Hays Interested in Extension

Bird Lady

Extending Hayes a couple years wouldn't be a bad thing.  It allows the youngsters develop a little more and for them to overtake him if they can.  If they can, we wind up in the Mateo/Urias situation we have in the IF but in the OF and somebody is either traded or extended from there.  But Hayes is a quality guy and player and as someone above said, it's nice to have someone wanting to stay on for once.

Hays is one of those players that has never really put it all together for a couple consecutive seasons. And I have the feeling he will. But somewhere else. I think the real player is the .800 OPS player we see from time to time, and not the .700

I can't help but think he throws himself around enough on defense, that he occasionally pulls some ribs or some other nagging thing that screws his swing, but not enough to pull him cuz he plays through it.

So he's good for a couple month long slumps per otherwise pretty great season. Gotta think he'll put together the complete season or two at some point. And if so, would probably be the team's best outfielder, rookies on the brink included...  And as I said, I think it will happen. But probably not here.

6 minutes ago, owknows said:

Hays is one of those players that has never really put it all together for a couple consecutive seasons. And I have the feeling he will. But somewhere else. I think the real player is the .800 OPS player we see from time to time, and not the .700

I can't help but think he throws himself around enough on defense, that he occasionally pulls some ribs or some other nagging thing that screws his swing, but not enough to pull him cuz he plays through it.

So he's good for a couple month long slumps per otherwise pretty great season. Gotta think he'll put together the complete season or two at some point. And if so, would probably be the team's best outfielder, rookies on the brink included...  And as I said, I think it will happen. But probably not here.

I think it could happen when his workload is lightened this season with the presence of Cowser. He should be able to stay fresher with more days off.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

So would you be in favor of trading Jackson Holliday because we've got Urias and Westburg holding it down or is that not a good idea.

No. Although it's totally possible that Westburg could have a netter career than Holliday. No one can see into the future. Like I said you can never have too many good players. Having insurance is wise, in order to lessen the impact of a rookie's learning curve & adjustment period if there is one.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s also exactly the type of guy you don’t pay arb 2(depending on cost) And especially arb 3 money to.  He is the type of guy you should be able to produce and get similar production for a fraction of that cost.

The Os don’t have the luxury of spending a lot of money on a guy like Hays. I don’t mind this year’s salary but it’s borderline imo. 2025? An extension?  Shouldn’t even be a consideration.

I don't disagree. 

11 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I think it could happen when his workload is lightened this season with the presence of Cowser. He should be able to stay fresher with more days off.

I wonder how Hays would have done with the Ray’s, verses the Orioles, historically? They would probably ride all the benefits and rotate platoons and provide better development from the start of his career.

A lot of posters, including myself, voted Hays as the having the most likely surprise breakout season in 2023, per @frobby s poll last offseason.

He did to start the year off wonderfully and the best may yet to come in the prime years!

47 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

No. Although it's totally possible that Westburg could have a netter career than Holliday. No one can see into the future. Like I said you can never have too many good players. Having insurance is wise, in order to lessen the impact of a rookie's learning curve & adjustment period if there is one.

So it’s okay to keep Holliday because he could have a bright future but not trade Hays and his 107 OPS+ because there’s too much risk in replacing him?