Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

I'll breathe a sigh of relief if/when the Dodgers get Ohtani.     Soto may only be a temporary visitor to the division, but Blue Jays Ohtani would have big impact on Jackson Holliday's expected number of AL East division championships, and the valuable tournament bye (even though we flubbed it first time).

Game theory wise, if LAD doesn't get Ohtani now, it'll increase their '25 Soto odds.

I'd prefer zero of Soto-Ohtani in division for most of the decade.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

He’s a cautious trader.  He didn’t give up any top prospects for Flaherty.  Hernaiz was not top ten for Irvin.   Cease will be a good test for him.  Most think it’s going to take Cowser/Kjerstad + Ortiz/Norby.   If he can get him for less, bravo.   Now, if he has to overpay to get him does that make him a good trader or is he a good trader by walking away.   Some of his recent trades, like Flaherty, haven’t worked out but I don’t think anyone, for the most part, thinks he overpaid at the time of the deal.

I guess my point is he hasn’t traded for an impact player. The deadline the last 2 years has produced nothing. Just because he didn’t give anything up, he gave up something and essentially got nothing. Some of our prospects are losing value due to waiting too long or not getting an opportunity. Norby and Stowers are both examples … Norby was Top 100. He’s definitely going in the wrong direction. 

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

No, no team is solely built on trades.

Indisputably though, they got their number 1 starter through a trade and all they gave up was the broken down corpse of Dylan Bundy.

Your right but it’s the exception and I’m more talking about buying as opposed to selling

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I guess my point is he hasn’t traded for an impact player. The deadline the last 2 years has produced nothing. Just because he didn’t give anything up, he gave up something and essentially got nothing. Some of our prospects are losing value due to waiting too long or not getting an opportunity. Norby and Stowers are both examples … Norby was Top 100. He’s definitely going in the wrong direction. 

I’d agree that he hasn’t made a trade for an impact player.   I wouldn’t agree that Norby is going in the wrong direction and Stowers was never a top 100 guy.  Almost everyone in our system increased their value this past year.

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’d agree that he hasn’t made a trade for an impact player.   I wouldn’t agree that Norby is going in the wrong direction and Stowers was never a top 100 guy.  Almost everyone in our system increased their value this past year.

Really …Norby is no longer in anybody’s top 100. He was last year. If they did a top 200 my guess is he’s somewhere between 110-130

There is an alternate timeline where Connor Norby made his major league debut in 2023. Ranked as a top-100 prospect by both Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America going into the season, the infielder was coming off of 2022 where he excelled at three levels in the minors.Nov 2, 2023

Edited by Roll Tide

44 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Not only do you have Soto as a poor defender, but it pushes Judge to CF taking a good defensive corner outfielder and miscasting him, downgrading two positions. It'll be very interesting to see how often Grisham ends up playing. A lot of that depends on injuries (of course) and Stanton. If Stanton can't bounce back, the offense is still top heavy for the Yankees. And Boone may opt to DH Soto and put Grisham in CF to improve the defense given he had an identical OPS+ to Stanton last year. 

And, to get Soto (and Verdugo) the Yankees traded a lot of pitching depth....so depending on what else they do this offseason, they may take a not-inconsequential hit on the run prevention side. 

I wonder if the Yankees will try to trade Stanton. Eating Stanton's contract could be a good way for a rebuilding team with money to buy themselves a prospect or two. 

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Really …Norby is no longer in anybody’s top 100. He was last year. If they did a top 200 my guess is he’s somewhere between 110-130

Just Baseball has Norby at #76 on their October 2023 updated 100.  Sure, he was 93 on BA preseason and not on their updated “in season” update.  He may have slipped on the two lists you mentioned but I don’t believe he’s lost any value by letting him play all season at Norfolk.

https://www.justbaseball.com/prospects/mlb-top-100-prospects-2023/

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wonder if the Yankees will try to trade Stanton. Eating Stanton's contract could be a good way for a rebuilding team with money to buy themselves a prospect or two. 

That is going to be tough after the last 2 seasons he just had. If he can rebound and get back over .800 OPS, they might be able to eat most of the remaining 3 years and trade him next offseason to a team that needs a RH DH