2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Probably easing him back in after not feeling well.  Maybe still feels a little weak

If that’s the case I would just play Kjerstad the way Mountcastle has hit RHP recently. There is so much technology now for guys who get sick. IV vitimans, standard IV and so on.

20 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

If that’s the case I would just play Kjerstad the way Mountcastle has hit RHP recently. There is so much technology now for guys who get sick. IV vitimans, standard IV and so on.

People still get sick and feel bad.  Doesn't seem like a big deal.  Glad he's back in the lineup.

I would wager there are at least three guys on our bench that would be starting for the Yankees today. Maybe all four. Crazy that with guys like Rutschman, Mountie, Hays on the bench, we can field a lineup that looks this dangerous. There are a lot of contending teams that would love to have these guys  (and not just Rutschman) in their lineup every day, let alone as options off the bench. 

Os are almost certainly the deepest team in the majors when it comes to position players. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I would wager there are at least three guys on our bench that would be starting for the Yankees today. Maybe all four. Crazy that with guys like Rutschman, Mountie, Hays on the bench, we can field a lineup that looks this dangerous. There are a lot of contending teams that would love to have these guys  (and not just Rutschman) in their lineup every day, let alone as options off the bench. 

Os are almost certainly the deepest team in the majors when it comes to position players. 

Now if they can do the same with the pitching staff 

13 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Hays is not very good. The bench is where he belongs IMO.

But yes I think most objective observers would say that the O’s are the deepest team in MLB when it comes to having position players. 

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Hays is not very good. The bench is where he belongs IMO.

But yes I think most objective observers would say that the O’s are the deepest team in MLB when it comes to having position players. 

Hays is better than Trent Grisham, a regular Yanks starter including today. Even factoring in Grisham being a superior CF I think they’d have Hays out there pretty often. Urias would play at least some over Lemahieu/Cabrera at third. Rutsch of course would play. And Mountie either over Rice at first, or DH in some other configuration. 

26 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Now if they can do the same with the pitching staff 

Can you name a team that had the deepest pool of position players AND the deepest pool of pitchers?  Can’t have everything. It’s very easy to lose sight of what we do have when you only focus on what we don’t. 

We also have the second lowest team ERA in the majors despite significant injuries to the staff, so there’s that too. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Kjerstad is a nice hedge against the possibility of Cowser spinning his wheels as a MLer. Really they hedge against each other. It's tough for me to trade Kjerstad right now with Santander on his way out and Beavers being a mild disappointment this year. Mayo has zero outfield experience. Not saying I wouldn't do it, just that it's a bit risky.
    • Kjerstad's going to be a middle of the order hitter for the next 6 years, hate to lose him when RF opens for him next year. 
    • Reed Trimble -  The just turned 24 yo OF was our 2nd 2nd round pick in 2021.   Injuries had limited him to 290 PA before this year with mediocre results.   This year at Aberdeen in 24 games and 94 PA he has 7 doubles, 3 triples, 2 homers, a .276 avg, and a .913 OPS.   Extrapolated over 120 games that would be quite a season.   He’s started 40 games in CF in his minor league career and 5 with Aberdeen.   No idea what his long term viability is there but he might be becoming a prospect again. Carter Young -  I can’t believe I just typed “Carter Young”.   I thought Young looked very meh last year in Delmarva.   Then I saw him in a ML ST game and thought he looked stronger, more athletic, at the plate.   Then he proceeded to OPS .340 in April and .440 in May.   I check the mil box scores everyday.  I’m thinking why do they play this guy?   Why don’t they just release this guy.  He stinks.   And then?  I’d see the box scores in June and he wasn’t awful.  So, I just checked.   In June, Carter Young, in 21 games and 87 PA, hit 3 homers, 15 RBI, and a .776 OPS,  the plate discipline (7 BB, 25 K) was not good but it was still something totally unexpected.  In 5 games in July he’s hitting .316 with a .771 OPS.  Hey, I’m not calling him a prospect but if this continues you might be able to mention that word and Carter Young in the same sentence. Juan Rojas -  Juan who?   Yeah, the 4th pitcher we got in the Jorge Lopez trade who had good numbers in the FCL and then bad numbers and injured since we got him.  His numbers still stink (ERA over 6) but two things.   I’ve seen him and he looks pretty good and he’s actually had some good results before tiring.  Still just 20 years old, Rojas only has 21 innings at Delmarva but they’ve been ramping him up slowly as a starter.   Last night he pitched 4 innings and gave up 3 runs.  Not good.   However, the first 4 innings were 1 hit, 0 walks, and 6 strikeouts.    I’ll just say, remember the name.    Yeiber Cartaya -  A 6’5 21 yo RHP signed in 2019 who hasn’t done much so far.  He’s been getting starts in the FCL and has a 5.22 ERA.  He also has 49 K in 29 innings and yesterday walked 2 and K 10 in 4 innings against a strong Pirates team.   I’m hoping the stuff is what I imagine.   Seems like a Felix Bautista type in the regard of “If he can consistently throw strikes he might really be something” and he seems to be figuring it out. I’ve got a few more candidates for this list but that’s it for now.    
    • Man… I think I pull the trigger on that.   Doesn’t cost any of the top 3.    You could replace RMs bat with Mayo.    Losing Kjerstad sucks but you instantly have the best rotation in the majors for this years playoffs AND another arm to pair with Grayson for next year once Burns walks         Now,  would they do this?   They have to strongly consider it… maybe a slight tweak, but I think it’s in the ballpark.       
    • Skubal also has relatively pronounced home and away splits.   His away ERA this year is still good though, 3.16
    • Eh that’s also possibly true. But the risk would be spread over multiple, as we’ve seen, volatile assets. 
  • Popular Contributors