All the talk about Cowser and Kjerstad…but what about Stowers?

Sports Guy

18 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

Was last year the first year they banned the shift? I vaguely remember reading an article where the author predicted which players would see the most positive regression due to the elimination of the shift and O'Hearn was near the top. That could certainly play a part in his late blooming. 

Well there’s this article from last ST.

https://www.mlb.com/news/ryan-o-hearn-benefitting-from-new-shift-restrictions?partnerID=web_article-share

• Thanks 1

Just looking at Stowers splits, I think the Orioles would should think of him as a batter to face left handed pitchers, because he has reverse splits. He's terrible against right handers, but he's amazing against left handers. So for simplicity sake, Brandon Hyde or whoever makes the lineups should consider him an imaginary right handed bat to matchup against lefties.

He's not your traditional left hander. He has reverse splits.

13 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Just looking at Stowers splits, I think the Orioles would should think of him as a batter to face left handed pitchers, because he has reverse splits. He's terrible against right handers, but he's amazing against left handers. So for simplicity sake, Brandon Hyde or whoever makes the lineups should consider him an imaginary right handed bat to matchup against lefties.

He's not your traditional left hander. He has reverse splits.

I wouldn’t call him a reverse splits guy yet.   He only has 7 ML AB against LHP.  In 2022 he was good against RHP and great against LHP.  Last year in AAA he was 100 points better (over .900) against RHP.   One thing seems fair to say.  He can hit lefties.

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

A simple glance at Baseball Reference would have clarified "adequate" for you. He didn't kick around the diamond. Only 2 errors in 499 chances at 1B.

Not really sure where O’Hearn’s defensive metrics are, but I don’t think fielding % is that valuable of one for a 1B.

Seems like most of their defensive value comes from saving other guys from errors.

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Not really sure where O’Hearn’s defensive metrics are, but I don’t think fielding % is that valuable of one for a 1B.

Seems like most of their defensive value comes from saving other guys from errors.

And isn't that OK? I'm not a stathead by any means. But I would think that it isn't a stretch to say that O'Hearn is likely to provide better defense at 1B than Santander, Kjerstad or Mayo. Don't you think?

15 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

And isn't that OK? I'm not a stathead by any means. But I would think that it isn't a stretch to say that O'Hearn is likely to provide better defense at 1B than Santander, Kjerstad or Mayo. Don't you think?

I don’t know. It’s the only position on the field that our primary 1B could play. I’m sure other guys could pick up the position. Definitely a bat first spot. 
That said, as much as we want to get our prospects AB’s, O’Hearn’s performance last season earned his way back on the team. 

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I don’t know. It’s the only position on the field that our primary 1B could play. I’m sure other guys could pick up the position. Definitely a bat first spot. 
That said, as much as we want to get our prospects AB’s, O’Hearn’s performance last season earned his way back on the team. 

I think we are saying the same thing? I want to figure out how to get Kjerstad and Mayo rolling, but not at the expense of the overall team defense

5 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I think we are saying the same thing? I want to figure out how to get Kjerstad and Mayo rolling, but not at the expense of the overall team defense

No. I’m saying that 1B is a bat first position that just about any major leaguer could adapt to. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

We're in the Cowser/Kjerstad/Stowers thread, big hoss.

The video within that tweet contains a very detailed answer from Hyde on Stowers so far this ST.  The Stowers talk starts at 0:33 into the video.  

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 2