Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agreed.  He’s impacting the ball more like last April when he does get a mistake.   He’s also done a better job of staying on the outside fastball.   As I’ve said before, he’ll never be a good hitter, but when he’s going good at least he’s a threat.   Combined with his other attributes that’s got value.

If he stays right where he is right now hitting .245, he has very nice value. On pace for a 3-4 war season. As a secondary piece, that’s huge.

What he's been able to do at the plate has been a nice pick-me-up for the a team that has had multiple hitters struggling at the same time. For me though, watching how he's handled 2B this season has been a treat. The tag on the SB attempt last night was a play that not all 2B make. 

There's been times I would have traded or released him for nothing, but right now I'm really glad he's still here.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

What he's been able to do at the plate has been a nice pick-me-up for the a team that has had multiple hitters struggling at the same time. For me though, watching how he's handled 2B this season has been a treat. The tag on the SB attempt last night was a play that not all 2B make. 

There's been times I would have traded or released him for nothing, but right now I'm really glad he's still here.

100% on the 2B defense. He has been outstanding, particularly ranging to his left (1B hole) and unleashing his arm on double plays. 

2 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

If you execute your slider, you are in good shape against Mateo.

If you hang your slider, RIP.

He is getting much better at laying off pitches outside the zone.  At 32.9% chase rate he’s still worse than average, but way better than last year’s 36.1% or 2022’s 39.4%.  He laid off a few tempting ones last night.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He is getting much better at laying off pitches outside the zone.  At 32.9% chase rate he’s still worse than average, but way better than last year’s 36.1% or 2022’s 39.4%.  He laid off a few tempting ones last night.  

And it really goes hand in hand. He is hanging in there more this year in ABs, getting into deeper counts so he gets a chance to hit some mistakes. That AB last night was the perfect example of it. If my memory serves he laid off one, and fouled off one prior to the hanger.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think more significant is his whiff rate, which went from 30.9% to 20.2%  between 2022- today, or 12th to 73rd percentile.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

in reality, He's been a very pleasant surprise, but I'm reluctant to rave ...because when I rave on somebody on this team, 3 for 40 is on its way...

You’re learning.   Just say really negative stuff about the guys who aren’t doing well.

• Upvote 1

Mateo has an open stance at the plate and also stands back from the plate. Hence, he is very susceptible to the  slider or sweeper off the plate. I was expecting a strike out last night with runners on first and third. In fact, he had two swings and misses at outside breaking pitches during that at bat. But, the pitcher threw one that was in the wrong place and Mateo ripped it. He is doing a good job of staying on those pitches he can handle. And, as stated above, not quite as prone to wave at outside breaking stuff. He is fun to watch.

Never a doubt. 😉

I have been one of his bigger fans, yet I cannot help but remember how bad he was after May 1 in 2023. Playing everyday has helped him. Realizing his role and having to make adjustments has helped him immensely, so it seems. I just hope he can continue with his approach and make adjustments when needed. 

Honestly, I’m not sure why any pitcher would throw anything inside over the plate. They do him a favor, specifically any breaking ball. He’s not pulling off as much as last year, and not chasing, or whiffing as much. He has driven some balls to RF, but I’d rather that than what he can do with the inside pitch. Particularly when they hang one. 

40 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Never a doubt. 😉

I have been one of his bigger fans, yet I cannot help but remember how bad he was after May 1 in 2023. Playing everyday has helped him. Realizing his role and having to make adjustments has helped him immensely, so it seems. I just hope he can continue with his approach and make adjustments when needed. 

Honestly, I’m not sure why any pitcher would throw anything inside over the plate. They do him a favor, specifically any breaking ball. He’s not pulling off as much as last year, and not chasing, or whiffing as much. He has driven some balls to RF, but I’d rather that than what he can do with the inside pitch. Particularly when they hang one. 

As he has played everyday, his stats have gotten worse. He is playing too much.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As he has played everyday, his stats have gotten worse. He is playing too much.

You can say that about several guys like O'Hearn and Cowser, etc.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Malike said:

You can say that about several guys like O'Hearn and Cowser, etc.

Cowser is borderline although I do think he should sit vs some lefties.  His at bats are still excellent and his statcast numbers are great. He is hitting into a ton of bad luck.

Agree about OHearn but I would still make sure he plays vs most righties.

Edited by Sports Guy