Could the Orioles be in on Jordan Montgomery after the season officially starts?

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'll believe it when I see it.  I'd say the odds are miniscule.

I think the odds may increase dramatically if the ownership vote goes through Wednesday. Maybe not that it will actually happen.

Just now, jabba72 said:

I think the odds may increase dramatically if the ownership vote goes through Wednesday. Maybe not that it will actually happen.

I don't think they increase much.  They increase over zero, which is where it is until the sale goes through.   After that I'd give it 20-1 odds at best.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't think they increase much.  They increase over zero, which is where it is until the sale goes through.   After that I'd give it 20-1 odds at best.

I think Rubenstein is going to take no prisoners and make Montgomery a competitive offer. He sees how close the O's are to starting a dynasty. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If this is 20/1, at best, I am downvoting this thread.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

JM doesn’t want to sign until after the season has started so the QO won’t apply to him.      He is intentionally waiting for that reason.     It lines up nicely with the new ownership settling in…. Hmmm

I'll believe it when I see it. I feel burned with Holliday. I thought for sure after what Elias said and how he played in ST that he would be on the OD roster.

No more reading of the tea leaves for me. I'll celebrate it when it's real.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'll believe it when I see it.  I'd say the odds are miniscule.

Why though? I expect Montgomery to sign a 2 yr deal for $50-60M with an opt out, like Snell but maybe a bit cheaper. Why is it minuscule odds that the Orioles would be willing to offer that? Or minuscule odds that Montgomery would choose the Orioles with comparable offers from other teams?

I don’t think the Orioles are particularly likely to sign him just because there’s probably a handful of teams in on him, including larger market teams that usually come away with the top free agents. But all of those teams are up against the luxury tax right now. If Rubenstein is in fact willing to run higher payrolls than what Angelos ok’d for this year with Burnes, the Orioles should be able to make an equivalent offer. I don’t think their odds should be any worse than others. 

• Upvote 1