Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I find this interesting only because of his stated east coast (or at least close to east coast) preference.

Are either NY teams involved?  Braves? Marlins? rays? Indians? Phillies? pirates?  Nats? Red Sox?

In skeptical about all of those teams being involved outside of the Braves and Red Sox.

If the east coast thing is true, he may not find as big a deal as thought…maybe there is a slight opening for the Os?

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I find this interesting only because of his stated east coast (or at least close to east coast) preference.

Are either NY teams involved?  Braves? Marlins? rays? Indians? Phillies? pirates?  Nats? Red Sox?

In skeptical about all of those teams being involved outside of the Braves and Red Sox.

If the east coast thing is true, he may not find as big a deal as thought…maybe there is a slight opening for the Os?

For some reason the Mets feel right to me. Maybe they missed out on Yamamoto and E-Rod is the backup plan. 

58 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

These asking prices for Free Agent and Trades return for Starting Pitching are at an-all time astronomical high.  That asking price for Cease is starting at insane and may go beyond insane when the bidding is done....

I'd rather go with Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, Kremer, and Hall, and whoever emerges from McDermott, Povich, Johnson, Wells, and Irwin and keep my prospects....  

This is precisely why Mike Elias said he doesn't feel pressure to have to do anything. We have options within the organization. Maybe DL Hall takes a big step forward as a starting pitcher in 2024 just like Grayson Rodriguez did in 2023.

Maybe Povich, Johnson, or McDermott make their debut and fill in if there's any fatigue or injuries to the main starters, and they are very successful to start their MLB careers. At the very least, they are capable of filling in for a few innings.

then we also have Cole Irvin who's capable. And Bruce Zimmerman can be a swing man to eat up some innings here and there when needed.

With all that said, these are big unknowns and the odds would be better stacked in our favor for the postseason to add a premiere pitcher like Burnes.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

If the asking price for Cease is that Reds package (again, who knows what is true), I feel even better about our odds of getting him and maybe being able to do it without trading any of our top 5 guys.

Who would be our two pitching prospects roughly equitable to those two? Genuine question, I'm not familiar with the Red system. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Who would be our two pitching prospects roughly equitable to those two? Genuine question, I'm not familiar with the Red system. 

First of all, we don’t know that a pitching prospect or 2 have to be in the trade or be the headliner of the trade. That was just one potential deal, nothing more than that.

If they must receive a pitcher as the headliner for the deal, we can’t trade with them but if they are just looking for the best package and that package is some equivalent to that, we can easily make a move here.

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Just a hunch but I feel like Atlanta and Baltimore make the most sense here.  This decision probably ties to where Cease ends up going.

6 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I was referring to this tweet. 

That's 4 top Reds prospects I believe, not top 100.

It’s 4 of their top 11..in a good system but one not as good as ours and one of those guys is a far away intl lottery ticket.

This is not some crazy high asking price at all.  I would gladly trade Ortiz, Povich, Beavers/Norby/Stowers and an intl guy like Arias or Tavera for him. Don’t even hesitate on that offer.

Im not even sure why the Reds would balk on thus unless they really love Lowder, who was their first round pick. 

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Just a hunch but I feel like Atlanta and Baltimore make the most sense here.  This decision probably ties to where Cease ends up going.

I don’t see the Os being realistic at all of the deal is 4/70ish or more.

But 3/55 or less?  Thats possible. Hard to believe that’s all he can get, so I still don’t find it to be that realistic but if he is going to narrow down his choices to only a certain group of teams and many of those teams don’t want him, maybe he gets far less?

6 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I was referring to this tweet. 

That's 4 top Reds prospects I believe, not top 100.

The price for Cease is very high, and it should be, says Chicago reporter Bruce Levine. 

The only reason that asking price was leaked was because it was immediately laughed out of the room.