MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Where is all this coming from? Much of this sounds like a sports talk show of speculation. Also, your posting history was wrong about past free agents. I am skeptical that a decision has been made on prospects starting on Opening Day, long before anything in Spring Training has even happened. I am also skeptical of the viewpoint of certainty that a trade with the White Sox will happen. That is something that takes 2 front offices to agree on and we know the price has been higher than the Orioles front office feels is reasonable/responsible.

That said, most other things certainly seem possible. I definitely buy the idea that Elias makes the Lineups and Brandon Hyde just manages players. I'm surprised Even was mentioned in that and Sig was not.

I totally believe the bit about Flaherty.

I also believe Westburg is the best of the bunch. I'm excited to see him develop.

I like Kjerstad so I hope things smooth over with his parents. I don't want him to be traded.

Yes …mostly opinions 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You are not equating Urias (7.4 rWAR) with Polanco (17,0 rWAR), are you?   I certainly think we could get something for Urias, but nothing close to what the Twins got for Polanco.  

If I was, why would I say "anything", meaning a return of something - which is exactly what you just said.

15 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Tidbits from the caravan gossip: beat writers / coaches / players various news comments. Big shout out to my brother and nephew for the help.

1. PA just breathes and blinks and the team will go up for sale when he dies. It’ll be a long, arduous process though.

2. Elias & Rosenbaum have all the input on lineups. Hyde manages the players.

3. Holliday will start at 2nd on opening day and Mayo makes the team bc he’s playing RF too.

4. Grod was very angry at FO by not making team. They had him change grip on slider and told him ST results didn’t matter bc he was going North.

5. They don’t like Kjerstad’s dad at all. Way too involved.

6. that Holmes is gone; and Flaherty hated by teammates;

7. they’ll definitely as some point get Cease;

8. they love Mateo for speed & D;

9. Ortiz, Norby, HK more likely to get traded;

10. Means will be a beast this yr;

11. players love new asst pitching coach;

12. will be difficult to extend Gunnar & Holliday bc of Boras; 

13. Jordan Westburg is the one they think most highly of (by far) amongst Westburg/Ortiz/Norby and he thinks Westburg is the Opening Day 3B. 

14.  DL Hall likely to be in the bullpen long term.

15. Urias most likely just to get cut (maybe traded for peanuts but not sure if anyone wants to trade even that).

16. Hyde is a players coach, potentially to a fault (as in, he thinks the players walk over him as evidenced by the paltry attendance amongst star players at the Caravans this year).

17.  Dean Kremer is most likely to fade out, particularly if Tyler Wells can rebound.

18. Cole Irvin was one of the nicest guys but was fully expecting to be non-tendered and was shocked the Orioles gave him $2M but still might not make the team.

Thanks for posting this. love these tidbits of information even if some of it could be speculation. Its always interesting to read.

Bo Bichette speaks it into reality more successfully than OH posters trying to work the baseball gods for the Club to sign somebody, anybody to an early extension.

I look forward to seeing if Orioles pitchers can make him look how very, very old he is.     Albert Pujols he is not.

12 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Out of all the moves this off-season, this one irritates me the most. He will be a thorn in our side. 

Maybe. He's 39 and stayed healthy all year in 2023. Do I think that will happen again in 2024? Not particularly. 

Edited by interloper

I don’t have high hopes for anymore moves, but it would be nice to have one more RH reliever with an option. If we don’t do a Cease trade then hopefully we could turn Urías into that return.

Maybe a Fuji reunion on a milb deal?  Uwasawa took that with the Rays for a chance to pitch in the MLB versus back to Japan. Maybe Fuji does the same?

Kimbrel, Cano*, Webb, Baumann, Tate*, Baker*, Hensley*, McDermott*, Johnson*

* = option for 2024

That 2nd RH SU man in front of Kimbrel and Cano is spotty. I guess Hall is in that spot right now and we don’t care about handedness. 

Holliday or Mayo breaking camp with the team is only unlikely because of the depth charts in front of them. Even though they have limited AAA experience I could see both being considered as MLB ready after this offseason - they are so young that they’re going to do a lot of developing over that period of time.

If the Orioles think both have some chance at ROY and are the best options to win games in 2024, I could see them prioritizing promoting them on Opening Day despite the future financial benefit of holding them back. 

The projection systems think they’re both ready now. The problem is - how much of an upgrade is Holliday over Ortiz or Urias? Or Mayo over O’Hearn, Cowser or Kjerstad? It looks to me like a small enough margin that it makes sense to bank the service time and wait until mid season, but (1) trades could completely alter the picture or (2) Holliday/Mayo could show up to Spring Training looking so improved that they’re not putting the best MLB team on the field by sending them down.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Would you be happy with a return for Hays or Santander similar to the one Minnesota got for Polanco?

No.  I don’t like that particular package so something similar doesn’t work unless I know the names.  Topa is the only decent bet to help the Twins.  

Edited by RZNJ
  • Downvote 1