Wash picks Patrick Sandoval for Opening Day

Just Regular

5 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

My dream scenario... Urias and Mateo are traded/released and...

Henderson SS

Rutschman C

Mountcastle 1B

Santander DH

Hays LF

Holliday 2B

Mayo 3B

Cowser RF

Westburg 3B

Henderson SS

Rutschman C

Mountcastle 1B

Santander DH

Hays LF

Holliday 2B

Mullins CF

Westburg 3B

Cowser RF

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Gunnar batting 5th and moved over to 3B, where he hasn't played all spring.

Nice

Gunnar was typically hitting 5th/6th against lefties towards the end of last year, and he hit 5th and 4th in the two ALDS games against lefties. Not sure that's the plan again, but it doesn't seem unreasonable. 

I didn't know he hasn't played 3b in the spring. That might say something about the team's plans (including-- preparing for Holliday on the team). Though if Mateo is on the roster I'm sure Gunnar will continue to see at least a bit of 3b time. 

14 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

They noticed how bad our offense struggled vs left handers (I.E. Montgomery, Rom, etc) in Camden Yards at the end of last season and figure it will give them an advantage. It's all bout the wall and our left handed heavy lineup.

I think it's just about the Angels having three lefties in their rotation.

• Upvote 1

Their #3 SP is also a lefty. I would not be surprised to see Nevin and/or McKenna make the roster for that first series. 

We could go with a 7 man bullpen, and/or option Wells until we need him game 4 or 5. 

Why not matchup?  Every game matters.

Mayo???

Edited by sportsfan8703

40 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Play to win the game - Herm

1. Hays LF R

2. Adley C S

3. Santa RF S

4. Mounty 1B R

5. Westburg 2B R

6. Gunnar 3B L

7. Nevin/McCann DH R

8. McKenna CF R

9. Mateo SS R

If not Nevin then Adley prolly should DH. 

Play to win the game,  yet have a lineup with Nevin, McKenna AND Mateo?!?!?!

image.png.de4e1be7ec4cf989bd76da52d2791a21.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I think we are overthinking the lefty starter thing. Certainly don't need to be benching Mullins and Gunnar or whatever. 

Adley - C
Gunnar - SS
Mountcastle - 1B
Santander - RF
Hays - LF
Mullins - CF
Urias - 3B
Westburg - DH
Holliday - 2B

And then when we pound this guy into sand inside of 3 innings we'll have some lefties in our lineup ready to go for their bullpen. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Play to win the game,  yet have a lineup with Nevin, McKenna AND Mateo?!?!?!

image.png.de4e1be7ec4cf989bd76da52d2791a21.png

We have the flexibility for the first series to sort of use and cut loose some RH bats.  Definitely overthinking, but I'm just itching for some baseball and Ws.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, interloper said:

I think we are overthinking the lefty starter thing. Certainly don't need to be benching Mullins and Gunnar or whatever. 

I agree with this take to some extent, but I think the overthinking is a result of all the times we saw McKenna and company last year against LHPs. I do have concerns we are so left-handed heavy with how that impacts us against the best lefties. Fortunately, I don't put Sandoval in that category. 

I so think Mateo has a shot to start given he's looked pretty good this spring, was much better against LHP last year and was good early in the season last year. I hope we don't see Urias as a starter on opening day. I like the guy well enough, but I hope he's dealt. He's also not great against LHP so if we are going to bench a LHH, I would at least want it to be for someone that hits LHP well. 

5 hours ago, interloper said:

Adley - C
Gunnar - SS
Mountcastle - 1B
Santander - RF
Hays - LF
Mullins - CF
Urias - 3B
Westburg - DH
Holliday - 2B

And then when we pound this guy into sand inside of 3 innings we'll have some lefties in our lineup ready to go for their bullpen. 

Great lineup! (Assuming Holliday makes it). If not, Westburg 2B, Cowser, RF, Santander DH?