RIP Billy Gardner

Number5

I can still see Billy retreating into shallow right center to catch Hank Bauer's popup for the final out in Hoyt Wilhelm's no-hitter.

I live close to Harrisburg, PA, where the Senators are the Washington Nationals' AA farm club.  There was a time when I thought  I would get to see Billy's son, Billy Jr., on the field in Harrisburg, as the Nationals named him to be the Senators' manager during the 2019-20 offseason.  But then the 2020 Eastern League season was cancelled due to COVID, and by the time minor league baseball was ready to resume, the Nationals decided on somebody else to manage the Senators in 2021.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.  I'm sure Elias will kick the tires.  WS will be asking for package headed by one of Holliday, Mayo or Basallo.  Maybe price will come down in the offseason.
    • Suarez is probably going to have to go back to the pen. We just don’t have enough arms there to make it through the season, especially with having very few relievers who can pitch more than 1 inning. Even though Suarez has been the much better pitcher than Kremer, he gives you no length. He is the basic definition of a “5 and dive” pitcher.  I guess they could try Kremer as a back end reliever given his strike out stuff and penchant for not being able to go through a lineup a third time. However, the downside to that is his susceptibility to the long ball.
    • This is Crochet's first full year back from TJS after 12 IP last year. You'd have to think if you are trading for him, it's not for this year, but next year as he's likely only got a few more starts left him if he's handled responsibly, which he should be, coming back from TJS. He's under control through the 2026 season and there is value in that even though he's arb eligible and will likely get a nice bump in salary.
    • Luzardo screams "flames out in a few years" to me. No thanks, or at least for what he'll cost. Robert has played literally one full season of baseball in his entire life. Again, too much risk and no thanks. Crochet would be a good target, because we get him for 2 1/2 years and is an elite lefty. Given where CHW are, a package with Kjerstad and one of our young pitchers (headlining) makes sense for both teams.  If we are forced to effectively give up on Mullins or Hays (either BC of injury or general suckiness), Taylor Ward does make sense. His name has been tossed around a lot. His splits playing against AL East teams kinda scare me, but he's a RH bat that can play good defensive OF and under team control for a few years and probably won't cost much. As for bullpen arms, this seems like the hardest to predict. CHW doesn't really have anybody pitching well there. The Marlins have our old friend Tanner Scott, but he isn't anything near a sure thing like other experienced closers. Mason Miller will cost too much. Chapman may make sense if DC is out. As a 36 year old rental he won't cost as much, which will be important if we go all in for a starter. His wildness will make our blood boil but he still has the swing and miss stuff and obviously a ton of playoff experience. Maybe Beeks from COL? Another lefty bullpen rental.
    • I was against the idea of a Crochet addition before the Bradish injury because I didn’t see the need. Now, I’m all for it. He would be a gamble but a much better buy than Luzardo who is not pitching well at all this season. He (Luzardo) would be the kind of non-impact move that we tried last year, that blew up in our faces.  On the other hand Robert is more of a luxury move than a need. IMO the needs are now top end starting pitcher (#2/3 type) AND shut down reliever. Anything addition beyond that is gravy. The priorities are pitching.
    • I think a RH bat is all we need offensively. I’d look at JD Martinez. 
    • How do other teams have ANY leverage? It’s not like Elias is forced to deal with them. If he was only dealing with one yea they would have leverage because the Orioles have a need on the roster. But because there are MULTIPLE with MULTIPLE players he can move on from any team and they will get nothing from us. Those other teams are incentivized to move their players JUST AS MUCH as we are incentivized to add. NOBODY is getting Westburg (or even asking for him at this point) or ANY OTHER MAINSTAY Major Leaguer of the roster. That’s not how the trade deadline works. As I mentioned nobody is going to the Yankees and saying give us Gil, Soto, Judge, Rodon, etc. Nobody is asking the Dodgers for Betts, Freeman, Ohtani, etc. Teams who are rebuilding/selling are asking for prospects. Oakland and the Chicago White Sox are not one player or even one year away. Guys who are already established now (even young ones like Jordan Westburg) do nothing for them in their phase of rebuilding.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now