Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

Just now, Sports Guy said:

If they DFA Urias, I have no doubt they could trade him but Urias isn’t the only one taking at bats away from him.

Thats true, but I think that’s the easiest way to get him the bulk of ABs he’ll receive.  Supplement those ABs with DH vs. LHP.  

47 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Thats true, but I think that’s the easiest way to get him the bulk of ABs he’ll receive.  Supplement those ABs with DH vs. LHP.  

I think benching Adley more would work..in other words, catch him more and barely DH.  So, I guess it’s really about taking at bats away from McCann but as a result of this, it would mean less DH time for Adley.

5 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

As many have alluded to, it is simply incredible that Ramon Urias is here and getting AB's while Mayo destroys AAA.  Defense is a factor that often gets overlooked, especially when looking at such amazing stats.  However, based on Elias' comments it seems the O's have grown comfortable enough with Mayo that they expect him to at least be about average there.  What's the holdup?

He'll be fine, I'm always somewhat skeptical about defensive scouting reports.  I think that ME hasn't given him OF reps-not even in ST which tells me they aren't seriously considering moving him off the dirt.  As @Tony-OH noted he's had 3 errors on his last ~40 games-no one seems to be worried about Hollliday who at 2B has made 10 in the same time period.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think benching Adley more would work..in other words, catch him more and barely DH.  So, I guess it’s really about taking at bats away from McCann but as a result of this, it would mean less DH time for Adley.

Have you seen his numbers as a DH? Yeah, I wouldn’t do that.

Just now, Spakman said:

Have you seen his numbers as a DH? Yeah, I wouldn’t do that.

If he can’t hit as a catcher, trade him. This idea that he can only hit as a DH is absurd to me.

I know the numbers are excellent but so what. His value to the team isnt supposed to be as a DH….its supposed to be as a catcher. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If he can’t hit as a catcher, trade him. This idea that he can only hit as a DH is absurd to me.

I know the numbers are excellent but so what. His value to the team isnt supposed to be as a DH….its supposed to be as a catcher. 

If he’s going to OPS over 1.000 he can DH all 162 games.   The OPS splits seem kind of flukish for now.   Except he’s .768 catching and .925 DH for his career.   Interesting.

What’s your reason for trading him now? He is controlled.  He is one of the best hitters in a major leagues that can play a serviceable catcher and your trading him because he didn’t meet your expectations as a hitting catcher. What they need to do is find a better backup catcher. Not trade one of their best players. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If he’s going to OPS over 1.000 he can DH all 162 games.   The OPS splits seem kind of flukish for now.   Except he’s .768 catching and .925 DH for his career.   Interesting.

He’s backed in a corner just said something stupid and he’s gonna fight it to the death like always. 😂

Just now, Spakman said:

He’s backed in a corner just said something stupid and he’s gonna fight it to the death like always. 😂

Yeah, catching him less seems to be working for Adley.  It’s just that McCann is a zero on offense.

Let's try not to get off the Mayo subject in his thread. 

I agree that catching Adley more would free up more DHing opportunities for Mayo, especially against left-handers since you have assume O'Hearn is still going to DH against righties. I think the Orioles though are trying to keep Adley out of the heat as much possible and we'll see him catch much more down the stretch and almost everyday in the playoffs.

While I want to see Mayo up here now, I also wonder if they are thinking they can give him the Gunnar treatment and keep him available to be RoY candidate next year, but also available for the playoffs by bringing up on 31 August. 

I mean if the Orioles are winning with their current roster, and the fact that the team may lose a little defense by putting Mayo at 3B and moving Westburg back to 2B (where's he been much worse this year), could also be an issue that holds him up.

Westburg's struggles at 2B with range and turning DPs has not helped Mayo. Mateo has played so well there defensively and Westburg so well at 3B, i think Elias is concerned about changing his defensive dynamics.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

A half season seems flukish to me. Basically every year Rutschman has shown to be a much better hitter when he's not crouching all game. Which is also why a lot of impact bats that play catcher are eventually moved.

I'm not saying Adley shouldn't catch, just saying that it does seem that his bat is better when not catching. 

It’s an interesting dilemma.   

29 minutes ago, Spakman said:

What’s your reason for trading him now? He is controlled.  He is one of the best hitters in a major leagues that can play a serviceable catcher and your trading him because he didn’t meet your expectations as a hitting catcher. What they need to do is find a better backup catcher. Not trade one of their best players. 

Seriously?  I’m not truly saying to trade him.  It was a tongue and cheek sarcastic comment.

However, if he can’t hit well as a catcher but everyone values him as the best catcher in the league and you can get a ton for him, trade him.  We didn’t draft him to be a DH and I doubt if he was a full time DH that he would hit close to a 1000 OPS anyway.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1