Would you trade Cowser and Ortiz for Cease (December follow up)?

Frobby

Would you trade Cowser and Ortiz for Cease?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Cowser and Ortiz for Cease?

• Yes, and I might be willing to throw in a third lower level prospect
    • Yes, if it’s only those two
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/23 at 21:54

Forgive me for starting yet another Cease thread, but I wanted to quantify just how much people would be willing to give up for him.  Personally, I’d be willing to give up Cowser and Ortiz.  I might reluctantly throw in a third player but it would have to be someone pretty far down our list.  How about you?

Yes.  He’d slot in as #3 at worst and a #1 at best.  We lost our innings eater horse and need to replace those IP.  His 200+ Ks the last 3 years look great.  I don’t see the O’s signing any FA pitchers of note.  

Off subject a bit, but I’d like to try and get another SP as well.  I’d love to find a way to get Robert’s with Cease and would be OK giving up Mayo or Holliday to do it.  That would free up Mullins/Kremer for a trade for another SP.  

Edited by emmett16

Either of the yes answers apply for me.

The idea behind having a great system is that you build enough depth to where you can lose guys and it shouldn’t matter that much.

Losing Cowser likely hurts..losing Ortiz shouldn’t.

It’s a deal you do if you have to. If you are able to do it without Cowser any of our top 5 guys, even better but you don’t let that stop you.

Edited by Sports Guy

The following quote is from one of yesterday's MLBtraderumors posts matching potential suitors to Corbin Burnes.

Baltimore has an almost comical surplus of MLB-ready position players. There’s just not enough playing time for all of Jordan Westburg, Connor Norby, Joey Ortiz, Heston Kjerstad, Colton Cowser and Coby Mayo, to say nothing of the game’s No. 1 overall prospect: Jackson Holliday. He’s likely to emerge as the shortstop of the future in ’24, pairing with Rookie of the Year Gunnar Henderson on the left side of the infield. Sooner or later, the Orioles have to act like potential postseason behemoth they are.

That last sentence deserves to be emphasized - whether or not Dylan Cease is on your personal short list of SP upgrades.

Edited by 24fps
  • Like 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

We shouldn’t do a trade just because we can.  Ortiz stands a good chance of being as valuable as Cease but for 6 years instead of 2.   I like Cease.  As Stan Laurel said about Barnaby, “But I don’t love him”.

That's close to where I am.

To give up that package for Cease, the FO should be confident they are going to be able to get better performance from Cease than he has (with one notable exception) delivered so far in his career.

If they feel that way, I trust them.

If they don't feel that way, I trust them.

For those two and nothing else [significant] I would.  Cease is no sure thing but could be a huge get.  I like Ortiz but he's gonna be 26 this year.  I don't love Cowser; didn't like the pick and just don't believe he'll be an impact MLB player.  He's a great kid with damn good MILB numbers, he's just not my guy.