Trade Idea for MOO bat.

Roll Tide

Would you trade for Alonso in exchange for Fabian or Beavers plus a fringe 40 man guy?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Alonso for Fabian or Beavers and a fringe 40 man guy or lottery ticket?

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

They were also 8th in the AL in wRC+, behind each of the other playoff teams and also the Mariners. 

They scored a good amount of runs, but that’s pretty closely tied to the high average with RISP. Unless they’re going to continue to be the most “clutch” team in the league, the overall offense still needs to improve — and it seems a whole lot like they’re going to hope that all of that improvement will come from inside the organization. Hopefully their apparent faith in the prospects to be ready next season will pay off. 

You're making the offensive situation sound much more dire than it actually is. And the whole point of stripping it down to the studs and rebuilding with a bevy of young hitting prospects is that you trust your analysis/scouting and you bank on them improving. I would say it worked out pretty well with Henderson and Rutschman last season, no? A full season with Westburg and Kjerstad in particular in the lineup should offer a pretty significant bosot to the offense. And you'll also likely be adding another solid bat to the lineup in Holliday mid-season. For a team that we all suspect has a glass ceiling budget there's absolutely no reason to spend a portion of those precious dollars on a MOO bat. Not when they have much more glaring needs on the pitching side. 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

They were also 7th in fewest runs allowed.  So maybe they don’t need either.  Maybe they just need to continue to make modest upgrades wherever they can.  

I don't think it's really an apples to apples comparison. They have plenty of hitting contingency plans in the minors, but not so much on the pitching side. And they've already lost a member of their starting rotation and their closer. Whether or not you believe they need to make a drastic move or a series of modest moves I still believe that 90% of their money and/or trade capital should go to filling and/or improving those pitching holes this season. 

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

I don't think it's really an apples to apples comparison. They have plenty of hitting contingency plans in the minors, but not so much on the pitching side. And they've already lost a member of their starting rotation and their closer. Whether or not you believe they need to make a drastic move or a series of modest moves I still believe that 90% of their money and/or trade capital should go to filling and/or improving those pitching holes this season. 

I don’t disagree.  I just feel like our pitching doesn’t get enough credit for the excellent season we just had.  And in my opinion, we are extremely fortunate to be sitting here with Bradish under control for 5 seasons and Rodriguez for 6, not to mention Kremer for 4.   That’s an extremely nice foundation around which to construct a staff.  I do wish we had a bit more quality depth in the minors.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t disagree.  I just feel like our pitching doesn’t get enough credit for the excellent season we just had.  And in my opinion, we are extremely fortunate to be sitting here with Bradish under control for 5 seasons and Rodriguez for 6, not to mention Kremer for 4.   That’s an extremely nice foundation around which to construct a staff.  I do wish we had a bit more quality depth in the minors.   

I think  Elias will trade for minor league pitching depth this off season.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

lol.  Saying no to this deal is insanity.

The Mets would laugh at this offer and 28 other teams would beat it.

Eh. I don't like the player. I'd rather play Kjerstad.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to trade for a MOO bat and I think the lineup needs one. But Pete ain't it. Dude is heading for a Chris Davis moment and I don't want him on the team when he does. Might not be next year, but. 

Also he's annoying as hell. Lol. 

Edited by interloper

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Probably not the kind I’m talking about.  I’m talking about more guys who are at least the quality of McDermott, Povich and Johnson.   

Elias trading major league ready players like Urias, Norby and Stowers for young pitchers at the A level could bring back the quality of McDermott or Johnson.  They just will be several years away from the majors.   Sig, the scouts and the pitching coaching staff can identify these young pitchers.

Edited by wildcard

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias trading major league ready players like Urias, Norby and Stowers for young pitchers at the A level could bring back the quality of McDermott or Johnson.  They just will be several years away from the majors.   Sig, the scouts and the pitching coaching staff can identify these young pitchers.

That might be.  I was thinking more about guys who might help in 2024-25.

The O’s actually have decent pitching depth in the lower minors, I think, depending on how the 2023 draftees perform.  13 of our 21 picks were pitchers and we signed 12, including rounds 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9.  And, we have some interesting international guys down at those levels.  

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That might be.  I was thinking more about guys who might help in 2024-25.

The O’s actually have decent pitching depth in the lower minors, I think, depending on how the 2023 draftees perform.  13 of our 21 picks were pitchers and we signed 12, including rounds 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9.  And, we have some interesting international guys down at those levels.  

Both McDermott and Johnson should help the O's in the 2024-2025 time frame.

Also as Mayo pushes his way the the majors Mountcastle or O'Hearn become more tradable probably for pitching.

In 2024 Hall may become a starter as Bautista returns from TJ rehab.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Both McDermott and Johnson should help the O's in the 2024-2025 time frame.

Also as Mayo pushes his way the the majors Mountcastle or O'Hearn become more tradable probably for pitching.

In 2024 Hall may become a starter as Bautista returns from TJ rehab.

That’s all fine. I just wish we had a little more depth there.   I’m not saying we’ve got some gaping deficit.