Nolan Reimold

bsblontz3217

Today on the Baltimore Sun website O's on Deck looked at Nolan Reimold http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/minors/blog/2009/02/nolan_reimold_orioles_prospect.html

Seeing his name reminded me that before the Freel and Pie acquisitions, Reimold had a fairly decent shot at making the big club if he had a productive spring. Now it looks more likely he will be manning the OF for the Tides this summer. He has shown he can hit for power and he is improving his plate discipline. I also believe he is an average defender with a plus arm but is getting used to playing LF. What do you see happening with Reimold this year and in the future? Do you see a position change in his future (1B)?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Scott is blocking Reimold more than Freel. MacPhail obviously values speed and defense in the OF more than decent OBP, power and average defense, so I think unless Scott is traded or someone in the OF gets injured or falls off the side of a cliff, Reimold is pretty much stuck in Norfolk. He's good talent to have on the farm in case of an emergency, but I don't see him factoring into the O's long-term plans and wouldn't be surprised to see him traded at some point.

I think Scott is blocking Reimold more than Freel. MacPhail obviously values speed and defense in the OF more than decent OBP, power and average defense, so I think unless Scott is traded or someone in the OF gets injured or falls off the side of a cliff, Reimold is pretty much stuck in Norfolk. He's good talent to have on the farm in case of an emergency, but I don't see him factoring into the O's long-term plans and wouldn't be surprised to see him traded at some point.

Unfortunately with his past I'd have to agree with you. The only reason I think Freel is blocking Reimold more than Scott is because he is RH. That being said Freel will be gone next season and barring trade Scott with still be around. Do you think that basically the same future is in store for Lou?

Unfortunately with his past I'd have to agree with you. The only reason I think Freel is blocking Reimold more than Scott is because he is RH. That being said Freel will be gone next season and barring trade Scott with still be around. Do you think that basically the same future is in store for Lou?

Freel can play multiple positions though. Scott and Reimold cannot, so IMO, Scott is blocking Reimold as the 4th OF/DH guy.

With so many outfielders for the big league club? No 1B prospects in the minors and Huff's contract ending this year. Why not have him learn 1B for the Tides? If nothing else, it would be cheap solution for the bench next year. Someone who can hit hrs/run and play 3 outfield positions (CF in a pinch) and 1B/DH? Flexibility to trade Scott or Ty mid-season for a need (SS/3rd)?

With so many outfielders for the big league club? No 1B prospects in the minors and Huff's contract ending this year. Why not have him learn 1B for the Tides? If nothing else, it would be cheap solution for the bench next year. Someone who can hit hrs/run and play 3 outfield positions (CF in a pinch) and 1B/DH? Flexibility to trade Scott or Ty mid-season for a need (SS/3rd)?

I agree that this is something that the O's are going to have to look into because Reimold is currently blocked. I don't know how realistic this really is but imagine that he could make the jump to 1B and like you say he could then have to ability to play OF. If he continues to hit and improve his plate discipline I would think that his bat could play somewhere in the majors. He may not be the power bat we are looking for at 1B but like you're saying he would give us an option and might be able to contribute to the big club faster at 1B.

Reimold was a longshot to make the team even before all the trades. Montanez seemed to be ahead of him on the 2009 depth chart. Hopefully he plays well this spring, turns some heads, then puts together a good year at Norfolk, earning a call-up in September or earlier. Obviously, if there are some injuries or a deadline trade that changes the picture.

It can't hurt to have him get work in at 1B in Norfolk. I'd be open to the idea if I were him because it's probably his best way to get a tryout at a starting role.

If he can be an average defensive first baseman with an .800-.825 OPS who is cheap and under control long term that's another position taken care of from 2010 on.

Of course, his biggest defensive asset is his arm, so that is a bit of a step backwards. We'll see.

This isn't directed towards anyone... but I really don't know how the Red Sox were winning World Series' with Manny Ramirez in LF. :rolleyes:

The O's act as if they need 3 Willie Mays' in the OF. It's a shame Reimold is going to get stuck in Norfolk. I hope Pie becomes the player they hope he can become, but it's still going to suck to watch Reimold rot in AAA.

Do you think that next year Reimold can come in as the 4th OF and take some RH AB's in LF and DH for Pie and Scott? Or do you think that this would be Lou? I'm assuming that Wiggington moves to 3B or 1B. I agree that Lou is probably still ahead of Reimold but I'm interested to see if either get traded this season. At least Norfolk should have a pretty sick OF!

The leftfield surplus is where the O's will probably trade from in the next year.

Riemold starts at AAA. I hope Harbor Park does not mess him up.

Freel maybe an Oriole for 1 year. He will have to go through free agency so his salary can drop before the O's would invite him back, (preformance not withstanding).

Pie gets at least April and May to be the primary LF. If he's doing well, he stays. If he's struggling a bit, he probably starts losing some time. Only if he's doing nothing, with a low 600s OPS, do you bench or demote him.

If Pie is not the LF in July or so, then Reimold gets his chance, provided things are going well in Norfolk, which I expect.

Reimold's bat will dictate how this plays out. If he repeats at Norfolk what he did at Bowie (less homers I would assume), you almost have to find a spot for him. It's still too early to say what will become of him, except that we know where he will spend most if not all of '09.

For a guy like Nolan with several holes in his game both offensively and defensively, along with some very plus skills (power bat and power arm), it seems that his value will be maximized only if he stays primarily in RF -- not shifted to 1B, LF, DH, or anywhere else. And last time I looked, the O's have a pretty good RF. (What's that guy's name?)

Ultimately, I think the best plan for the O's as well as for Nolan is for him to go to Norfolk, stay exclusively in RF, have a monster breakout year, and then be dangled a year from now for that elusive SS of the future.

Archived