Ryan Mountcastle 2024

Last year he had the excuse of pre/post vertigo. It’s just time to move on after this season. With our roster construction of having Gunnar SS, Westburg 3B, and Holliday 2B, it makes sense to have Mayo 1B. 

Maybe we can trade Mounty for a relief option. I don’t see him bringing anymore than that back. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Last year he had the excuse of pre/post vertigo. It’s just time to move on after this season. With our roster construction of having Gunnar SS, Westburg 3B, and Holliday 2B, it makes sense to have Mayo 1B. 

Maybe we can trade Mounty for a relief option. I don’t see him bringing anymore than that back. 

And most everyone thought it was time to move on from Mateo and Urias and yet, there they were at Spring Training.

Just saying to brace yourself for potential disappointment.

Maybe you and Roy could form a support group?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

And most everyone thought it was time to move on from Mateo and Urias and yet, there they were at Spring Training.

Just saying to brace yourself for potential disappointment.

Maybe you and Roy could form a support group?

We’ll form that support group when we have to trade Mayo, and Basallo, to replace Burnes. 🥲

Edited by sportsfan8703

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Seriously?   He could have been getting work in the weight room without going on the IL.    

162 game season with travel? Are you serious?These guys are trying to maintain not strengthen. I’m not talking about hopping on the elliptical for 20 minutes. I’m talking about pushing big weight and Ice bath recovery. His slugging percentage for the last 3 months is terrible. Just look at his forearms when he comes to the plate. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

162 game season with travel? Are you serious?These guys are trying to maintain not strengthen. I’m not talking about hopping on the elliptical for 20 minutes. I’m talking about pushing big weight and Ice bath recovery. His slugging percentage for the last 3 months is terrible. Just look at his forearms when he comes to the plate. 

These guys train in season. As you mentioned it’s a long season, and these sessions are probably microdosed throughout the week/travel, but they are still training consistently. It makes no scientific sense whatsoever  to think that a 10 day injured list binge of heavy lifting will somehow make him stronger. The majority of their every day training is done during the offseason, and that should carry throughout the season unless they just completely shut down any strength training and nutrition awareness- which they don’t. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, terpoh said:

These guys train in season. As you mentioned it’s a long season, and these sessions are probably microdosed throughout the week/travel, but they are still training consistently. It makes no scientific sense whatsoever  to think that a 10 day injured list binge of heavy lifting will somehow make him stronger. The majority of their every day training is done during the offseason, and that should carry throughout the season unless they just completely shut down any strength training and nutrition awareness- which they don’t. 

Yup. You put your muscle mass on in the offseason to carry you through the season. What you do during the season is mostly maintenance and for good reason. 

31 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

What Terpoh said.   To think some 10 day program of intense lifting is going to make some dramatic difference is ridiculous.    

38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What Terpoh said.   To think some 10 day program of intense lifting is going to make some dramatic difference is ridiculous.    

Not to mention the club is calling it a sprained wrist. So there that.

16 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I hinted at this before but I believe this IL stint will be in the weight room. Mountcastle has a major power outage going. I know some people will say, oh you are saying the Orioles are faking an injury? For a World Series yes. They will not be champions unless their 4 hitter is driving the ball. I always point to DL Hall last year and his IL transition back to bullpen.

8 hours ago, terpoh said:

I don’t think you understand how the weight room works.

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Seriously?   He could have been getting work in the weight room without going on the IL.    

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/sports/orioles-mlb/jon-meoli-jackson-holliday-strength-minor-leagues-44AVLAWNHRFSLEPGMKGEKAFISA/

4 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Yup. You put your muscle mass on in the offseason to carry you through the season. What you do during the season is mostly maintenance and for good reason. 

Holliday(Jackeon) did.  His father is on record saying that one of his differentiators (44.5 WAR .889 lifetime OPS) was his work in the weight room during the season.  He explains that the majority of players only lift for gains and put on mass in off-season and then lose all their gains and are gassed & 5-10 LB lighter at end of year.  He credits his in season heavy lifting and in season strength gains to his success. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t think a team trying to win now should move on from Mountcastle for the potential of someone else. Let next year play out and see what happens. 

Depends what they could get for Mountcastle IMO.  I’d definitely shop him and see what kind of trade value he has.  

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Depends what they could get for Mountcastle IMO.  I’d definitely shop him and see what kind of trade value he has.  

I'm a fan of Mountcastle, but you consider trading anyone if the offer is right.  But, I still think he's undervalued.  He's a plus defender at 1B and slightly better than a league average hitter.  Mayo has not proven he can play on the infield grass.  In fact, his performance argues against that.  Personally, I think Basallo will be the replacement at 1B in the long term.  

And, if the Orioles are going to trade a veteran fielder during the off season, I think it's more likely to be Mullins than Mountcastle.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I'm a fan of Mountcastle, but you consider trading anyone if the offer is right.  But, I still think he's undervalued.  He's a plus defender at 1B and slightly better than a league average hitter.  Mayo has not proven he can play on the infield grass.  In fact, his performance argues against that.  Personally, I think Basallo will be the replacement at 1B in the long term.  

And, if the Orioles are going to trade a veteran fielder during the off season, I think it's more likely to be Mullins than Mountcastle.

By members of this board?

Yes.

Anywhere else?  Not that I've seen.