MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Are any of those guys considered impact bats?

They might develop into impact bats, but they certainly can't be considered that now.  It's pretty clear that in the slim chance the Mariner's trade one of those SPs it's not going to be for an unproven minor leaguer. It would have to be a MLB bat and someone significantly better than Santander, Hays, etc.

India, who Cincy is looking to trade, for one of those young arms would make a lot of sense. Cincy and Seattle have a recent trade history too (Luis Castillo) and Seattle has a need at 2B. We can't compete with that offer, based on what the Mariner's are probably looking for unless they REALLY like Mullins for a bounce back season and we're willing to trade him. People keep trying to force a round peg into a square hole with Seattle with these trade ideas, but we really don't match up well. 

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

They might develop into impact bats, but they certainly can't be considered that now.  It's pretty clear that in the slim chance the Mariner's trade one of those SPs it's not going to be for an unproven minor leaguer. It would have to be a MLB bat and someone significantly better than Santander, Hays, etc.

India, who Cincy is looking to trade, for one of those young arms would make a lot of sense. Cincy and Seattle have a recent trade history too (Luis Castillo) and Seattle has a need at 2B. We can't compete with that offer, based on what the Mariner's are probably looking for unless they REALLY like Mullins for a bounce back season and we're willing to trade him. People keep trying to force a round peg into a square hole with Seattle with these trade ideas, but we really don't match up well. 

India has been mediocre since his rookie season. I think Westburg should carry more value. Agree that Mariners could be looking at 2B though. 

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

India has been mediocre since his rookie season. I think Westburg should carry more value. Agree that Mariners could be looking at 2B though. 

It's less about value and more about what the Mariner's are probably looking for (i.e, established players not unproven minor leaguers). 

6 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Also, for the record India basically replicated his rookie season last year in fewer ABs and he was on pace for even bigger numbers before he got injured in late July / all of August. So I'm not sure that statement about him being mediocre since his rookie season really holds any water. 

It's less about value and more about what the Mariner's are probably looking for (i.e, established players not unproven minor leaguers). 

I may be a homer but I thought Westburg looked like he belonged and will become a good major league starter. He’s got 6 years of control too. Given the Mariners needs, I feel like packaging Santander and Westburg might be appealing. Probably not enough for their controllable pitchers though if I’m being realistic.

Also, for the record India basically replicated his rookie season last year in fewer ABs and he was on pace for even bigger numbers before he got injured in late July / all of August. So I'm not sure that statement about him being mediocre since his rookie season really holds any water. 

I’m really just going off his OPS+ of 94 and 100 the last two years. I probably should have referred to that as about league average. 

24 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Two of those three might get you Gilbert, but I doubt they get you Kirby. Gilbert and Kirby aren't interchangeable. Kirby's worth considerably more. 

I'm thinking they would demand 1 of Mayo/Basallo, and 1 of Cowser, Kjerstad, or Westburg plus a couple lower level prospects.  Probably more for Kirby.

4 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I may be a homer but I thought Westburg looked like he belonged and will become a good major league starter. He’s got 6 years of control too. Given the Mariners needs, I feel like packaging Santander and Westburg might be appealing. Probably not enough for their controllable pitchers though if I’m being realistic.

If they like Westberg then Westberg/Santander for Woo, Miller, or Hancock/another lower end minor leaguer might work. Probably not enough of a starting point for Kirby or Gilbert though. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

It's basically a coin flip if he is better than Kremer this season

There is certainly a question as to whether he is what the O's need for 2024.  With Rodriguez needing to prove he can go 170 innings and Means coming back from TJS it might be better if Elias looked for someone a little more proven.  Of the Mariners pitchers who might be available, I like Gilbert but I think he would ultimately be too expensive.