2024 Minor League Coaching Staffs announced

Tony-OH

Glad to see Buck Britton return. He seems to be a really good manager and evaluator of talent. I would not be surprised if he's not eventually given a shot at a big league job by either the orioles or somebody one day.

• Upvote 1

I saw Melewski called out George Bell's son on one of the complex staffs.

I didn't have in active memory we've had Felipe Alou's kid on staff forever, but I think that must be him.   

Many Bats who played mostly the 60's - its hard to appreciate how good they were from the baseball card numbers.

1958-1972 - fWAR gives Felipe Alou, Sr. about 40 WAR, and rates him 27th of all MLB Bats

2009-2023 - the 26/27/28 Bats are Nelson Cruz, Ian Kinsler and Xander Bogaerts.

There were a fair number of changes.  In particular, Bowie 2023 manager Kyle Moore appears to have left the organization and every coach from last year’s staff is elsewhere in the organization this year.   Robert Mercado and his entire staff moved up a level from Aberdeen to Bowie. 

As an aside, the O’s just have a ton of coordinators and similar positions now. Each team has a manager and four coaches.  There’s just a ton more personnel in the player development department than there used to be   

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

There were a fair number of changes.  In particular, Bowie 2023 manager Kyle Moore appears to have left the organization and every coach from last year’s staff is elsewhere in the organization this year.   Robert Mercado and his entire staff moved up a level from Aberdeen to Bowie. 

As an aside, the O’s just have a ton of coordinators and similar positions now. Each team has a manager and four coaches.  There’s just a ton more personnel in the player development department than there used to be   

It’s all about translating the data to a palatable version for the players to absorb/digest.  “Conduits” of information and improvement best practices & efficiencies for every aspect of the game.  Crazy how organizations have completely transformed in the last 5-10 years.  But it makes sense, the players are the biggest assets to the org so an investment in that asset pays dividends.  It’s a lot cheaper than going out and buying the talent at market price.  I

IMG_1943.jpeg

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

@emmett16 (or anyone) - Since Mike Fast is quoted in the screenshots...  Do you happen to know if Alex Fast (former Pitcher List guy) is related to Mike Fast (for Houston/current Atlanta guy)?  Father/son?  

Not sure.  Tried the google machine but couldn't find anything.  Nothing was mentioned in the book.  It wouldn't suprise me if that was the case, though. 

About 6 months back Alex Fast posted on his X he joined MLB Network as Director of Product and Content Strategy.

I got to meet Nick Pollack briefly at First Pitch Arizona, and he even mentioned Alex when Orioles fandom came up, but I wasn't connecting that many dots then.

Evan Drellich spends some pages in Winning Fixes Everything describing some of the Mike Fast-Sig Mejdal differences as the Astros kept pushing the frontier before Mike joined the Braves and Sig followed Elias here.

I think Sig Mejdal and Mike Fast are probably both scientific method oriented enough they can acknowledge different tastes more so than perhaps Alex Bregman and Corey Seager trading I Guess We'll Never Know taunts back and forth as the 2023 AL West and World Series championships got sorted out.

We can use a few BAL-ATL World Series to frustrate the Dodgers and so those wonks can really stress test the results of their processes.

• 3 weeks later...