John Means 2024

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Take away that home run and you still don't have a quality start. You still have a ton of traffic on the bases. You still don't have clean innings.

He probably pitches another inning if not for home plate umpire BS — plus the pop that wasn’t caught was really unlucky. 

He's working into the 3rd inning - struck out the #8 hitter and walked the #9 hitter to open the frame.    41 pitches first time through the order.

Edit - finished 3rd inning, got to 61 pitches.    The last couple 4-seam fastballs gameday had as 89's.

Edited by Just Regular

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

He probably pitches another inning if not for home plate umpire BS — plus the pop that wasn’t caught was really unlucky. 

Was he "unlucky" in his first start too? Or was that one due more to his lack of ability? I ask because the results were just about the same.

PSA:  90-92 MPH is pretty normal even for good LHP.  Plenty of things to point to in his profile with concern, but I don't think that's the red flag people think it is.

The 4S has been hit hard in the 28 times he has throw it though.  A little worse run value than the CH.  Career worse K% and BB% has led to a bad WHIP too.  

Just now, btdart20 said:

PSA:  90-92 MPH is pretty normal even for good LHP.  Plenty of things to point to in his profile with concern, but I don't think that's the red flag people think it is.

The 4S has been hit hard in the 28 times he has throw it though.  A little worse run value than the CH.  Career worse K% and BB% has led to a bad WHIP too.  

My bad.  This was about Irvin, not Means...

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

As long as he's healthy I think he'll be okay. I'm not putting too much weight on his AAA lines, he's working on things, I'm sure. 

Point still stands for Means! :)

Edited by Malike

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Means done after three innings. Threw alot of pitchers in the third and velocity was down. I guess he will only have two more outings  before the majors but definitely a work in progress.

He certainly has time to make 3 more starts down there.  His rehab period can extend through April 29 if needed.  Doesn’t mean they’ll use all of it, but they could if he’s not that sharp.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

He certainly has time to make 3 more starts down there.  His rehab period can extend through April 29 if needed.  Doesn’t mean they’ll use all of it, but they could if he’s not that sharp.

You are right. Three starts seems likely unless the next two are lights out.

I watched his innings today. Eh... I dunno man. It's hard to tell if he's just pitching a certain way because it's rehab/spring training, like Burnes was, or what. 

But surface-level, his fastball command looks pretty poor, he's not getting whiffs on much of anything except one good change up (might have missed others, not sure), saw a couple mediocre curves that he didn't throw for strikes. 

It's looking kind of Zimmermann-y so far to be perfectly honest. I'm not seeing any plus pitches. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I watched his innings today. Eh... I dunno man. It's hard to tell if he's just pitching a certain way because it's rehab/spring training, like Burnes was, or what. 

But surface-level, his fastball command looks pretty poor, he's not getting whiffs on much of anything except one good change up (might have missed others, not sure), saw a couple mediocre curves that he didn't throw for strikes. 

It's looking kind of Zimmermann-y so far to be perfectly honest. I'm not seeing any plus pitches. 

On Threads, @oriolesontheverge says he got 7 whiffs, 3 on the change, 3 on the curve. Not sure about the 7th haha. Maybe it's a typo. But that's at least more whiffs than I caught while half paying attention. So that's something. 

One of the runs he let up was kind of a weak effort from Kjerstad in RF that I'm fairly sure Santander or Cowser would have gotten to.