If no Green or Ackley then what?

So who would be left on the board that we could take as a position player that wouldn't be a reach at #5?

I wish it could be like the NFL and we could trade down for more picks...

What's wrong with drafting a pitcher?

But to answer your question, Donovan Tate and Matt Davidson. (Though both are high schoolers)

What's wrong with drafting a pitcher?

But to answer your question, Donovan Tate and Matt Davidson. (Though both are high schoolers)

Unless we are trading one of the Big Three or Guthrie for positional talent, we need a hitter. There is a major unbalance in our system of pitching prospects compared to hitting prospects. Besides Snyder our ML ready corner IF prospects are really non-existant.

Tate would be an interesting selection although I hate taking a HS bat in the first round...

I would draft Green if he fell.

Other then that, I would draft a pitcher....not Ackley.

Ackley is likely going to be drafted higher than Green if he can play CF...

Pitching is always tough to find and you buy your bats.

See this is what I disagree with as we found Jake Arrieta in the 5th round, ditto for Bobby Bundy. There are always good pitchers that fall, but almost all of your elite offensive talent is found in the first round...

I would draft Green if he fell.

Other then that, I would draft a pitcher....not Ackley.

Pitching is always tough to find and you buy your bats.

I've read the counter arguments about not picking Ackley if he's available. But he would fit very nicely in the two hole for the O's...he's a pure hitter ,has speed and can play 1b (and should be in CF this year). When was the last time a college hitter batted over .400 his first two years or even as a rookie (especially at NC type programs)?

Why would you pass that up? He'd move through the system fast with his amazing bat and could be moved around as needed (or serious trade bait)...This is exactly the type of guy the O's need in this draft (position player with great bat upside that is close to MLB readiness), IMO.

So the Yankees could trade up and pick a guy the Pirates for instance couldn't afford? Someone like Wieters in '07 who only dropped to the O's since the teams picking above them didn't want to pay him?

If the Yankees wanted to trade up then they could, but it would cost them for that first round pick...

The Orioles could trade up to get a Wieters as well. It would help out those teams that didn't want to give out the huge bonuses...

I've read the counter arguments about not picking Ackley if he's available. But he would fit very nicely in the two hole for the O's...he's a pure hitter ,has speed and can play 1b (and should be in CF this year). When was the last time a college hitter batted over .400 his first two years or even as a rookie (especially at NC type programs)?

Why would you pass that up? He'd move through the system fast with his amazing bat and could be moved around as needed (or serious trade bait)...This is exactly the type of guy the O's need in this draft (position player with great bat upside that is close to MLB readiness), IMO.

Exactly, you put him in LF and trade Pie or move Jones to LF

Or you keep him at 1B which is what I would do. He could be like a Derrek Lee type of bat.

If the Yankees wanted to trade up then they could, but it would cost them for that first round pick...

The Orioles could trade up to get a Wieters as well. It would help out those teams that didn't want to give out the huge bonuses...

So could the Yankees trade away their first round pick for say the 2010 draft plus cash and a couple of prospects for say the number 2 overall pick in the 2009 draft with your idea?

Cause if they can please explain how that is going to effect type A free agents.

Giving higher income teams the ability to trade up giving the lower income teams the ability to trade down would IMHO give teams like the Yankees and Red Sox another way to use additional monies as an advantage.

I'm sorry JTrea, but this is really a stupid thread.

I don't know why you don't seem to grasp the concept of taking the best talent available.

If we pass on Crow or Matzek to reach for a bat, that would be beyong idiotic.

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with this one...

You do NOT go into a draft with something in mind besides taking the best talent available to you as you pick. The only thing that muddles that is the question of can you sign them? It is a waste of a draft pick to take someone without talking to them enough to know you can sign them, or at least have a good idea what it will take. That is one of my problems with Tate, especially at 5. He is very committed to playing 2 sports in college, has not been willing to give baseball his full attention and is going to take well over slot to sign him versus trying 2 sports.

There are WAY too many options at 5 to be thinking two guys or pick someone out of a hat. Crow (attitude aside), Matzek, Gibson, Davidson (bit of a stretch right now), and I'm sure there will be 5 other guys between now and June are all viable and worthy picks at no. 5.

Archived