2024 Delmarva Shorebirds

DirtyBird

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 12:17 PM, Tony-OH said:

For an organization that certainly values defense at the major league level, they sure do draft/sign a lot of bat first guys and hope their defense can be developed.

One of my concerns with their defensive developmental plans is the org put such a value on being versatile, that most players never play one position all the time. Instead they are moved around a lot. I can understand that with some players who will need that versatility to have value in the majors, but guys that are going to be everyday big leagues need to play the position where they are most likely going to play with the Orioles. 

Sure, I get playing a guy in another position once in awhile, but put the best out there at their best positions and let it fly. Look at all the positions these Latin American infielders play in the DSL/FCL. They sign so many "SS's" but when you see them live, I'm like, "No way you should have been wasting SS reps on this guy." 

So yes, I do think it's ok to question the Orioles player development strategy under Blood to play guys all over versus having them focus on their most likely major league position.

It may have worked with uber athletes like Gunnar or Westburg, but it's not working with others. 

I think there is more to it than just simply versatility.  There are PHDs out there that study and focus on high level achievers, mostly in sports but also in other areas.  They’ve found that the brain grows through a process called myelination when someone repeatedly puts forth a concentrated, specific, and challenged effort.  This is why implements and constraints are used in throwing and hitting development.  A hitter will become much better if they are using different size & weight bats and if their bodies are in different positions.  The brain organizes the motor skills and works hard to achieve an end and in doing so becomes better at that skill.  This is why pitchers use different weight balls and balls of different sizes to hone in on command.  A batter using the same bat, from the same position, hitting the same pitch will never improve even if they take 1,000 swings per day.  The same theory goes for fielding.  Different balls, from different angles, in different positions that require differ throws all while concentrating/focusing at a high level (not being comfortable repeating  the same stuff) will have a greater longer term effect than repeated non-challenging reps from one position.  The brain adapts and grows from performing challenging and specific motor skills.  I agree they need to pick and chose a bit who this so best suited for.  I also agree is super frustrating to watch as the players take their lumps, play new positions, and even play positions for the first time.  I also think defense is much easier to develop than hitting.  So I understand the thought of drafting bat first players who are athletic and then working with them.  Will this work? I don’t think we can say for sure yet.  I think we will need to see the second, third, and fourth wave come through to determine that.  But I do think it’s done intentionally with the long term goal to develop the absolute  best possible baseball player and not done hap haphazardly.

Edited by emmett16

Estrada and Tejada both continued their recent surges today.  Estrada was 2 for 4 with a double, while Tejada was 3 for 3  with a homer.  Tejada has his OPS up to .737, not bad for a league where .654 is average.  Estrada is at .628 and climbing.  

Braxton Bragg has been great so far...24 IP, 33 K, 4 BB.  Love the low walk total.  He needs a bump to Aberdeen.  This last class was the first Elias really focused on pitching after the early rounds.  Bragg as a 2023 8th rounder might be a hidden gem.

Posted (edited)

I know little to nothing about Issac Solano.  I know he’s 21 and spent 2 years in the DSL and another 2 years in the FCL.  I know he’s listed at 6’6 195.  I know in 4 years he’s pitched a total of 77 innings most of which were bad.  I had noticed a couple of impressive outings the last two years and wondered what kind of stuff he had.  I watched him pitch 2 innings last night and I still don’t know.   Bad camera angle and no help from the announcers regarding his velocity.

Here’s what I do know.

1. He threw a high percentage of strikes.

2. He has pretty normal mechanics.

3.   He faced 6 hitters.  5 had no chance.  The other hit a routine fly to CF.

4. He was 195 pounds at least 30 pounds ago but he looks strong and solid.

5.  He might be a guy.

Calling @Tony-OH

Edited by RZNJ
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I know little to nothing about Issac Solano.  I know he’s 21 and spent 2 years in the DSL and another 2 years in the FCL.  I know he’s listed at 6’6 195.  I know in 4 years he’s pitched a total of 77 innings most of which were bad.  I had noticed a couple of impressive outings the last two years and wondered what kind of stuff he had.  I watched him pitch 2 innings last night and I still don’t know.   Bad camera angle and no help from the announcers regarding his velocity.

Here’s what I do know.

1. He threw a high percentage of strikes.

2. He has pretty normal mechanics.

3.   He faced 6 hitters.  5 had no chance.  The other hit a routine fly to CF.

4. He was 195 pounds at least 30 pounds ago but he looks strong and solid.

5.  He might be a guy.

Calling @Tony-OH

I'll be honest, wasn't on my radar until this post. I went back and watched his outing and all of your observations are right on in my opinion. Lots of swing and miss and definitely not a195 pounds lol. Has had command problem in past but not this outing. 

I'll see what I an dig up about him but would be nice to have velo. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2024 at 6:28 AM, emmett16 said:

I think there is more to it than just simply versatility.  There are PHDs out there that study and focus on high level achievers, mostly in sports but also in other areas.  They’ve found that the brain grows through a process called myelination when someone repeatedly puts forth a concentrated, specific, and challenged effort.  This is why implements and constraints are used in throwing and hitting development.  A hitter will become much better if they are using different size & weight bats and if their bodies are in different positions.  The brain organizes the motor skills and works hard to achieve an end and in doing so becomes better at that skill.  This is why pitchers use different weight balls and balls of different sizes to hone in on command.  A batter using the same bat, from the same position, hitting the same pitch will never improve even if they take 1,000 swings per day.  The same theory goes for fielding.  Different balls, from different angles, in different positions that require differ throws all while concentrating/focusing at a high level (not being comfortable repeating  the same stuff) will have a greater longer term effect than repeated non-challenging reps from one position.  The brain adapts and grows from performing challenging and specific motor skills.  I agree they need to pick and chose a bit who this so best suited for.  I also agree is super frustrating to watch as the players take their lumps, play new positions, and even play positions for the first time.  I also think defense is much easier to develop than hitting.  So I understand the thought of drafting bat first players who are athletic and then working with them.  Will this work? I don’t think we can say for sure yet.  I think we will need to see the second, third, and fourth wave come through to determine that.  But I do think it’s done intentionally with the long term goal to develop the absolute  best possible baseball player and not done hap haphazardly.

Can we implement some sort of paragraph policy around here?

On 5/17/2024 at 12:14 PM, glenn__davis said:

After the horrible start Delmarva has won 7 of their last 12.

Meanwhile Braylin Tavera had a nice 3-game stretch May 8-10 but hasn't played since.  Anyone know why?

I see that Tavera is on the 7-day IL, and still hasn't played since May 10.  Has there been any news on what the injury is?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I see that Tavera is on the 7-day IL, and still hasn't played since May 10.  Has there been any news on what the injury is?

Single-A Delmarva placed Tavera on its 7-day injured list Wednesday with a right shoulder sprain, Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports. Tavera hadn't played since Friday due to the injury. The 19-year-old outfielder has looked overmatched thus far across his 110 plate appearances in the Carolina League, slashing .May 15, 2024

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Single-A Delmarva placed Tavera on its 7-day injured list Wednesday with a right shoulder sprain, Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports. Tavera hadn't played since Friday due to the injury. The 19-year-old outfielder has looked overmatched thus far across his 110 plate appearances in the Carolina League, slashing .May 15, 2024

Thanks RZ!

11 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Thanks RZ!

No problem.  I have to needle you though.  I just googled “Braylin Tavera injury” and that was the first thing that it picked up.  I had no idea what his injury was either.  I guess we all missed it.

See new posts

Conversation

The Verge- An Orioles MiLB Podcast

@TheVergePod

On The Verge #BabyBird of the day for 5/26: IF Aron Estrada (DEL): 3/5, HR, 2 RBI, SB After hitting .155 with a .189 OBP in his first month of full-season ball, the 19-year-old is hitting .320 with a .393 OBP in May.

On 4/1/2024 at 5:08 PM, RZNJ said:

Raul Rangel was released.   Maikol Hernandez had major surgery.  I believe TJ.    

I don’t know if anyone mentioned it, Maikol Hernandez and Luis Valdez are on rehab in the FCL.   I’m not sure anyone cares.  lol

On 4/22/2024 at 11:48 AM, Frobby said:

The Shorebirds are 2-12 and are being outscored by more than a 2-1 margin, 5.71 runs allowed per game to 2.79 runs scored.   The latter figure is worst in the lesgue by more than half a run.  

Two offensive bright spots are Aneudis Mordan (.881 OPS) and Thomas Sosa (.764).  Several of the big names like Leandro Arias (.495) and Braylin Tavera (.376) are really struggling.  

On the pitching side, the staff leads the Carolina League at 12.1 K/9 but they have the second worst ERA in the league.  It’s a little hard to tell why, as the numbers like H/9, BB/9 and HR/9 are all middle of the pack.   A number of pitchers are faring well, like Michael Forret (3.46 ERA but 0.692 WHIP and 10 straight scoreless innings), Riley Cooper (0.84 ERA) and Jacob Cravey (0.82).  Luis De Leon is off to a decent start at 2.53 ERA.

Overall, it’s a miserable start with the hitting being the biggest culprit.   Hopefully the hitters, who are the second youngest group in the league, will improve as the year goes along, or it will be a very long season.

In May so far.

Estrada (19).  766 OPS

Sosa (19)  .814 OPS

Arias (19) .876 OPS (6 games)

Acevedo (21) 1.010 OPS (12 games)

Braylin Tavera 19) still out with sprained shoulder and needs to get it going as well but some good signs of progress.

• Upvote 1