Just a Thought

RZNJ

Thought it would be interesting to assume all prospects start at Norfolk and instead of putting them at their regular positions, to put them where they might have the best chance of playing in the majors or at least at positions where they might play and need more reps.

1B Kjerstad

2B Holliday

SS Ortiz 

3B 

C Handley

LF Norby

CF Cowser

RF Mayo

Some, I’m sure will argue that Cowser should be in LF, Holliday at SS, and Kjerstad in RF.    I’m ready to discuss why I have them where I have them.

31 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

A case can be made for Holliday and/or Ortiz getting more reps at 3B.  Assuming the brass wants to keep Gunnar at SS…

Yes.   Possible for sure if both Ortiz and Holliday are on the same infield.  Otherwise, I expect Westburg to move to 3B with Holliday at 2B.

Mayo staying at 3B seems to be viewed as unlikely by many of the posters on this board. Most folks seem to think he's better suited for RF or 1B. What is the basis for this sentiment? Here is @Tony-OH's assessment of him from the 2023 prospects list:

"Defensively, Mayo also made strides at third base where he worked on moving closer to the hitter and working on a drop step vs positioning himself so deep. This allowed him to come in on balls more effectively and the drop step allowed him to set his feet under him better and use his plus plus arm to throw out runners. Mayo's throwing accuracy also improved this season with the better footwork and a slightly lowered arm angle though he can still struggle at time when moving to his left. Listed at 6-5, 230 the concern remains whether he will eventually end up too big to play an effective 3B, but for now, he's shown enough improvements that he can play 3B effectively if a team is going to live with a few more errors then some would like. In his limited play at first base, Mayo took well to the position and looks to be a legitimate option there, though he would waste his plus plus arm."

So he's 22 years old. He's clearly made significant improvements on his defense at 3B. Who's to say he can't continue to improve. Cal was 6' 4" and 225 lbs and played both SS and 3B. I don't remember anyone describing his arm as "plus-plus." I just think you have to give Coby an opportunity to stay at 3B. If he can play a solid 3B his bat is elite. I think he's a bit less valuable at 1B or RF.  Just my $0.02.

• Upvote 2

Agree. I think it's kind of silly not to pencil Mayo in, for AAA of all places, at his primary position.

I think the O's goal should be to have him be the primary 3B too, starting on opening day. Just my 2 cents.

17 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Mayo staying at 3B seems to be viewed as unlikely by many of the posters on this board. Most folks seem to think he's better suited for RF or 1B. What is the basis for this sentiment?

34 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Agree. I think it's kind of silly not to pencil Mayo in, for AAA of all places, at his primary position.

I think the O's goal should be to have him be the primary 3B too, starting on opening day. Just my 2 cents.

How I read the OP is to simply play with the roster/prospect flexibility.  It's just a 'for fun' winter thread more than predicting the end goal or what anyone would do.  (Though that speculation has happened elsewhere.)

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Mayo staying at 3B seems to be viewed as unlikely by many of the posters on this board. Most folks seem to think he's better suited for RF or 1B. What is the basis for this sentiment?

First of all, his fielding percentage remains quite substandard, as detailed in other posts.  

But the issue here isn’t whether Mayo may develop into a decent 3B.   It’s that we have several 3B who are far better than decent.   Having Mayo at 3B is not our best defensive alignment given the other players we have who play 3B.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

First of all, his fielding percentage remains quite substandard, as detailed in other posts.  

But the issue here isn’t whether Mayo may develop into a decent 3B.   It’s that we have several 3B who are far better than decent.   Having Mayo at 3B is not our best defensive alignment given the other players we have who play 3B.

Kind of an age old question here. If you are swapping out players to improve your defense, do you then lose a bit on offence. If Mayo turns into a league average defender at 3B (I'm surprised you used fielding percentage in your post-by the way) but puts up an OPS+ of 150, can you live with that defense? As opposed to another player at 3B whose offence is league average but their defense is stellar? Third base is a tough one for that. Most folks lean toward CF, SS and C as defense first positions. 2B and 3B are sort of in between. 

29 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Kind of an age old question here. If you are swapping out players to improve your defense, do you then lose a bit on offence. If Mayo turns into a league average defender at 3B (I'm surprised you used fielding percentage in your post-by the way) but puts up an OPS+ of 150, can you live with that defense? As opposed to another player at 3B whose offence is league average but their defense is stellar? Third base is a tough one for that. Most folks lean toward CF, SS and C as defense first positions. 2B and 3B are sort of in between. 

I used fielding percentage for two reasons: (1) we don’t really have advanced metrics for minor leaguers, and (2) if the fielding percentage is quite bad, it’s hard to make up for that with range.  And, I’ve never heard anyone say Mayo has above average range anyway.  So, I’m pretty confident that if we had advanced metrics for MiL defense, Mayo wouldn’t score that well.  That’s not to say he can’t continue to improve, but I’m dubious he’ll be as good as our several other options defensively.  

As to your point about the tradeoff between offense and defense, I generally agree.  We aren’t trying to put our best defensive alignment on the field, we are trying to put the alignment that gives us the best offense/defense combination on the field.  It’s quite a complex equation with all our young players and the versatility that many of them have.  But because I believe we have several better defensive options at 3B, i believe it’s likely that our best alignment will have Mayo somewhere else.  

• Upvote 1