Realistic Free Agent #3 Pitchers

ScGO's

2 hours ago, ScGO's said:

What's left with adjusted salary estimates

Marcus Stroman - 2 Year 40 Million

Hyun Jin Ryu - 1 Year 14 Million

Alex Wood - 2 year 30 Million

I would be open to one of these 2 in the middle part of the rotation.  Wood might be the best return according to those costs, and he's a LHP.  Ryu is nothing more than a lottery ticket 'prove it'  guy.  Stroman is the best of the 3, but his cost probably puts us out of contention for his services.

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

I would be open to one of these 2 in the middle part of the rotation.  Wood might be the best return according to those costs, and he's a LHP.  Ryu is nothing more than a lottery ticket 'prove it'  guy.  Stroman is the best of the 3, but his cost probably puts us out of contention for his services.

"one of these 3 for the middle part of the rotation"

13 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Mike Clevinger - 2 Year 35 Million

Cory Kluber - 1 Year 8 Million

James Paxton - 1 year 14 Million

Michael Lorenzen - 2 year 28 Million

Give Hall the ball every 5th day before signing of these guys.

18 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Every time one of these risky rebound SPs signs for more money than Cease will earn this year the WS board seems to think it only adds to their leverage 🤷‍♂️

That board acts shocked every time a pitcher gets signed for a lot of money, as if that wasn’t always going to happen.

Every team knows part of the appeal for Cease is that you get to pay him a lot less money…but trading 12-18 years of cheap service time for 2 years of his service time more than makes up for that money.  That’s the part they keep missing.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/free-agent-profile-marcus-stroman.html

Good write-up on Stroman and the state of the mid-rotation market.

If Stroman is willing to take a 2-year deal, I think I’d rather have him than Dylan Cease, considering that we wouldn’t have to give up any prospects to acquire him.  

I was unaware of his rib injury last year.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

If Stroman is willing to take a 2-year deal, I think I’d rather have him than Dylan Cease, considering that we wouldn’t have to give up any prospects to acquire him.  

I was unaware of his rib injury last year.  

Stroman is interesting. He has some stats that you don’t like but he has a history of being better than his stats say he should be.

These shorter term deals with opt outs seem to be popular right now. I’m not sure if the Os would go for that or if that’s even what Stroman is looking for but I suspect that’s what he is going to sign for.

14 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Mike Clevinger - 2 Year 35 Million

Cory Kluber - 1 Year 8 Million

James Paxton - 1 year 14 Million

Michael Lorenzen - 2 year 28 Million

Wood is a swing man 5th starter type. Same with Ryu …..70 innings over the last 2 years with FIP around 5.

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Give Hall the ball every 5th day before signing of these guys.

I like Stroman, but we will probably be outbid on him too. I would have rather had Gibson back than any of the other guys.

Definitely need to start exploring the trade market or internal options at this point. Trade market may have been Plan A all along, we'll see. Could be Elias and Getz are just waiting each other out to see if there is another bidder on Cease. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I like Stroman, but we will probably be outbid on him too. I would have rather had Gibson back than any of the other guys.

Definitely need to start exploring the trade market or internal options at this point. Trade market may have been Plan A all along, we'll see. Could be Elias and Getz are just waiting each other out to see if there is another bidder on Cease. 

Unless Stroman signs for Kimbrel/Gibson/Lyles type deal, the Os aren’t signing him anyway.

They aren’t paying 18-22M a year for a starter.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Unless Stroman signs for Kimbrel/Gibson/Lyles type deal, the Os aren’t signing him anyway.

They aren’t paying 18-22M a year for a starter.

What if was a 2 year extension for John Means, buy out his last year of Arb. Say 3 years 50 million. Average of 20 million a Year. People keep looking for an external Game 3 post season starter. Those guys are already here. I understand the concern with Means health but I also remember how good he is, the other is Wells and Potentially your guy Hall, but i want them backend  BP and starter depth, that said we need a 5th starter or another significant BP piece. The Orioles spend a little bit of money they could set this staff up for the next 3 or 4 years

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Means could be that guy but I don’t think you rely on it and I don’t see any reason to extend him anytime soon.

The reason you’d do it is obvious.  The longer you wait, the more likely it is that he decides to play out the year and become a free agent, if he gets off to a good start.   I’m not saying we should do it, but that’s the reason we’d consider it.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Means could be that guy but I don’t think you rely on it and I don’t see any reason to extend him anytime soon.

Well your either going to extend him soon or not The arb deadline is approaching, this is his last year before free agency. Again i get the injury concerns, that with any player, John Means? just look at his resume hes worth 20 million a year. Risk? of course thats any contract