Is Luzardo a realistic target?

Frobby

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

You could be right but for all we know, 2023 might be Luzardo’s best.  His 2023 and Cease 2023 FWAR were both 3.7.  Interesting, because the perception is that Luzardo had a breakout and Cease had a bad year.

That’s because pitchers aren’t judged solely on fWAR, nor should they be IMO.  Is it something to consider?  Sure.  

To me the main advantage of Luzardo is the extra year of control.  I’m not at all sure he’s the better pitcher.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, interloper said:

That is way, way, WAY, WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much. Insanity. 

Baseball trade values has it as a significant underpay actually and while I know it's a website to be taken with a grain of salt, it is by no means "way, way, WAY, WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much".

It seems like the Marlins would want MLB players back as the main pieces because they see themselves as contenders. So Santander, Mateo/Urias, + would be the framework. With maybe all three involved. That would also take three salaries off our hands and we could re-allocate those resources to the bullpen and/or a FA like Jorge Soler. It would be nice to get Stephenson, and one of Kimbrel/Roberston, and really have a shut down pen w/o Bautista. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It seems like the Marlins would want MLB players back as the main pieces because they see themselves as contenders. So Santander, Mateo/Urias, + would be the framework. With maybe all three involved. That would also take three salaries off our hands and we could re-allocate those resources to the bullpen and/or a FA like Jorge Soler. It would be nice to get Stephenson, and one of Kimbrel/Roberston, and really have a shut down pen w/o Bautista. 

Would you make that trade if you were the Marlins? (assuming the + is Norby again)

20 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Baseball trade values has it as a significant underpay actually and while I know it's a website to be taken with a grain of salt, it is by no means "way, way, WAY, WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much".

Just a grain of salt? That garbage site has Luzardo value at 63.3 to Jackson Holliday at 68.9, you think anyone would be happy with that trade? Or according to them we could offer an even trade of Basallo, Mayo and McDermott for Luzardo

54 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Would you make that trade if you were the Marlins? (assuming the + is Norby again)

If I’m the Marlins, I make these deals…

Santander(QO offer possibility for 2025)

Urias

Mateo

One of Norby/Stowers/Fabian/Povich/Mcdermott/Johnson

Marlins get a highly motivated SH RF to pair with Josh Bell. A GG level 3B/2B that will likely put up better offensive numbers outside of OPACY, and poor man’s Chizolm to keep versatility. Then a choice of several prospects. I don’t know what else their intentions are this offseason to choose that prospect. 

It’s not just 1 year of Santa. They can QO him and get a 1st rd pick next year. Maybe they want to extend him.

From our viewpoint… that’s a lot of depth and our MOO from a 100 win team, but we get the SP we cannot land in FA, and we have Cowser and Kjerstad to replace Santa. Hicks in the mix. Lots of IF depth including Mayo. 

Maybe they’d want Baker or Webb instead of one of the prospects. Just because we have depth, doesn’t mean our guys have less value.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would strongly prefer Luzardo to Cease.  Better control, better pitcher.  I'm not giving up Holliday or Basallo for anyone, but I would include Mayo in a trade for Luzardo (which I would not do for Cease).  

I’d make Westburg, Cowser, Ortiz  available, maybe Basallo. I’m hanging onto Holiday, Kjerstad, & Mayo.

8 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would strongly prefer Luzardo to Cease.  Better control, better pitcher.  I'm not giving up Holliday or Basallo for anyone, but I would include Mayo in a trade for Luzardo (which I would not do for Cease).  

I agree, I prefer Luzardo & Burnes over Cease.