Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

The Player only has to get to 2nd to earn that 1.000 year of service, so one Evan Carter running away only reduces the risk.    Adley overtook Bobby Witt with 75% of the games, and it didn't matter he missed catching Julio to earn his credit.     

Seasons 2027 and beyond are not yet collectively bargained, and during the run of this 2022-26 CBA I think it is probably fair to say the MLBPA is paying some extra attention to the comportment of the Baltimore Orioles organization, and their treatment of Union members of rare talents in their perennially #1 farm system organization.

The Orioles have a practice baseball game with another team in 20 days for all these infielders to show their form.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Hey what I can say..I enjoy coming on here and making you look dumber than everyday society usually does.

By making a stupid statement, getting called out on it and then clumsily backtracking and starting with personal attacks?

You sure showed me.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Let’s rephrase that…One win COULD make a big difference. Saying it definitely will is not accurate.

What I would rather have is that 6 WAR 7th season.

Sure…meant 1 WAR is a big difference in value. And it can make a big difference in whether you make the playoffs. Teams spend a lot to get premium players that are 1 WAR better than more run of the mill average players. 

The Orioles could have a lot of things wrong and win 86-87 games and still be serious World Series contenders if they’re able to get in. You can have injured players who come back healthy in time for the playoffs, or just guys who have bad years who are getting things back on track at the end of the year, or run of the mill bad luck in one-run games or whatever that you don’t expect to be predictive going forward.

The Padres were an extreme example of that type of mid-80s win team just last season that would have been one of the best NL teams in the playoffs if they snuck in. And the Diamondbacks another extreme example of how it’s just very valuable to be able to punch your ticket to the dance regardless of how many regular season wins you end up with. 

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've never had to assume a new name to rejoin an online community that kicked me out.

What was the new name/old name.  Was he ever anything other than SportsGuy?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

If you don’t extend him and start him on OD, I’m keeping him down until early to mid June…miss super 2 and he may not accumulate enough time to where he would win CY.  Going to be tough to beat out Carter anyway.

Im willing to win one less game to do that.

Weren't you the one ripping the FO for starting Grayson in the minors last year for service time reasons?

15 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Weren't you the one ripping the FO for starting Grayson in the minors last year for service time reasons?

No, not after his spring.  That said, I would have ripped them had he had a good spring and sent him down to game service time.

For the most part, I would not play the service time game (especially for pitchers) but there are a few guys that come along that are exceptions to the rule, especially when those guys have Boras as their agent.

I would rather have a full season of play from him in 2030 than 150-200 at bats in 2024. 

Again, if you extend him, even better but I tend to doubt that happens until we start seeing them do it.

Edited by Sports Guy

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nope, that was me.

SportsGuy is always in favor of screwing someone over.

I mean it's just smart business. A no-brainer, honestly. A whole year of service is worth more than one month.

Now if Holliday has to wait for June to reach that point, then I'd definitely consider it with the new ROY draft pick rules.

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

What if he doesn't get hurt? Or what if he doesn't get hurt until July/August/September? 

We have Burnes for this one season right now, how does it make any sense to hold Holliday down in the minor leagues (for no legitimate reason) just so we can keep a borderline averagish player like Urias? That jives with 2022 logic but in 24 when you are trying to legit compete for a World Series that makes no sense.

You and I agree on how things should be handled. I was just stating what I think is going to happen.

I want Mayo and Holliday on the OD roster because I believe their both ready and I want to that initial adjustment period over with as soon as possible because once they get over that period, theyre going to be better than Mateo, certainly, and Urias most likely.

I want one of these 2 dudes to pull an Evan Carter in the playoffs for the O's. Get them ready!

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No, not after his spring.  That said, I would have ripped them had he had a good spring and sent him down to game service time.

For the most part, I would not play the service time game (especially for pitchers) but there are a few guys that come along that are exceptions to the rule, especially when those guys have Boras as their agent.

I would rather have a full season of play from him in 2030 than 150-200 at bats in 2024. 

Again, if you extend him, even better but I tend to doubt that happens until we start seeing them do it.

Fair enough.

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I mean it's just smart business. A no-brainer, honestly. A whole year of service is worth more than one month.

Now if Holliday has to wait for June to reach that point, then I'd definitely consider it with the new ROY draft pick rules.

It's not smart business, extending them is smart business.