Draft Prediction 2009

Any chance Tate is the next Heyward?

No, but only because Heyward dropped way below where he should have gone in 2007. I don't see any way Tate drops out of the top 10, and with his start this year (his swing looks LEGIT) I'm starting to think it could be an upset to see him out of the top 5.

My gut feeling is that Strasburg, White, Green, and and Ackley are gone by the 5th pick and that the Orioles are going to select either Crow or Gibson.

One thing though.. I have a feeling that Boras and Strasburg are going ask for the moon ($20 to $30 million, maybe even higher). If that happens, I would not be surprised if he falls to us. I don't see any of the 4 teams ahead of us spending THAT much money on one draft pick. The question would be, if this impossible scenario plays out, would the Orioles FO let him slip by?

You take the best available if you are the Orioles, no matter what the cost. They need to continue to invest in the draft. Plus you factor in the amount coming off the payroll for 2010 (Huff, Gibbons, Mora, Baez, and Walker) With that said yes you take Stasburg at 5.

I understand all Washington (Sign two first rounds), Pittsburgh (Small market), San Diego (bankrupt from divorce) and Seattle(sign two first rounds) passing. Maybe there could be a miracle.

BA article today says Matzek is not showing his normal strong control and may be slipping in the draft - albeit from a high position.

I saw Matzek at the end of the summer and he threw several CH. He also threw them in the fall at the Metrodome showcase. I'm not really sure what to make of the comments from those scouts.

Not saying this is necessarily a case of it, but it's worth keeping in mind that when scouts are speaking to national publications, there is sometimes some gamesmanship involved.

Archived