John Means 2024

Tony-OH

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

WC wanted to give him a contract extension.  Others agreed although I don’t remember who they were.  I think Frobby was open to the discussion??

Count me in I was there, see above post.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

WC wanted to give him a contract extension.  Others agreed although I don’t remember who they were.  I think Frobby was open to the discussion??

I was and still am a Means defender.   Velocity is not John's game.   In 2019 his average 4 seamer was 91.7 mph.   But his changeup was 80.9 mph and his curve was 77 mph according to Statcast.  John went 12-11 with a 3.60 ERA that year on a bad team.   It's the different in the speeds of the pitches that makes John effective.

According to the information I found about a Texas pitcher in 2022 coming off TJ surgery the O's can and I think probably will apply to MLB for another month of rehab in 10 day increments.   John's comeback story is far from over IMO.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I was and still am a Means defender.   Velocity is not John's game.   In 2019 his average 4 seamer was 91.7 mph.   But his changeup was 80.9 mph and his curve was 77 mph according to Statcast.  John went 12-11 with a 3.60 ERA that year on a bad team.   It's the different in the speeds of the pitches that makes John effective.

According to the information I found about a Texas pitcher in 2022 coming off TJ surgery the O's can and I think probably will apply to MLB for another month of rehab in 10 day increments.   John's comeback story is far from over IMO.

I agree it’s far froM over but the idea that we should have already signed him to an extension is and was crazy.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hope you're right.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree it’s far froM over but the idea that we should have already signed him to an extension is and was crazy.

There was health information that I did not have when I made the statement.  I didn't realize that missing a playoff game due to soreness would result in such a long recovery.   Of course he would have to show he is healthy before signing him to an extension.  But a 2025 rotation of GRod, Bradish, Kremer, Means and Povich  is still possible if John recovers.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You're definitely right about the a contract extension, but that was months ago hopefully right about the comeback journey not being over.

I am neither a Means defender nor a Means detractor.   He’s been valuable in the past, including his short stint last year.   This rehab has not gone well.  Hopefully it will improve.  We aren’t going to activate him if he isn’t ready to help the team.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am neither a Means defender nor a Means detractor.   He’s been valuable in the past, including his short stint last year.   This rehab has not gone well.  Hopefully it will improve.  We aren’t going to activate him if he isn’t ready to help the team.  

I thought the rehab starts had a time limit? 30 Days?

Just now, Satyr3206 said:

I thought the rehab starts had a time limit? 30 Days?

They can always conclude he’s not recovered and put him back on the IL, so long as they think they can justify it.  And wildcard seems to think they can petition to extend his rehab.  I’ve never heard of that but wildcard says Texas did it previously.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They can always conclude he’s not recovered and put him back on the IL, so long as they think they can justify it.  And wildcard seems to think they can petition to extend his rehab.  I’ve never heard of that but wildcard says Texas did it previously.   

This is what I found:

Rangers will extend rehab for RHP Jonathan Hernandez

Dallas News

https://www.dallasnews.com › Sports › Rangers

Jul 1, 2022 — Up to three 10-day extensions are permitted for shoulder and elbow surgery patients, but must be approved by MLB and the Players Association.

• Thanks 1

Just now, wildcard said:

This is what I found:

Dallas News

Jul 1, 2022 — Up to three 10-day extensions are permitted for shoulder and elbow surgery patients, but must be approved by MLB and the Players Association.

Interesting. Never heard of that before.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This is what I found:

Dallas News

Thanks. Never heard of that until now. I would not be surprised if the Orioles try this with Means.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There was health information that I did not have when I made the statement.  I didn't realize that missing a playoff game due to soreness would result in such a long recovery.   Of course he would have to show he is healthy before signing him to an extension.  But a 2025 rotation of GRod, Bradish, Kremer, Means and Povich  is still possible if John recovers.

You had the same info we have now. You knew he missed the playoffs because of an injury. 

You knew we had barely seen him since the TJ surgery. 

And that was part of the point but you dismissed it.

I am guessing the extension only works when the player is rehabbing directly following recovery from surgery.   That was the case with Hernandez.  But in Means’ case, he pitched in four major league games, pretty effectively, after his 2023 rehab stint.  So I doubt this would count as a post-surgery rehab.  I guess we’ll find out.  

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I know that you know this but probably don’t care. But the facts are 2019 was A LONG TIME AGO. And his initial injury was now 2 years ago.

I’m not sure how relevant those 2019 numbers are to the ineffective pitcher that he is right now.

We waited on him all season last year and that didn’t prove to be wise. If we get something from him that will probably be a great bonus. But I hope that there is now a plan A that doesn’t include waiting for a now off injury pitcher to turn back into the player that he was 5 years ago.