Could the Orioles be in on Jordan Montgomery after the season officially starts?

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Keygans said:

JM doesn’t want to sign until after the season has started so the QO won’t apply to him.      He is intentionally waiting for that reason.     It lines up nicely with the new ownership settling in…. Hmmm

It’s only relevant if he’s signing a 1-year deal. 

7 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Or if he’s got an opt out in the first year of his deal, which, at this point I feel like is almost a given.

To me, that’s pretty much the same thing.  

10 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I feel like a lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment based on the speculation in this thread. Would be great but I’m dubious. 

Oh I've got dreamer me completely convinced that JM is an Oriole come Thursday. Of course rational me is off to the side shaking her head in disbelief, but who cares what that bitty thinks? It's Opening Day week, and all things are possible!

Edited by Bird Lady
  • Upvote 2

For the record, if we sign him, I will not be surprised. If we don't, I will not be disappointed either cause up until the last few days I never even considered we would or could. I've already got my present for this year - new ownership. Just fun to think about.

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I think Rubenstein is going to take no prisoners and make Montgomery a competitive offer. He sees how close the O's are to starting a dynasty. 

Perhaps the O’s already have a deal in principle but are staying mum so Rubenstein can start his press conference Wednesday and then mid-way through be like “and now I’d like to welcome a surprise guest” - out pops Jordan Montgomery from behind the curtain.

I’ll be shocked if Montgomery signs a long term deal that doesn’t have an opt out after year 1.  If he was going to do that, he’d have taken that deal by now. 

I think the Yankees are most likely. They have a big need at SP, especially with Cole hurt, and a lot riding on this year. They’ve blown past luxury tax thresholds before when they need to.

After that, Red Sox as they’ve been connected to Montgomery all offseason, and probably have the money. 

Beyond that? I think the Orioles are as likely a team as any other. And they’re certainly a better option for a 1 yr deal than pitching in NYY or BOS. 

Astros were rumored in on Snell but up against the luxury tax. Phillies were rumored in on the Boras guys if it got cheap, but their rotation is already quite good and they also are up against the luxury tax too. Diamondbacks have Ed Rod hurt, but already increased payroll a lot. Angels want SP and may have money but are horrible.

Anybody else? Maybe the Mets? Already into 110% luxury tax range. Cubs? Already pushed payroll for Bellinger. Cardinals? Maybe? Made a lot of additions this offseason already, I’m not sure they have another $25M+ in them.

Enough teams should be in the conversation that he’ll still get something around Snell and it’s not likely to be the Orioles, but I think their odds are better than most. They make more sense than most of those other teams if they are actually willing to bump the payroll for Montgomery.

5 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Perhaps the O’s already have a deal in principle but are staying mum so Rubenstein can start his press conference Wednesday and then mid-way through be like “and now I’d like to welcome a surprise guest” - out pops Jordan Montgomery from behind the curtain.

Yeah, that'd be cool. Im hoping for that exact thing to now happen.

What I heard is the Montgomery ask was originally in the Aaron Nola range (seven years, $172 million) and moved more to the Tyler Glasnow area (five years, $136.5 million). The Yanks have privately assessed Montgomery as a No. 3 starter, in part because he does not have high-end swing-and-miss stuff — so think more in the ballpark of Eduardo Rodriguez’s four years at $80 million perhaps. But the lefty has shown he can play in New York and will not be shaken in the postseason.