Orioles Sign INF/OF Tony Kemp

55 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

First, folks whined about Tyler Nevin offering nothing to this team.  Now they’re whining about Tyler Nevin’s replacement.   LOL

Name a move that Elias has made that the average fan has “liked”?  Just the Burnes trade, but some thought we gave up too much. It’s just comical. 

Just now, waroriole said:

Trolls gonna be disingenuous. 

What’s disingenuous?   McKenna, Nevin, Kemp.  They all have minimal, replacement type value.   They play a minimal role on a team.  There’s no sense in whining over the 26th man on a team.  That’s genuine.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What’s disingenuous?   McKenna, Nevin, Kemp.  They all have minimal, replacement type value.   They play a minimal role on a team.  There’s no sense in whining over the 26th man on a team.  That’s genuine.

Why should the 26th spot be so minimized? It’s not like we have a bunch of unimpeachable starters. Gunnar, Adley, and Santander are the only guys who should be in every day. 

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Why should the 26th spot be so minimized? It’s not like we have a bunch of unimpeachable starters. Gunnar, Adley, and Santander are the only guys who should be in every day. 

I wouldn’t even include Adley since he’s a catcher, but your point is well taken. 

The problem is Holliday should be starting and Urias or Mateo should be that “26th” man. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, waroriole said:

I guess they figure that Cowser will get the majority of extra AB’s available in the OF.   Any other outfielder on the roster would get very sporadic AB’s.   Mountcastle, to your dismay, is getting everyday AB’s with O’Hearn getting some 1B and DH starts.  They’ll also rotate Santander and the others through the DH spot.  Urias is the primary 3B and Westburg the primary 2B.   Mateo gets mostly 2B starts if he’s hitting it looks like.  Westburg might move over to 3B on some of those days.   That leaves very little for Tony Kemp or whoever the 26th man is.

You can disagree with the first 12 position players and their usage but that’s how it looks to me.  Seems nonsensical to complain about the 13th guy.

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

I wouldn’t even include Adley since he’s a catcher, but your point is well taken. 

The problem is Holliday should be starting and Urias or Mateo should be that “26th” man. 

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I guess they figure that Cowser will get the majority of extra AB’s available in the OF.   Any other outfielder on the roster would get very sporadic AB’s.   Mountcastle, to your dismay, is getting everyday AB’s with O’Hearn getting some 1B and DH starts.  They’ll also rotate Santander and the others through the DH spot.  Urias is the primary 3B and Westburg the primary 2B.   Mateo gets mostly 2B starts if he’s hitting it looks like.  Westburg might move over to 3B on some of those days.   That leaves very little for Tony Kemp or whoever the 26th man is.

You can disagree with the first 12 position players and their usage but that’s how it looks to me.  Seems nonsensical to complain about the 13th guy.

So your answer is just that’s how it is, so who am I to question? Isn’t that the purpose of this place? To question what the team is doing. 

24 minutes ago, dystopia said:

But he’ll be in there every day. If he’s not catching, he’s likely the DH. 

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

So your answer is just that’s how it is, so who am I to question? Isn’t that the purpose of this place? To question what the team is doing. 

Nope.  This thread is about Tony Kemp.  It’s already been decided that that spot is going to a marginal player.  Don’t act surprised and above all else don’t whine here.  You can whine all you want in the “Why didn’t Holliday or Mayo make the roster” thread.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Nope.  This thread is about Tony Kemp.  It’s already been decided that that spot is going to a marginal player.  Don’t act surprised and above all else don’t whine here.  You can whine all you want in the “Why didn’t Holliday or Mayo make the roster” thread.

Don’t gatekeep. If I wanna whine in this thread about signing a useless player, I’m 100% gonna do that. 

• Upvote 1

I at least understood the rationale behind the Frazier signing (raising the floor while preserving some service time for prospects who may or may not have been ready), but this one I don't get. I felt like we could go into the season with our current roster, using Nevin for a few weeks vs lefties, and that would've been fine. Having Kemp on a MLB deal, presumably for the entire year, doesn't make much sense to me, with Mateo and Urias around. Wonder if there's a trade coming.

I have to give it to Elias. He knows how to stir the pot. 

IMO, they will bring up Holliday when THEY FEEL he is ready to play every day. There is little sense to have a 20-year-old as the 26th man. Kemp is this year's Frazier at one eighth the price. Last year it was said they wouldn't eat 8 mil so Frazier played. One mil is not a factor. Over/under on Kemp's tenure -30 days. I take the under.