Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

50 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

At what point do we start to get a little nervous?  We are about 2 weeks from opening day and our top pitching signees both have ERAs in the 9s through the spring and are getting shelled.   Anything to worry about here?

This is the point where I get “a little nervous.”   He’s only going to have one more outing before Opening Day and I’d like to see him a bit sharper by now.  But am I “worried?”  No.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

This is the point where I get “a little nervous.”   He’s only going to have one more outing before Opening Day and I’d like to see him a bit sharper by now.  But am I “worried?”  No.

Maybe he’s just doing a spring training baseball rope a dope.  

19 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Maybe he’s just doing a spring training baseball rope a dope.  

Hopefully.  “Working on stuff.”   I’ve seen a zillion examples of pitchers who weren’t impressive in spring training and then came roaring out of the gates when the season began.  That’s why “a little nervous” applies but “worried” doesn’t.  

I do not care about spring training. At all. 

The only thing that matters is that guys are healthy and get through it injury free. 

Burnes is a professional and by all accounts a hard worker and dedicated to his craft. I’m sure he’ll be ready to go. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, oriole said:

At seasons end, Burnes won’t have a 9+ ERA and Urias won’t be OPSing over 1. It’s just spring training.

Exactly. Should we got ahead and slot Mateo at SS since he’s OPSing .915? 

2 hours ago, IllinoisOsFan said:

Only having to go back 34 years for some reassurance makes me feel better.

Cool. So you’re one of those that for whatever reason, gets unnecessarily worried about ST numbers?

I only picked this example because it’s one I always have remembered. There are countless examples, including several good ones from recent years. I’m sure you know that. Maybe you don’t. 

Anyway, Burnes is fine. Noting to worry about.