Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

So who goes when Westburg and Urias come back?   My first cut is Jimenez.   The second is harder.    Liv Soto is the backup SS so I keep him.     Rivera is a good back up at 1B.   He is out of options.   Then there are  Holliday and Mayo.   Both have options.

What's a GM to do?

Depends to some extent on Mountcastle and we don't have Elias's info. All things equal Soto is the last guy I would cut. He can punch run as well as back up any position other than 1B. 1B is tricky but in addition to Mountcastle we have Mayo and Santander. I don't think back up RH 1B is a reason to keep Rivera. 

Westburg for Eloy, Urias for Rivera.

Then if Mountcastle makes it the question is Mayo, Holliday, or Soto. I'm inclined to option Mayo but could go with Holliday too 

Scratches head... (and no I don't have the stats handy).. Rivera is hitting? I don't have a memory of that recently.

Soto is basically the Mateo replacement so I don't see him going anywhere (he probably even sticks on the playoff roster).

If it was me, I would have dumped Rivera today and then sent Mayo out when Mountcastle returns. Mayo has looked serviceable in the field, esp at first.

Instead, Mayo goes today for Urias, then Rivera and Jimenez go when Westburg and Mountcastle return.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Depends to some extent on Mountcastle and we don't have Elias's info. All things equal Soto is the last guy I would cut. He can punch run as well as back up any position other than 1B. 1B is tricky but in addition to Mountcastle we have Mayo and Santander. I don't think back up RH 1B is a reason to keep Rivera. 

Westburg for Eloy, Urias for Rivera.

Then if Mountcastle makes it the question is Mayo, Holliday, or Soto. I'm inclined to option Mayo but could go with Holliday too 

No way would I keep Mayo over Rivera, and it looks like the Orioles wouldn’t either.

I guess with this morning's news a decision is revealed.

There's risk in any choice you make, including the one to have Coby Mayo playing in a AAA ballpark with suboptimal player protective infrastructure after a half season of crushing the level.    Maximizing a diverse portfolio of large and small assets is complex.

5 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Roch might be wrong about Urias. They just selected the contract of Daniel Johnson. 

Never underestimate this regime's talent to defer a decision to gather another day or so of information.

I was legit surprised the Zach Eflin action occurred so far in advance of the deadline.    It is the signature growth move for me of Elias' 2024.

58 minutes ago, survivedc said:

No way would I keep Mayo over Rivera, and it looks like the Orioles wouldn’t either.

Right.

1. Rivera consistently plays over Mayo.  Whether justified or not, he’s clearly higher in the pecking order right now. You don’t cut the second-string player to keep the third-string player.  (Obviously Mayo will be the better long term player and has the better pedigree but we’re talking specifically about the next two weeks).

2. Mayo has an option and Rivera doesn’t. Rivera provides depth going into next year, provides some flexibility to trade Urias if the right offer presents itself, and does several things well as a role player (even if perceived by fans with stigma of waiver wire scrub).