Could the Orioles be in on Jordan Montgomery after the season officially starts?

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This was the other part of the equation I forgot to add. Now this also could mean he's got a better offer from one of the NY teams and he was just waiting to be cleared of the QO so he's more easily able to go back on the FA market next year. 

But, no one gives him a better ballpark and chance of winning than the Orioles.

Yes, and if you think about it, it actually makes it a bit surprising that Snell signed when he did instead of waiting like Montgomery. Why didn’t Snell wait a couple weeks? Miss a couple starts but not get the QO, probably on net still better for his free agency next year?

Maybe the Giants met his asking price because they were afraid of the big bad Orioles throwing some cash around after Opening Day with their new owner?

And it’s also SUPER strange that Snell had this whole “throw for teams” showcase and Montgomery hasn’t. Same agent, same situation. Feels like Montgomery doesn’t have to sell that he’s ready to go because he already has his deal lined up and they’ve just been waiting for Opening Day to put pen to paper. 

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Yes, and if you think about it, it actually makes it a bit surprising that Snell signed when he did instead of waiting like Montgomery. Why didn’t Snell wait a couple weeks? Miss a couple starts but not get the QO, probably on net still better for his free agency next year?

Maybe the Giants met his asking price because they were afraid of the big bad Orioles throwing some cash around after Opening Day with their new owner?

And it’s also SUPER strange that Snell had this whole “throw for teams” showcase and Montgomery hasn’t. Same agent, same situation. Feels like Montgomery doesn’t have to sell that he’s ready to go because he already has his deal lined up and they’ve just been waiting for Opening Day to put pen to paper. 

What are you folks talking about?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What opening day clause?

To be eligible for the QO you have to spend the whole season with a team, designed so traded guys can’t get a QO. But if they sign after Opening Day, they haven’t spent the whole season with a team - so not eligible for a QO. 

And I would think it’s counted based on that team’s season, so the Dodgers/Padres serious doesn’t count (except for those teams).

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

To be eligible for the QO you have to spend the whole season with a team, designed so traded guys can’t get a QO. But if they sign after Opening Day, they haven’t spent the whole season with a team - so not eligible for a QO. 

And I would think it’s counted based on that team’s season, so the Dodgers/Padres serious doesn’t count (except for those teams).

I don't think that's right.

I think they date you are thinking of is the rule 4 draft date.

Oh sorry, I got confused.

I saw Snell get mentioned and it sidetracked me.

Right, makes sense, sorry again.

I thought the conversation was about not having to pay the draft pick compensation for signing a QO player.

Snell had a QO this offseason so he can't get one again next year anyway.

Edited by Can_of_corn

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think that's right.

I think they date you are thinking of is the rule 4 draft date.

Oh sorry, I got confused.

I saw Snell get mentioned and it sidetracked me.

Right, makes sense, sorry again.

I thought the conversation was about not having to pay the draft pick compensation for signing a QO player.

Snell had a QO this offseason so he can't get one again next year anyway.

Right, it’s a different date. It’s so Montgomery can’t get QO’d. 

And I answered my own question for Snell (and Bellinger and Chapman) - they just had the QO, so they can’t get QO’d again. Montgomery doesn’t have one now, he can.

I suppose once it became clear Montgomery was going to go for a deal with an opt out after year 1, it never made sense to sign before Opening Day. 

1 minute ago, Malike said:

According to Bowden (yeah, I know, I know) there are two teams with long-term deals in to him now. We'll find out one way or the other probably this week I assume.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are plenty of teams with long term deals on the table, but the AAVs are too low such that the 2 yr / opt out structure is preferable. 

Not to get myself too hyped on the idea, but it is interesting how many little things line up:

- QO pick drops off around the same time as new ownership comes in
- Elias would hate to give up a pick, probably, but that roadblock would go away
- OPACY is now attractive to LHP
- Rangers signed Lorenzen
- Yankees seem strapped
- Sox aren't really competitive

Edited by interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not to get myself too hyped on the idea, but it is interesting how many little things line up:

- Elias would hate to give up a pick, probably, but that roadblock would go away
- Yankees seem strapped

There’s no pick for Montgomery now, but otherwise completely agreed. Plus the Giants and Angels were the only other teams known to be in on SP, the Giants signed Snell and the Angels have not been connected with Montgomery.

I also think the fact that Montgomery hasn’t thrown for teams like Snell did could indicate he has a deal in place already, and has just been waiting for Opening Day. That doesn’t mean it’s with the Orioles, though. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

- Yankees seem strapped

And he won’t have to face Mateo

• Haha 2