Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

16 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I am not going to be an internet stool pigeon and look up your prior posts, but I know exactly what you were saying in your posts in April and May.

And again, even if you think those numbers above are good?   They are nothing special.   So not only did you double down with your 800 pound number, but then you have tripled down with thinking those above numbers mean anything.

Not trying to be a **** to you but you have NO idea what lifting numbers mean.  As a 20 year old kid, getting top notch advice....if he didn't BP 300, squat 350, and DL 400?  He is way behind the curve.

I have done a 450 BP, a 520 squat, and a 600 DL and I am wayyyyy older than him.   And not a pro baseball player.   I realize that his numbers may seem high to you?  But trust me to an athlete these days?  They are nothing. 

Anthony Richardson for example, a NFL quarterback, can squat 500 and deadlift 640.   And he is what...a year older than JH?

Stop making JH out to be this super elite athlete.  He just isn't. 

This has to be one of the funniest posts in the entire thread, maybe of all time.

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This has to be one of the funniest posts in the entire thread, maybe of all time.

I missed the humor.  Even if you are laughing at the post it doesn’t come close to a lot of his other posts.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I missed the humor.  Even if you are laughing at the post it doesn’t come close to a lot of his other posts.

Yeah, there's a lot to pick from.  

The idea that you have to be good at weightlifting to be considered a good athlete is so boneheaded and ridiculous though, as if that's the only metric that counts.  Coming from a guy who brags about playing a game where you don't have to be able to bench press a Buick in order to knock down some pins, lol.  The absurdity of the whole thing was hysterical to me.

17 hours ago, e16bball said:

Tiger Woods, of course, standing as an excellent example of a guy who was precociously skilled at a sport at a very young age (because his dad made him play) but never quite got there as a pro.

There’s some merit to what you’re referencing here. I would absolutely buy that his lifelong exposure to baseball is a significant factor in his success at a young age. But I think that type of thing is far more applicable when evaluating youth or high school, maybe college level players. At lower levels and younger ages, I suspect extreme advantages in experience, practice time, and hands-on coaching can absolutely give a less talented kid a leg up.

However, I think there’s a ceiling for how far a ho-hum kid can go on the back of force-fed baseball obsession — and I’m pretty sure that ceiling is a lot lower than “excellent hitter at AAA at age 20.“ I think you have to have the goods to reach that level, no matter how much baseball your daddy exposed you to as a kid.

Ceiling-wise, as I’ve said, I do think he’s probably lower than some of these absolute tool demons like Gunnar and Witt and Acuna. I would not trade Gunnar for him, for example. But lots of these guys I’ve compared him to as 2Bs (Cano, Utley, Altuve, Pedroia, Kinsler) were not super tooled-up guys, and they’re all among the 25-50 most valuable players of the last 25 years or so. I don’t know that you have to be a Greek god to be a perennial All-Star type player, at least at that particular position.

So you're saying you wouldn't trade a 22 yr old MVP candidate for a 20 year old in AAA?*

Even in comparing Gunnar and Jackson's age 20 seasons, there's really no comparison: Gunnar had a .775 OPS in 289 PA at A+ and a .561 OPS in 17 PA at AA after dominating A ball (.944 in 157 PA).** Jackson had already had a superior OPS at AAA to Gunner's at A+ in his age 19 season. In his age 20 season he has a .100+ better OPS than Jackson had at the same age at A+. 

*Don't frame it this way to be snarky, as I agree with you and think your post offers valuable context--only thing I disagree with is, again, looking at the statistics, I just think we're all way too prone to recency bias with Jackson, at age 20 (how would Gunnar have done at the MLB level at age 20--should we look at Gunnar's 17 PA with a .561 OPS at AA that much different than Jackson's cup of coffee at the MLB level, in retrospect?), I wouldn't even get into conversations about limiting his ceiling--just framing it this way to point out that of course, we always take the proven, demonstrated asset over the potential, especially if he is already an MVP candidate at 22. 

**Should note that Gunnar lost his age 19 season to COVID, which is obviously relevant to his development and this conversation. Still, I think the context is still useful. I guess?? you could compare Gunnar's age 21 season to Jackson's age 20, given the COVID thing? (though think biological age is still pretty relevant given physical maturation process, no?). In that case Gunnar has similar numbers to Jackson at AAA in his age 21 season and succeeded later on in the season at the MLB level. COVID kinda muddies the water with this comparison, in fairness.  

Edited by Flash- bd