big league club win ball games. 

I don't have any additional information on the facility, sorry.

Yup. A lot of young guys on that list. Clay for the player development and strength/conditioning guys. 

The really young catcher, Mejia, looks particularly interesting to me from a distance. Others do too though.

13 of 25 are pitchers.  It would be nice if the ratio was more weighted toward pitchers at this point in the rankings IMO.

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

The really young catcher, Mejia, looks particularly interesting to me from a distance.

Agreed.  Tony's write-up was as glowing as it can get at this point in the rankings.  Mejia is 6'0" 165 lbs per b-ref.  He just turned 17, so maybe another couple of inches.  Not much info on the interwebs about him.

This is awesome!  Thanks for all the work that went into this.

Curious which unranked player(s) have the best chance to be ranked next year?  Below I tried to capture a list of unranked players to watch.

Other position players of note: Abraham Cohen, Yirber Ruiz, Alfredo Velasquez, Maxwell Costes, Anderson De Los Santos, Sebastian De Los Santos, Yasmil Bucce 

Other pitchers of note: Cameron Weston, Trey McGough, Juan De Los Santos, Luis Sanchez, Brayner Sanchez, Blake Money,  Eccel Correa, Anthony Morillo, Juan Rojas, Ignacio Felix, Ty Weatherly, Hayden Nierman 

17-year old pitchers: Mario Santana, Ledwin Gonzalez, Javier Gonzalez, Ezequiel Bonilla, Keeler Morfe, Rafael Suero, Kevin Velasco, Juan Rasquin, Xavier Alvero, Angel Bolivar, Raymond Sosa

Probably org guys at this point: Maikol Hernandez, Mishael Deson, Kevin Guerrero, Peter Van Loon?, Cristian Benavides?, Xavier Moore

On 11/30/2023 at 12:42 PM, Warehouse said:

This is awesome!  Thanks for all the work that went into this.

Curious which unranked player(s) have the best chance to be ranked next year?  Below I tried to capture a list of unranked players to watch.

Other position players of note: Abraham Cohen, Yirber Ruiz, Alfredo Velasquez, Maxwell Costes, Anderson De Los Santos, Sebastian De Los Santos, Yasmil Bucce 

Other pitchers of note: Cameron Weston, Trey McGough, Juan De Los Santos, Luis Sanchez, Brayner Sanchez, Blake Money,  Eccel Correa, Anthony Morillo, Juan Rojas, Ignacio Felix, Ty Weatherly, Hayden Nierman 

17-year old pitchers: Mario Santana, Ledwin Gonzalez, Javier Gonzalez, Ezequiel Bonilla, Keeler Morfe, Rafael Suero, Kevin Velasco, Juan Rasquin, Xavier Alvero, Angel Bolivar, Raymond Sosa

Probably org guys at this point: Maikol Hernandez, Mishael Deson, Kevin Guerrero, Peter Van Loon?, Cristian Benavides?, Xavier Moore

Xavier Moore and Ignacio Feliz were released by the Orioles earlier this year.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jcarm said:

Xavier Moore and Ignacio Feliz were released by the Orioles earlier this year.

Thanks - I missed that in late September.  No surprise on Moore but a little surprising on Feliz as his strikeout metrics were decent despite the horrid ERA.  The Marlins picked him up a few days ago.

Does anyone know what happened to Luis Sanchez?  His last game was June 20 and then he missed the rest of the season due to injury.  I recognize that Orioles’ minor league injuries are highly classified state secrets, but figured I’d ask in case something leaked.

His fastball was reportedly up to 99mph per Steve Melewski and he put a 3.70 FIP and 29% K-rate as a 20-year old in 22 innings at Delmarva (though needs to improve command).  If he could stay healthy, there might be potential for a late-inning relief role.

He also missed all of 2022, so he has certainly been injury-prone.

2 hours ago, Warehouse said:

Does anyone know what happened to Luis Sanchez?  His last game was June 20 and then he missed the rest of the season due to injury.  I recognize that Orioles’ minor league injuries are highly classified state secrets, but figured I’d ask in case something leaked.

His fastball was reportedly up to 99mph per Steve Melewski and he put a 3.70 FIP and 29% K-rate as a 20-year old in 22 innings at Delmarva (though needs to improve command).  If he could stay healthy, there might be potential for a late-inning relief role.

He also missed all of 2022, so he has certainly been injury-prone.

He was shut down but there was no surgery so he should be back next spring. Nice arm, but a thrower still without a lot of command. I probably could have put him on the list towards the end due to the velocity, but I'd just like to see a little more innings under his belt.

He mostly just throws hard stuff, but does mix in a breaking ball. He's a guy that is worth to watch if he suddenly starts putting up really good numbers. He'll pitch at 21 next year.