Could the Orioles be in on Jordan Montgomery after the season officially starts?

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

To me, that’s pretty much the same thing.  

Yeah, but anything after 1 year would only be at the detriment to the team. So maybe he makes $24 million in 2024, but it’s structured as 2/48 guaranteed with a player option after 2024. 

I can’t find betting odds on this. There’s some old odds from earlier in the offseason. 

19 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

What I heard is the Montgomery ask was originally in the Aaron Nola range (seven years, $172 million) and moved more to the Tyler Glasnow area (five years, $136.5 million). The Yanks have privately assessed Montgomery as a No. 3 starter, in part because he does not have high-end swing-and-miss stuff — so think more in the ballpark of Eduardo Rodriguez’s four years at $80 million perhaps. But the lefty has shown he can play in New York and will not be shaken in the postseason.

2/48 range?  Opt out after year one.  

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2/48 range?  Opt out after year one.  

Sure I think most teams who have interest would do that deal quickly.

Reading the article though it sounds like he still wants the long-term commitment, even at 4-5 years, more than the 2 year opt out structure. I honestly prefer a deal with some longevity, something that would expire at the time that the Adley/Gunnar/Holliday contracts would start to significantly push up payroll. Montgomery is a legit #2 for a regular contender who should play well in our park. Three straight healthy, consistent, effective seasons, with postseason success. If you’re not paying Burnes something like 8/$280m as a #1, I think having someone like Montgomery at 4/$100m as a stabilizer in the rotation makes a lot of sense. 

I think the October he is coming off of, Jordan Montgomery now wants to sell as much of himself as he can, but all the Sigbots held a pretty tough line on Blake Snell.

Yankee tears are funny and I do believe he had an ax to grind as Brian Cashman treated him like Kyle Gibson, but there was some data behind why Cashman treated him the way he did.    

Until proven wrong - Justin Verlander being a Hall of Famer who was elite and won them a World Series still only getting 2-year chunks is the benchmark transaction for how I think Sigbot slow plays multi-year pitcher commitments.

I would guess Sigbot prefers Burnes on the Rodon contract to Montgomery at half of it if forced to choose, but I think it doesn't really want either one.   It might really want Alex Bregman in the winter if we don't have a 3B, and we still need some championship swag.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

If the Orioles sign Montgomery and he gets inserted into the #5 spot in the rotation to bump out Irvin…he’ll be followed in the rotation by Burnes. Montgomery Burnes. Needs to happen.

Mr. Burns Excellent Excellent Excellent GIF - The Simpsons Evil ...

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Makes some sense now doesn't it? ;)

Can't make any signings right now, but what better way to open up a new season by announcing a new official owner who announces a great big splashy singing. 

I'm not saying this is what's going to happen, but it makes some sense to why has hasn't signed yet.

He makes a lot of sense to this rotation.

The more of your posts in this thread, the more I let myself get carried away with excitement. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I was thinking about this exact situation this morning and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense all around. 

For us he fits in perfectly into the rotation that IMO desperately needs it. We have the money. We should be going all in with most likely only one year of Burnes. No worries about a QO pick being taken away (would have been a surefire dealbreaker for Elias) since he was traded mid-season last year. Even if Bradish and Means come back when we think you always need pitching. 

For Montgomery he gets a one year deal to reprove his worth, pitching in a highly viewed market where he can stick it to the big market teams in division who didn’t offer up the big money he wanted. Good pitchers park, with fantastic run support to give him his best chance to put up numbers for a potential bigger payday next offseason. By waiting until after OD now he takes away the QO worry for teams looking at him next year. 

of course this makes all the sense in the world so waiting to be disappointed when it doesn’t come to fruition….

6 hours ago, Gilbutson said:

Oh and that’s not to mention giving the O’s fans some good vibes after the whole Holliday situation which left slot of us (myself included) with a bad taste in our mouths going into this pivotal year. 

I’m sorry but If you have a bad taste in your mouth because a 20 year old kid has to spend a little more time in AAA, that’s on you, not the team. This is the best team on paper that we’ve seen going into a season in decades and you need good vibes because of Holliday?  That’s absurd. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I’m sorry but If you have a bad taste in your mouth because a 20 year old kid has to spend a little more time in AAA, that’s on you, not the team. This is the best team on paper that we’ve seen going into a season in decades and you need good vibes because of Holliday?  That’s absurd. 

You can’t say the things Elias said about Jackson all spring and then about face and send him down after he has arguably one of the best camps of anyone on the team and not ruffle a few feathers (pun not intended). 
I’m not going into all of this again as it’s been mulled over ad nauseam already, but at the very least the move definitely comes off to some if not most as service time manipulation. All I’m saying is it wouldn’t hurt fan morale to add a serious help to this rotation to go along with the official announcement of Rubenstein coming up. 

Nothing absurd about that. 

Edited by Gilbutson
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gilbutson said:

You can’t say the things Elias said about Jackson all spring and then about face and send him down after he has arguably one of the best camps of anyone on the team and not ruffle a few feathers (pun not intended). 
I’m not going into all of this again as it’s been mulled over ad nauseam already, but at the very least the move definitely comes off to some if not most as service time manipulation. All I’m saying is it wouldn’t hurt fan morale to add a serious help to this rotation to go along with the official announcement of Rubenstein coming up. 

Nothing absurd about that. 

And all I’m saying is, if your morale already needs a boost, that’s sad. I’d hate to see you after our first three game losing streak. 

Montgomery has always made the most sense for this team, even more so now that there are multiple rotation injuries.

If new ownership immediately announced a major signing, that would be an amazing PR move.

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

And all I’m saying is, if your morale already needs a boost, that’s sad. I’d hate to see you after our first three game losing streak. 

Morale, PR boost, whatever verbage you use it would be a very strong move for us. If you’d rather ticky tack over how I said it rather then the rest of the reasons I laid out why the deal would make a ton of sense, by all means go ahead. That’s on you compadre.