Roster implications for trading Ortiz

ChuckS

Given that he was likely to make the team out of spring training if he had remained with club, this would seem to open up an opportunity for another infielder.

Mayo or Holliday seemed like a long shot to break with the big league club before, but this move makes it much more likely IMO.

I think it will be Mayo and I think we will see him primarily at 3B with some 1B and DH mixed in. At least to start the season. 

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

There aren’t implications. He didn’t have a future here and neither does Norby. 

Ortiz would have been in the mix for a roster spot had he not been traded. I’m not sure how you can speak in such absolutes, since roster moves and configuration are fluid. 

Edited by ChuckS

The expectation was that he would make the team but the Orioles are still fine without him. possible scenarios:

3B: Westburg
SS: Gunnar
2B: Urias
UTL: Mateo

3B: Mayo
2B: Westburg

2B: Holliday
Utl: Mateo

2B: Norby

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The expectation was that he would make the team but the Orioles are still fine without him. possible scenarios:

No chance of Holliday as the main SS? I personally like Gunnar at 3rd and Westburg at 2nd more than I like Gunnar at SS and Westburg at 3rd. 

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Ortiz would have been in the mix for a roster spot had he not been traded. I’m not sure how you can speak in such absolutes, since roster moves and configuration are fluid. 

Hard to see him on the team without an injury when we have Westburg, Gunnar, RMC, Holliday, and Urias. 

7 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Hard to see him on the team without an injury when we have Westburg, Gunnar, RMC, Holliday, and Urias. 

So you are certain Holliday makes the team out of spring training?

4 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

No chance of Holliday as the main SS? I personally like Gunnar at 3rd and Westburg at 2nd more than I like Gunnar at SS and Westburg at 3rd. 

Not unless Gunnar’s defense falls off of a cliff and Holliday’s defense improves considerably. 

With Joey’s departure, Gunnar elevates to their best defensive option..even with Jorge still in the org. Gunnar’s improved consistency was (for me, admittedly) unexpected but one of the most important developments of their season in 23.

Management has demonstrated numerous times now that they prefer to stagger major league promotions. This tells me that they’re going to give both Mayo and Holliday a real shot to make the OD roster, which only makes sense if one can earn a starting role. My money is on Mayo to begin the year as the 3B. 

Prior to this trade Holiday was 3rd or 4th in line for at bats at SS this year and looked more like the O's future 2nd baseman.  After trading Ortiz, Holiday atleast re-enters the SS conversation. 

Mateo is a now a more valuable Utility player simply by playing excellent defense at SS and CF, and being able to hit tough lefties and pinch run late in games. 

Edited by Os Fever
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Not unless Gunnar’s defense falls off of a cliff and Holliday’s defense improves considerably. 

With Joey’s departure, Gunnar elevates to their best defensive option..even with Jorge still in the org. Gunnar’s improved consistency was (for me, admittedly) unexpected but one of the most important developments of their season in 23.

Management has demonstrated numerous times now that they prefer to stagger major league promotions. This tells me that they’re going to give both Mayo and Holliday a real shot to make the OD roster, which only makes sense if one can earn a starting role. My money is on Mayo to begin the year as the 3B. 

If you commit to Mayo at 3rd then you are committing to Holliday at 2nd. Gunnar is playing somewhere on the left side. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Presuming Holliday makes the OD roster, I’m still sticking with option 3 being the primary IF lineup we’ll see on the field in ‘24. 

I’m also working under the assumption Mayo doesn’t break camp with the team. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If you commit to Mayo at 3rd then you are committing to Holliday at 2nd. Gunnar is playing somewhere on the left side. 

I don’t think you have to commit to any of them at just one position, although I see Gunnar playing SS nearly everyday.

Westburg and Mayo will be moved around and Holliday could be too. Elias is big on versatility. 

Edited by ChuckS

2 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Presuming Holliday makes the OD roster, I’m still sticking with option 3 being the primary IF lineup we’ll see on the field in ‘24. 

I’m also working under the assumption Mayo doesn’t break camp with the team. 

You would presume they would skip Holliday, the younger and less experienced prospect, over Mayo?

It’s possible, but would seem to be the less likely scenario to me. 

18 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

So you are certain Holliday makes the team out of spring training?

I think he will, but if he doesn't, I don't see him spending much time in AAA. 

Either way, Ortiz was blocked long term. He had to be dealt.