How do you feel about Marcus Stroman?

Jim'sKid26

Many posters on the board has mentioned a desire to sign former Cub Marcus Stroman to a free agent contract this off season. I'm interested in your thoughts as to why you think he would be a valuable addition to the Orioles pitching staff.

Just to recap, Stroman is turning his back on a guaranteed $21 million in 2024 in an effort to see if he can find a bigger deal on the open market. Stroman signed a three-year, $71 million deal with the Cubs before the 2022 season. So it would seem logical that he hopes for more money than he declined from the Cubs. What would you pay him and why would he accept?

Brief review of his demographics:

9 years service time, career bWAR = 21.7

Drafted 1.22 out of Duke University in 2012 by Toronto

5'7" 180 lbs, ( yes, that makes him one of the shortest RHSP in MLB); 

2023 with the Cubs: 10-9, 3.95 ERA, 136.2 IP, 119 K, 52 BB, 113 ERA+, 3.58 FIP

Last 200+ IP season: 2017 (201) hasn't gone more than 140 since 2021

According to Baseball Savant Stroman throws 6 pitches, Sinker (46.4%), Slurve (22.9%), Cutter (9.5%), 4SFB (8.2%), Split finger (7.7%) and Slider (5.2%).

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I'd start at 1 year 22 Million and see where it goes. I think he'd want a 1 year contract in order to try and have a monster season and then get a 3-5 year deal next year

That's a lot of money for a guy who might give you around 20 starts and 140 IP. When he's healthy, he's effective but he's going to play most of 2024 as a 33 yo. He hasn't topped 150 IP in 3 years. I think I might pass on that.

Edited by Jim'sKid26

Just now, interloper said:

~135 innings is not really Elias' bag. At least not for the roughly $20 million it will cost.

Right.  It will cost more than 20M.  He’s getting 2 or 3 years with an opt out after the first year.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but if you combine Stroman’s lack of innings over the past year, and Kremer’s second half splits, does Kremer basically equal Stroman next year, while also giving you more innings? 

Wild card is how you view Stroman the competitor, and what slotting him into your rotation come playoff time means.  For a team in our situation, that is something that the front office is going to consider.  With how carefully teams are managing IPs, I can easily see a six man rotation being used here to minimize workload for Grayson and Bradish being so young, and Means coming back from major surgery.