Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

Great trade!  We lose Ortiz (6 years), Hall (4 or 5 years) and #34 in the draft (for his 6 seasons).  Sometimes those picks turn into Gunner (#44 in '19) but sometimes not, and typically not nearly as good as Gunnar is.  Time will tell how this works out, but adding an outstanding veteran ToR feels SO good!  Again, great trade. 😃

Edited by Greg Pappas

Just now, Tony-OH said:

These are not "red flags." His Pitching run value was 96th percentile. Even if he's "fallen" a bit since being the best pitcher in baseball for a few seasons, he was still one of teh best. Look at these numbers:

image.thumb.png.b765d4707e0f1f08e0278a43231d50e2.png

image.thumb.png.c7c673e5877cce6c23f664d2c244dd2f.png

If these are red flags, sign me up for some more red flags!

I have looked at them..but if you look at 2021 and 2022, you can see the decline.

That doesn’t mean the  numbers aren’t still excellent because they are. But less Ks, more BBs, decreasing velo, less missed bats and less strikes thrown are not things to push aside.

It’s just that they are coming down from such a high point that even if they decline, they are still really good.

55 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Mateo isn’t a bat. Urias may end up starting at 3B, at least early in the season. I just mean we have a lot of LH batters, we need some RH to balance it out. 

Why would Urias be starting? Wouldn’t it make the most sense to break camp with Holliday so that he can have the best chance to win the rookie of the year?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

One of McDermott, Povich, or Johnson is good for the 5th spot.   We’ll still have surplus to deal from in trade or more payroll ceiling to work with.   Burnes buys us a year.

This. It gives them the entire season to get the new owners acclimated and at the earliest, the trade deadline if necessary to supplement the pitching. They had to add a starter and 1 year is plenty, they have the entire season/offseason to figure out 2025.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I have looked at them..but if you look at 2021 and 2022, you can see the decline.

That doesn’t mean the  numbers aren’t still excellent because they are. But less Ks, more BBs, decreasing velo, less missed bats and less strikes thrown are not things to push aside.

It’s just that they are coming down from such a high point that even if they decline, they are still really good.

Ceases have also declined. K's 3 years in a row, pitch values garbage. I get it's only 1 year but Burnes is the better pitcher.

If the pitchers who threw 100 or more innings, the Os now have 3 of the top 12 starters in the league according to stuff+. Burnes and Bradish were 2 and 3 and Grayson 12.  If you go to qualified pitchers, Burnes was 1 and Bradish was 2.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Why would Urias be starting? Wouldn’t it make the most sense to break camp with Holliday so that he can have the best chance to win the rookie of the year?

If we lock Holliday up, which might be one of the next dominos to fall. 

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Ceases have also declined. K's 3 years in a row, pitch values garbage. I get it's only 1 year but Burnes is the better pitcher.

Agreed. And you gave up less for the one year, as you should. I would rather have Burnes and Cowser or Kjerstad than Cease.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

One of McDermott, Povich, or Johnson is good for the 5th spot.   We’ll still have surplus to deal from in trade or more payroll ceiling to work with.   Burnes buys us a year.

I’m not saying I’m worried about it now just that next year we will be potentially in the same boat we were just in. 

4 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Great trade!  We lose Ortiz (6 years), Hall (4 or 5 years) and #34 in the draft (for his 6 seasons).  Sometimes those picks turn into Gunner (#44 in '19) but sometimes not, and typically not nearly as good as Gunnar is.  Time will tell how this works out, but adding an outstanding veteran ToR feels SO good!  Again, great trade. 😃

We traded for a better chance to win a WS.

• Upvote 1

A quick note about peak male athlete age is 27/28.  No way should a team that doesn’t have unlimited resources ($) give out $30M/7+ years.   Anyone hear of a player named Chris Davis.   I know this is way different, but I look forward to Yankees to cont to pay a ton of money for non-contributing players for years to come.  This is a one year rental.  Have to give up talent to get it.  Hard part is that this is the same as saving for retirement for 40 years and now it is scary to spend it.  For 30 years we always were “taking talent back”.  Now we switch to giving away young talent.  Hard mental shift for many.  Great trade!!!  Not expecting anything more than 1 year. 

• Upvote 1