2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

20 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

We'll never know but I'll wonder where we'd be today if the 275/28 ratio between Urias and Mayo PA were different - basically going to Mayo on something like the '22 Adley timeline.

One of the PECOTA previews BP did a couple years ago guessed the Orioles might beat them because it seemed like Elias/Sig had that Cardinals thing where their Bats would "hit the ground running" more than typical Clubs.

Adley and Gunnar did that, but those early successes haven't seen repeated results with Westburg, Cowser, Kjerstad, Holliday or Mayo.

In Westburg and Cowser's cases, growth came.    But it looks a lot like the long term deployment choices are going to end up with 2-3 positions being papered over some during a postseason run.

The Orioles have enjoyed some good play from Urias this season as for several seasons, but in 2024 it also included an opportunity cost of acclimating Mayo to the show.    The 2023 Orioles were much greener in their first playoff appearance than they had to be.

I'm not that worried about Mayo putting up numbers in the Cowser like workload I believe he has coming his way next season, but I am worried somebody's going 1-for-10 or 2-for-20 in an upcoming Yankees series or two.

Westburg didn't hit for power right away but he did hit. Kjerstad hit pretty much right away although maybe not quite ROY contender numbers. Norby hit. It's tough to predict. The risk is more worthwhile when we don't have a producing veteran

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They won’t.

They also demand that prospects come up and mash right away. 

I think we’ve seen that none of our prospects have mashed right away and most have struggled.   It’s September and we’re a half game out.   We already have Holliday going through his growing pains.   Mayo’s defense is shaky at 1B and 3B and like most of our other prospects, looks like he’s going need time to adjust.

Is that a process you want to start now?

43 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

They have a 99% chance of making the playoffs. They are in the perfect opportunity to give him at bats. Playing Mayo over a journeyman scrub like Rivera or someone like Eloy is not going to make a difference. 

What are their % to win the division? (comes with a first round bye) and an AL East Flag, which would be back to back, for the first time since? ( gotta be 5 or 6 years at least}

• Upvote 1

IMO, I'd like to think Elias and Company are playing to the playoffs. Not going to rush anyone back and trying to hit October as healthy as possible. Still trying for best record possible but not worried about winning East and bye just get in which is nearly guarenteed. In the process, seeing who is worth carrying on a playoff roster hence vet playing. I know SSS but do you see Mayo on this year's playoff roster? Not sure I see any of the waiver wires either but that will be determined by health of Urias, Monty, & Westy. I think Big K is out till next year. Sure it would be nice to give Mayo more development time but that will come next year. If his defense were better, it may of come this year. 

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

At no point will people on this site ever understand small sample sizes

Totally agree.  And at no point will some people be able to admit that the shiny, new rookie may be overmatched, and putting him just because hangouters want him in there may not be the best move for team chemistry or results  People need to earn their way when given a chance, and with where we are in the standings, leashes are going to be short.  We're not the White Sox who can afford to play anyone they want because it doesn't matter.

4 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Totally agree.  And at no point will some people be able to admit that the shiny, new rookie may be overmatched, and putting him just because hangouters want him in there may not be the best move for team chemistry or results  People need to earn their way when given a chance, and with where we are in the standings, leashes are going to be short.  We're not the White Sox who can afford to play anyone they want because it doesn't matter.

Coby's problem is not the SSS at bats, but rather his sample size on defense, both minors and majors. He has no position at this point in his career. He's a DH and not in the lineup today because AS is Dhing. Eloy is on the bench as well. Both are PH options so stay ready. 

I remember first time I saw Mountcastle play 1st base in Spring Training a year before he was promoted to the big leagues. He was just god awful at the position, even on routine throws from the other infielders. I have a hard time believing that if Mayo was allowed to focus on 1st that he couldn’t match Mountcastle’s improvement at the position. 

57 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

This is true but when the alternative is Nick Maton, we are probably better off letting the kid take his lumps.

• Upvote 1

I think Hyde is thinking about Mayo’s place on the roster more akin to when they used to let you have anyone on the 40-man up in September - end-of-year taste/ acclimation to big leagues rather than a key roster piece.

However, Maton has quite bad advanced metrics for 3rd base defense (pretty small sample size).