John Means 2024

Tony-OH

49 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Deflect? From what? I don’t think that Irvin is a very good starting pitcher. What is there to deflect from?

I didn't say anything about his first start. He pitched much better in his 2nd, even if the stat line didn't show it. I don't know why you brought up his first start. 

Irvin is perfectly fine for a backup 5th starter. 

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

On Threads, @oriolesontheverge says he got 7 whiffs, 3 on the change, 3 on the curve. Not sure about the 7th haha. Maybe it's a typo. But that's at least more whiffs than I caught while half paying attention. So that's something. 

One of the runs he let up was kind of a weak effort from Kjerstad in RF that I'm fairly sure Santander or Cowser would have gotten to. 

Statcast has him with 7 WHIFFs (23%), 3 on curve, 3, change, 1 4-seamer. 
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?date=2024-04-11&chartType=pitch&legendType=pitchName&playerType=pitcher&inning=&count=&pitchHand=&batSide=&descFilter=&ptFilter=&resultFilter=&hf=playerBreakdown&sportId=11#752714

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I didn't say anything about his first start. He pitched much better in his 2nd, even if the stat line didn't show it. I don't know why you brought up his first start. 

Irvin is perfectly fine for a backup 5th starter

Those 2 starts are the only starts that he has made this year. It's all I have to go off of in terms of information for this season. 

I respect your opinion about his 2nd start being much better than his first. I respectfully disagree. When I look at his pitch arsenal (his overall ability/talent) to be a starting pitcher, I see a very small window for success. At that velo and with those secondaries AND with that command, I just don't see a very good probability for success.

I agree with your overall assessment though in terms of him being a backup type option for a short period of time. I really hope that we have some one else starting in his place once we get to the meat of the schedule beginning in June. I don't want to see him face lineups like the Yanks, Braves, Rangers, Dodgers, Astros, etc because I shutter to think how that will go.

5 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I know that you are not saying this as a definitive, but when I see people say Irvin is unlucky, my response is how? I know not everyone consumes the games the same say and some follow through, gamecast, boxscores, other type of statcast sources of info. But to those who watch him pitch, I struggle to see a reasonable conclusion drawn for his lack of success that can be explained as "unlucky".

From what my non-trained eye can detect, he simply does not possess the talent/stuff profile to be a very good starting pitching on a contending team. The velo being very low 90's, without a plus change, and he does not have good command. There are some ABs routinely where he just totally loses the strike zone.

I respect that he tried to redefine his pitch arsenal/repertoire in the offseason (as I always respect pros who continue to work on their craft). But he's just not that good. And the more times he goes through the lineup, it usually doesn't go well. He struggles to have clean innings and the bases are usually littered with traffic. 

I respect that he had a short stretch last year of effective/decent starts. But IMO he is not a guy that I would want or believe should be starting on a playoff caliber team. Thankfully, he is only a "fill-in for now for us" and hopefully he will be gone soon. Maybe to the bullpen? But even that looks iffy because Akin is already occupying the role that he would have some use in. 

Take last night. He had the guy struck out but didn't get the call for the 3rd out. He then gives up a 2 run HR. That's why I say he is both unlucky and not very good at the same time. He is unlucky, and then he isn't good enough to overcome it.

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

Take last night. He had the guy struck out but didn't get the call for the 3rd out. He then gives up a 2 run HR. That's why I say he is both unlucky and not very good at the same time. He is unlucky, and then he isn't good enough to overcome it.

This is a sound, rational, reasonable take I can agree with. It’s not either/or but both/and.

• Upvote 1

The latest from Roch:

John Means, meanwhile, remains on his rehab assignment with Triple-A Norfolk and is starting tonight.

Asked whether Means is one more rotation turn away from rejoining the Orioles, Hyde said, “Yeah, at least.”

—-

Sounds like he’s likely to max out his rehab time, which ends April 30.   

How are they going to utilize a guy with such bad numbers? Surely they won’t have him join the rotation after his rehab is up based solely on past success. I bet he gets shut down again before it’s over.