Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

We just swept the Red Sox even with Holliday going hitless for two games. I think he and the Orioles will be just fine. 

Right now he's hitting everything on the ground and pretty softly, but he will make adjustments. 

3 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

Can Jackson PLEASE stop soft tossing throws to first on routine ground balls?? It's like he's throwing change ups to Mounty. The hitters have come close to beating a few times. He certainly must have shown more when he played shortstop.

I feel the same way.  

3 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

Can Jackson PLEASE stop soft tossing throws to first on routine ground balls?? It's like he's throwing change ups to Mounty. The hitters have come close to beating a few times. He certainly must have shown more when he played shortstop.

Came to say this too.  He doesn't have to throw them hard, but pushed throws can get wild.

I liked his hustle getting down the line on the pop-up,  but would have liked to have seen a better attempt at the catch.  It would have been a tough play regardless.

Some good takes at the plate last night.  Would have liked to see him more aggressive swinging earlier in the count, but he knows what he's doing more than I do.

Just now, btdart20 said:

Came to say this too.  He doesn't have to throw them hard, but pushed throws can get wild.

I liked his hustle getting down the line on the pop-up,  but would have liked to have seen a better attempt at the catch.  It would have been a tough play regardless.

Some good takes at the plate last night.  Would have liked to see him more aggressive swinging earlier in the count, but he knows what he's doing more than I do.

Last time up Jansen painted the outside corner with cutters on the first two pitches.  I thought it was a pretty decent AB.   He didn’t really get anything good to hit there.   He looks tense to me in the field and at bat.   That would be pretty normal.  Maybe he is human?    Lol

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Last time up Jansen painted the outside corner with cutters on the first two pitches.  I thought it was a pretty decent AB.   He didn’t really get anything good to hit there.   He looks tense to me in the field and at bat.   That would be pretty normal.  Maybe he is human?    Lol

Yeah they pitched him pretty tough honestly. Tougher than they did Cowser anyway. I didn't see a lot of "oh man I wish he had another rip at that pitch" type of pitches. Janssen is a future HoF, probably. The Sox RH SP are super tough right now, too. Won't get easier for him tonight, either. Just gonna have to grind through it for awhile. 

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agreed.  We're on the same page.  BoSox pitchers made some really good pitches early in counts to get ahead.  Holliday had some really good takes after getting behind.

Others have posted and McDonald said it a few times, Boston is leading the charge of countering the FB hunting trend.  Holliday had some quality PAs all things considered. 

Just now, btdart20 said:

Agreed.  We're on the same page.  BoSox pitchers made some really good pitches early in counts to get ahead.  Holliday had some really good takes after getting behind.

Others have posted and McDonald said it a few times, Boston is leading the charge of countering the FB hunting trend.  Holliday had some quality PAs all things considered. 

12% fastballs on the season as a staff is absolutely insane. It's working for their starters for sure, but I wonder at what cost down the line. They already lost Giolito and Pivetta. Will it contribute to more injuries? No way to know, really, but something to keep an eye on. 

Is it me or does he seem to have been double-clutching his throws? Other than the shotput throw, it seems like he's been cocking his arm back, holding it, then throwing. He almost got beat on a couple of grounders that were a lot closer than they should have probably been.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Is it me or does he seem to have been double-clutching his throws? Other than the shotput throw, it seems like he's been cocking his arm back, holding it, then throwing. He almost got beat on a couple of grounders that were a lot closer than they should have probably been.

I think he almost dropped a couple - one the ball straight up slipped out of his hand, the other I think the same thing happened and he just kind of palmed it over there. Both ended in outs, so I was just chalking it up to a wet, cold ball.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

I think he almost dropped a couple - one the ball straight up slipped out of his hand, the other I think the same thing happened and he just kind of palmed it over there. Both ended in outs, so I was just chalking it up to a wet, cold ball.

Ah makes sense, I was working so not paying complete attention. Just thought it seemed like he was cocking back, pausing then throwing. That would explain it.

12 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Bostons pitch mix is insane and very unconventional. Holliday mainly got changeups, cutters, sweepers, and if I counted the play-by-play right, only 2 or 3 fastballs all series.  Brewers starters (Peralta, Hall, Rea) are 50-55% fastball.  Although I wonder if Holliday goes hitless on Friday if he will get day off against lefty Hall. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Watching him from the stands last night, he definitely looked tense. One thing that jumped out at both my wife and I, during pre-game stretches, he was mostly off by himself while the other infielders were chatting with each other. Maybe that's just how he likes to do things, but the impression that we got was that he's still on the outside looking in when it comes to bonding with the team. I was hoping to see a little more signs of someone like Gunnar taking him under his wing. I might be over-analyzing it, but the whole game he came off as nervous and awkward. Even on his high-five with Gunnar after the HR in the 10th. Hopefully things will loosen up a bit after he gets a couple of hits and feels like he's contributing. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, deward said:

Watching him from the stands last night, he definitely looked tense. One thing that jumped out at both my wife and I, during pre-game stretches, he was mostly off by himself while the other infielders were chatting with each other. Maybe that's just how he likes to do things, but the impression that we got was that he's still on the outside looking in when it comes to bonding with the team. I was hoping to see a little more signs of someone like Gunnar taking him under his wing. I might be over-analyzing it, but the whole game he came off as nervous and awkward. Even on his high-five with Gunnar after the HR in the 10th. Hopefully things will loosen up a bit after he gets a couple of hits and feels like he's contributing. 

He and Cowser were hanging out signing the inside of the monster before the game, and he knows all these guys because they come to his Dad's insane baseball compound. I wouldn't worry about it. It'll take some time.