Two questions regarding the Opening Day starting infield alignment

Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Something I've never understood is that by all accounts Ortiz is the best defensive SS of the group, and likely the worst hitter.

So why on Earth would anyone be penciling in Ortiz at 2b or 3b?  That makes no sense.

If the alignment is Westburg, Ortiz and Henderson, I agree with you but everyone’s focus seems to be that we must put the best defender at SS and let the rest work itself out.

I disagree  with that. The alignment should be what is best as a whole.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If the alignment is Westburg, Ortiz and Henderson, I agree with you but everyone’s focus seems to be that we must put the best defender at SS and let the rest work itself out.

I disagree  with that. The alignment should be what is best as a whole.

Right, but if it doesn't make sense to start Ortiz at SS then he almost certainly isn't a better option to start anywhere else because he has the worst bat of the bunch, likely so.  (I'm including Holliday.)

40 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Right, but if it doesn't make sense to start Ortiz at SS then he almost certainly isn't a better option to start anywhere else because he has the worst bat of the bunch, likely so.  (I'm including Holliday.)

Well I disagree with that depending on the alignment.  His bat will be fine at second too.

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Something I've never understood is that by all accounts Ortiz is the best defensive SS of the group, and likely the worst hitter.

So why on Earth would anyone be penciling in Ortiz at 2b or 3b?  That makes no sense.

Because Henderson is a franchise player and a plus SS.   If the defensive edge with Ortiz is slight then you don’t move your franchise player to 3B to see if Ortiz can cut it as an everyday player.   If Ortiz establishes himself  offensively it can be revisited in the future.   BTW, the few games I saw of Ortiz at 3B he could be great over there.  His strength is his quickness, hands, and body control.  I actually think Henderson might have more range at SS and we know about the arm.

Also, who said Ortiz is the worst hitter of the infield prospects?  His AAA numbers take a back seat to no one.

Edited by RZNJ