Tim Kurkjian on 105.7

sportsfan8703

Kurkjian was on 105.7 yesterday around 4pm. Here’s some of what he said,

- Hyde said we needed those 6 days off before the Rangers series because we were so banged up. 

- For 2024, Burnes was the best pitching move. Even better than Yamamota. 

- Burnes throws a 97 mph cutter. (Not quite a 99 mph sinker).

- So dominant at times that he began a season with 40Ks before his first BB. 

- Woodruff could be pitching by August of this year.

- Compared Holliday right now to when he saw Jeter, and Nomar, right before they were called up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Woodruff would be amazing but I can’t remember the Orioles ever committing significant money to an injured pitcher, or even a healthy pitcher with a bad injury history. Even Elias has gone exclusively for the super durable types - Lyles, Gibson, Irvin, Burnes. Woodruff would be a big departure, especially considering how much more willing big market teams tend to be to throw some money on injured lottery tickets, but a welcome one. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Woodruff would be amazing but I can’t remember the Orioles ever committing significant money to an injured pitcher, or even a healthy pitcher with a bad injury history. Even Elias has gone exclusively for the super durable types - Lyles, Gibson, Irvin, Burnes. Woodruff would be a big departure, especially considering how much more willing big market teams tend to be to throw some money on injured lottery tickets, but a welcome one. 

Would it need to be "significant" money?   Could we get him on a 2/18 type of deal with incentives?   Pay him 4 million this year, with incentives on IP.  Do the same for next year at 14 or 15 with the same incentive.   Give him 500k for every 50 IP...or something along those lines.

Love Tim. Ran into him in Cooperstown when Cal was being inducted. The power went off in the town and there was a pizza place with gas grill serving everyone. He was in line with us. He's as short as rumored but very nice. Talked to us for a few minutes.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Would it need to be "significant" money?   Could we get him on a 2/18 type of deal with incentives?   Pay him 4 million this year, with incentives on IP.  Do the same for next year at 14 or 15 with the same incentive.   Give him 500k for every 50 IP...or something along those lines.

I think that’s the type of deal he’ll get and it’s well worth the risk IMO, but I don’t think the Orioles have done more than like minor league contracts or small guaranteed money for injured/poor health history pitchers. They haven’t really signed many of them at all to any type of deal, even before Elias when they spent more money. I can’t remember a single deal like the one Woodruff will get. 

31 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I met Tim after he gave a talk at his alma mater University of Maryland.  Don't know anyone with a bad thing to say about him.

He's just great. 

I love Tim. I met him at Dempsey's (now called Superbook) after the Orioles lost Game 1 of the 2014 ALCS to the Royals. I mentioned that I was doing some sports writing at the time, and asked him if he would be willing to do an interview with me about the Orioles during the offseason. He graciously agreed and gave me his contact info. The transcribed interview was published by Tony here on Orioles Hangout, although the article may no longer be up. Tim Kirkjian is pure class.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Elias is a portfolio style investor.  Each investment has a role to play.  To get to the point, he’s got the IP risk metric covered for 2024.  If he wants to chase a yield, he can add risk.

But Woodruff feels like a 2025 investment play.  So the efficient frontier (risk/return) shifts around a bit with different time horizons in the rotation (no Burnes or Means).

Couldn’t we just give Woodruff a 1 year deal for $4 million and if he looks good in August/September give him a QO?  Why guarantee him the 2nd year, unless that’s what he wants. The general consensus here is that he’s out all year in 2024. Kurkjian was the first I heard that said August was even possible.